X3 discussion *SPOLIERS ABOUND*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was a pretty good movie, like a few have said the editing was off and I didn't much care for the "Brotherhood". Vinnie as Juggs was pretty cool, I wish they would of had more him and I wish Angel would of wore a X-men outfit also.

It was an entertaining ride but it came up short in my opinion.

Multiple Man and Colossus were not used as I would have liked. The X-Men team seemed weaked partially because of Colossus not coming off as the powerhouse he is and Nightcrawler's noticeable absence. The spotlight they gave Beast during the final battle should have been more split with Colossus. The addition of Gambit would have been great but I guess they could not work it into the story.

I liked the they featured more of Kitty Pride as she does have one of the more interesting powers. Especially when it's used offensively. I enjoyed the scene at the Grey's house the most probably because I did not expect for them to kill off the professor. Surprisingly I liked the whole Juggernaut thing. I though it would come off as cheesy but it was funny. Iceman is a very powerful mutant and at least his powers were featured a bit more.

Overall it was worth seeing but as a comics fan there was so much more I would have liked to see. Not in terms of what they left out but in terms of execution of the movie itself.

Just got back from seeing it - loved it! Except for a few cheesy one-liners and a couple of pretty corny "NoooooOOOoooooOO!" moments, I thought it was great. Man, the guy who plays Cyclops is a horrible actor... I was glad he died, is that mean?

LOVED the "Don't you know who I am?" Juggernaut bit. Those guys who made that video must have been in shock to see it realized in the film! I wish Juggernaut could have had a bigger part. And Angel too.

But all in all I loved it. Better than the first, not quite as good as the second, but almost. I'm not familiar with the comics at all, so all the 'problems' that bother the fans of the comics don't bother me at all! I may see it again in the theaters, which is the official SideshowDusty 'stamp of approval' :)

(Oh, and did anyone else think 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend' looks hilarious? The trailer made me LOL, especially the part where she throws the shark at him!)

Sorry if this is Off Topic, but does anyone here know where i can get an accurate pair of "side-blinder" attachments for my Cyclops Oakley Juliets?

Re: Did he move it?-BIG, HUGE HONKIN' SPOILERS FOR X-3!!!!!!!!!!!

Migwit said:
You've already got "Huge Honkin' Spoilers" in the thread title, so for those of us who probably won't ever get to see this movie, WHO moved WHAT? :confused: :lol

yeh what's this he moved or didn't move it thing???

the only part i laughed at during the juggernaut and kitty scene was when she called him a ********.

Now X3 TLS has officially had the largest Memorial Day Weekend opening to date, as well as the fourth highest all time opening.

Just a few things to point out. The "M'Kraan Crystal" (pronounced "emcron") storyline would have taken a staggering amount of effort to work into the plot. The easier path for the writers to take was simply to present it as the next evolutionary stage of Jean Grey's powers. As far as being "cheesy" goes with Wolverine and Jean at the end, it was far from my interpretation of it as rather touching. With Jean as the last of the three major heroes aced in this movie, the fact that she fell to the claws of Wolverine was moving. Jean was essentially Wolverine's impetus to stay with the X-Men initially, having awoken to see a beautiful redhead instead of the Canadian wilderness he last saw. Jean was the object of Wolverine's affection from Day 1 with his association with the X-Men. To see Wolverine gradually morph from a loner to a leader came full circle when in order to save everyone he had to cut down the one most beloved to him.

The Juggernaught in this movie is also an alteration from what the fandom is familiar with. Yes, he is Xavier's brother, but why really bother go into the explanation about how this mountain of brawn is actually the sibling of one of the greatest intellects known to the world? It would be a bit much for the audience to come to terms with. That aside, many don't know that Juggernaught isn't even mutant, he's a human who obtained what is known as the Ruby of Cytorak which rendered him practically invulnerable with boundless strength. One scene I was hoping to see was a clash between Colossus and Juggernaught, as they are really more on the same level than Wolverine and Juggernaught. It just seems to be a running trend that in order to test a villain in terms of brute strength in the X-Men films, the character must go up against the Wolverine who we were introduced to as "The King of the Cage" in the first X-Men, conveyed as the toughest of the tough from the instant the character stepped onto the screen. Going back to Juggernaught, though, I think it was a wise decision to conceive of the film version as a mutant with the inherent strength that the Ruby of Cytorak would have granted the human Cain Marko. His character wouldn't have been on the mobile mutant prison facility, and Magneto would not have accepted him into the Brotherhood were he not a mutant; case in point, look at how quick Magnus was to cast aside Mystique like a broken blade when she turned to a Homo Sapiens.

This brings me to Magneto in all his glory in this movie. I'll admit immediately that Magneto is my favorite character in all Marvel, just to get it out of the way that I have a bias. His interaction with Xavier in the movie was quite good, as always. One interesting tool used by the writers was how the movie began with Magneto and Xavier meeting with Jean in her suburban home, and a later scene in the movie paralleled that instance when the good Professor and Magneto confront the Phoenix in the very same setting. What happened to the Greys, one can't say for certain. Perhaps they were out for the day, or perhaps their little daughter rendered them to ash and cast them to a swift wind, as was the fate of Cyclops, Xavier, and so many others in the movie. I loved the dialogue where Xavier was nervous and very apparently afraid before the Phoenix. Capitalizing on the situation, Magneto plays to the Phoenix's insecurity and hatred of Xavier, convincing her that the Professor wants to cage the most powerful being, rather than allow her to spread his wings. Informing Jean that her power is a manifestation of mutant perfection, that there is "absolutely nothing" wrong with her, Magneto shows his cards at last in turning the Phoenix's aggressions fully against Charles. That said, he could only sit in fear and awe, pinned against a cupboard while Xavier was ripped from earthly existence.
For me, Magneto's portrayal in this movie showed his ruthless desire to attain mutant superiority in its entirety. There was subtle inuendo between the characters Magneto and Mystique from the very first movie that got snickers from fans (and even carried on into the Ultimate X-Men comics, I might add). When the two meet in X3, we see the comfortable relationship between the two again, but when Mystique sacrifices her mutant status to save Magneto from such a fate, Magneto is moved but horrified. His only comment when he turns his back on the pitiful, naked, human Mystique is that "she was so beautiful."
We glimpsed it again in X2 when Magneto was prepared to kill Charles in Stryker's Cerebro at Alkali Lake in order to wipe Homo Sapiens off the map. Here, we see Xavier killed and with Magneto actively involved in the provocation of his murder. However, the lingering regret of this action, and inaction, stays with Magneto until the close of the film, as Magneto sits alone at a chess set, recognizing that with the removal of the other player from the board there is little point for him to stay in the game, so to speak. Even though the two were enemies, Xavier and Magneto were first and foremost friends.

Also, I should note here that the "source of the cure" was the mutant known as Leech who, in the comics, had the eventual voluntary ability to suppress the powers of other mutants in his company; I use this wording because in his youth he couldn't control it and deprived all near mutants of their powers. Looking to Beast's wording at the beginning of the film, he says the cure is the ability to "suppress the Mutant X gene, permanently." Suppression on a permanent basis I can understand for the average mutant, but perhaps the boundaries were not to sturdy against Magneto, who in the comics is by and large viewed as arguably the most powerful mutant. People forget that it's not just the manipulation of metals, but the manipulation of natural or artificial magnetic fields in magnetokinesis. This grants him the ability to lift, alter, or move objects, even capable of manipulating bloodflow to an individual's brain to cause aneurysms or unconsciousness. He can absorb and redirect electricity, control ferrous particles in the air, alter the Earth's magnetic field which extends into space as the Magnetosphere, increase his own strength to the extent of being able to exchange blows with Colossus, fly in or beyond the Earth's atmosphere, and achieve an indefinite range of other effects. Ergo, even four doses of the cure couldn't fully suppress the power within the Master of Magnetism. Seeing him at the end of the movie slowly tipping the chess piece with what is now a shadow of his former power leaves one curious as to how well the dam built by the cure can hold back the flood.

I believe I've ranted enough now, but in short I left the movie thoroughly delighted. Though it could have stood to be longer, who knows? Perhaps we will have an extended DVD. Anyone see the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven? There's an additional 50 minutes of film time, and though it's a long shot, one can only imagine all that was left on the cutting room floor with X3 TLS.

SideshowDusty said:
Just got back from seeing it - loved it! Except for a few cheesy one-liners and a couple of pretty corny "NoooooOOOoooooOO!" moments, I thought it was great. Man, the guy who plays Cyclops is a horrible actor... I was glad he died, is that mean?

LOVED the "Don't you know who I am?" Juggernaut bit. Those guys who made that video must have been in shock to see it realized in the film! I wish Juggernaut could have had a bigger part. And Angel too.

But all in all I loved it. Better than the first, not quite as good as the second, but almost. I'm not familiar with the comics at all, so all the 'problems' that bother the fans of the comics don't bother me at all! I may see it again in the theaters, which is the official SideshowDusty 'stamp of approval' :)

(Oh, and did anyone else think 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend' looks hilarious? The trailer made me LOL, especially the part where she throws the shark at him!)

My Super Ex-Girlfriend did look surprisingly good. I passed the poster for it going into the theater and had no idea what it was about. Not sure when it comes out but I'll take you if you like :date

Darth Loki said:
My thoughts exactly Scar. How long did that take to type by the way?

I'm not even really sure. I tend to be rather long-winded when I begin talking about a topic that I'm interested in, and when I was typing I just kept thinking of more things that I thought needed to be said about the movie. My apologies if reading all that resulted in anyone suffering multiple aneurysms :D .

SideshowDusty said:

You know....Dusty.. I am in total agreement with you on Mr Marsden... I am not a fan of his acting at all. Was kinda happy to see him bite it too.

Would have been cool to see more of the Juggernaut and Angel, but at least Jugs got his "Juggernaut, *****" moment.....that made me laugh. :lol

And the trailer for My Super Ex-Girlfriend really got me excited about it. Looks hilarious.. And that shark tossing scene about killed me!! I mean... talk about your "woman scorned" moments... Sharks scare me enough in the water.... :google

thanks Scar!!! after reading your post i agree with everything you said and have been using almost the exact same argument with all my X-3 haters. many people are going into the movie biased becaue Singer is not the director and i feel thats why there are so many negative comments about it. and again this is the close of the triology so they had to wrap it up-- its no LOTR so they couldnt make it
3 1/2 hours long just to make the comic fanboys happy with the storyline. one of my friends that saw the movie with me was so PO'd with the juggernaut and started complaining as soon as we got outside. he kept ranting about how it was totally dismissed he was charles' brother and he wasnt even a mutant. after a thorough discussion over some beers later he sided with me. :lol i wish more people would understand its a movie and things need to be changed for a reason otherwise there would be no reason to see it they could just read the comics.

I agree with you two as well. Who cares if it does not follow the comics EXACTLY. Part 3 isn't the first X-men movie to ignore comic book facts. Xmen 2, isn't Nightcrawler really Mystiques son? I dont recall Singer acknowledge that.

I agree. Many of the comic fan base seem to forget that the movies don't cater solely to them, they are for the public in general with powerful themes that everyone can relate to and therein find significance. I've gone with mostly the same people to see all three movies, and some of them are fans of the comics as I am, but others just really enjoyed the first two and knew nothing of the Marvel Universe aside from what they've seen at their local cinemas. All of them found something to love about these movies, and frankly could have cared less about the Juggernaut's mutant role, or Jean's dual personalities. What they did care about was whether or not the characters would be brought to the screen in an entertaining, powerful, and convincing manner so as to keep them engaged and captivated. X3 certainly delivered in that department. It was meant to be action-packed but emotional, and I also believe success was achieved there as well.

Incidentally, every single person in my group burst out in laughter when Vinnie Jones spouted out his now famous (and in some crowds infamous) line, "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" :lol Every insidious party needs a brute or blunt instrument with which to achieve their goal, and Juggernaut was just that for the Brotherhood. For fans of the cartoon series with a good sense of humor, you might want to check out this link, though I warn it is lengthy and containts foul language.
https://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=15862

juggbox5cr.jpg

Back