X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: X-Men Supernova

Didn't they already ruin the Phoenix story line by giving Jean those powers to begin with in Apocalypse? She's supposed to be immersed by the Phoenix force, and if we want to be faithful it should all be in space.
Yep.

I'll check out Logan just because it looks like an interestin' film.
After that I'm 100% done with FOX's X-Men related stuff.
They just don't know what to do with it.

I thought First Class was decent, DOFP was pretty good, Apocalypse was terrible. It's basically status quo as far as almost any franchise goes. First 2 are the best ones, and everything after is just terrible.

Can we get the thread title changed to Dark Phoenix?

Also, rumor has it (from Meet the Movie Press) that Fox is trying to get Angelina Jolie or Jessica Chastain for the role of Lilandra.

Well... on balance I think I like that the cast is returning as it would be lame if they had to recast everyone again (Jennifer Lawrence is beyond irritating though and hopefully her version of mystique isn't the leader of the x-men anymore ... and she is blue ... and a villain ... like every other interpretation of the character).

I am hopeful that the story will be good as the Phoenix Saga is epic and x-men and space opera go together so well .... but Fox and Kinberg already tried to adapt the dark phoenix before and Hugh Jackman had to go back in time to erase that cinematic experience from my life and he's hung up the claws now!

Fox giving the film to Kinberg to direct is that like a cost saving exercise so they don't have to hire a real director? Oh I get it they couldn't afford a real director because they had to renegotiate Lawrence's contract because her initial three movie deal was up uh ok ....

90's X-men has very fond memories for me thanks to the Animated Series - Fox is going to screw this up aren't they.

In the comics and the animated series Cyclops and Jean were a couple that I believed in. When Cyclops is effectively the last man standing (after the other x-men have been incapacitated) battling to save Jean against the Shi'ar champions and Jean basically takes him out of the fight to save him because she knows he will fight to the death for her - I felt that.

Little kids playing dress up pretending to be these characters (sorry Sansa and baby not-cyclops) is going to have zero emotional impact on me. If they ran this plot line with James Marsden and Famke Jannsen I would have loved it.

I am going to hate this movie (but still catch it at the movies because X-men)

Says almost everyone on the forum about every movie coming out :rotfl

Haha! It's not always true (mostly is though). I thought I would like x-men 3 Last Stand because 1 & 2 were good (I didn't pay much attention to directors back then) and I thought Apocalypse would be good because First Class and DOFP were good and Oscar Issacs is awesome. I used to be optimistic but Fox keeps punishing me.

Jessica Chastain is Lilandra.

5y8cub.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-dark-phoenix-villain-jessica-chastain-talks-role-1013462

All of the sudden everything became right in the world.

I agree with much of what you post Bravomite. I think Sansa and kid Cyclops are really good, but there is no way they'll have that kind of emotional resonance that the characters had in the Claremont/Byrne comics. I definitely see them rushing this storyline, and I'm not sure why, unless they want to somehow compete with the space drama of Infinity Wars. But I'm also sure they will take lots of liberties with the comic, to the extent that it's possible Jean won't die, and that the Cyke/Jean dynamic won't play as much of a role. Be nice to see Gladiator and the Imperial Guard, and Corsair and the Starjammers.

I'm skeptical about Kinberg, but we'll see. Definitely do not want to see Lawrence being used heavily, but she's the biggest draw they have on the main team after Jackman's exit, so I get it from a business POV. I fear Deadpool will be shoehorned in to drive up ticket sales.

Ultimately, I just want another quality X-film. Ideally, it will be one that makes some money. But we could be witnessing a return to the dark times of X3 and Origins :(

Back