X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27, 2016

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think they just didn't try with Apocalypse. But that was a very well put together post P.

Man, it's sad, to think they went from this...

To "the third one's always the worst lmao".

True, honestly DOFP really should have ended the prequel films. That pretty much completed everyone's arcs which is why everything comes off as forced in Apocalypse.

I'll be honest though, Apocalypse had a few scenes I loved as well, the new Quicksilver scene was incredible in my opinion, and Apocalypse disarming all the nukes was one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. Still though, the next film has to focus on the X-Men, and I don't think any of the younger cast really made an impression to generate enough interest in seeing them again. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the series from here, but I'll take anything over a MCU X-Men film. I just don't want to see that ever :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was mainly speaking on what would be best for Fox. They might have all those movies on the slate but that doesn't mean they'll be good, or it would be smart to make them. A Gambit film is being made strictly because Lauren Donner saw an interview with Channing Tatum expressing interest in playing Gambit. They don't really have a long term plan. Gambit shouldn't have a solo film, and this is coming from a huge Gambit fan.

Antman making 500 million isn't that bad considering that's on par with most of what the FoX-Men films have made. I'm not a fan of the MCU, but they have a coherent universe, with a long term plan. Most people love what they're doing and Fox is already trying to copy the universe building from the MCU but theirs is so convoluted and of course was never planned, trying to do something like that with a franchise hats been running for almost two decades is going to be tough.

After X3 and origins came out, a quasi-preboot reinvigorated the franchise, and a lot of fans are tired of the focus not being on the X-Men. A way to keep everything that came before but remaining fresh is pulling another First Class, instead of jumping 40 years back, jump 40 years ahead with mostly a new cast, a new tone, a new director, and new direction. Give fans the Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Gambit, Beast etc... That they want, give them accurate costumes, that's all that the fans really care about anyway. Going this route would actually be a much easier way to tie in movies with Deadpool, and having zero shackles producing Gambit, X-Force, and New Mutants movies.

That's what I would do if I was Fox, and wanted to make that MCU kind of money. I personally would prefer X-Men films stay at Fox and continue on with Singer or Vaughn but it's not going to happen and to be honest, I've been pretty lucky as a fan considering how long this franchise has been going for. Honestly the fatigue has set in with all these superhero movies, Suicide Squad is the only superhero movie coming out that I'm actually excited for.

Just to make it clear, I agree, the MCU has put out plenty of garbage films, but at the end of the day, Fox has to do something drastic with the core X-Men movies if they want to compete with Marvel.

To be honest, I think the main reason I wasn't that excited for Apocalypse was because I was pretty content with DOFP, I almost felt like there was no need to tell anymore stories in the Singerverse, it was a perfect way to wrap up a great franchise.

DOFP was designed to pull a Star Trek '09 on the franchise. Not to end it.

The possibilities are endless now in the X-verse. We're getting movies (and shows) that seemed impossible under Rothman ten years ago.

Also, FOX is by no means expecting $1.5 Billion out of any of these films. And that's a good thing. R-rated Marvel CBMs are only being made at FOX because they're not trying to compete with Disney's made-for-kids formula. WOLVERINE 3, DEADPOOL 2, X-FORCE (even GAMBIT is rumored to have an R-rating)...we're getting [appropriately] mature content with those movies because the studio isn't expecting Avengers numbers.

Disney can't be bested at making accessible family-friendly summer popcorn. They're the new Transformers franchise (a Kevin Feige dream come true).

Right now, FOX is the underdog embracing its underdog status, by making smaller, more cerebral movies that appeal to an older audience. Even DOFP which cost $250 Million never felt as over the top and bloated as Civil War & Age of Ultron - which cost the same.

Apocalypse is a misstep. Not a defeat.

I'll take anything over a MCU X-Men film. I just don't want to see that ever

Nor will you. Never gonna happen.

DOFP was designed to pull a Star Trek '09 on the franchise. Not to end it.

The possibilities are endless now in the X-verse. We're getting movies (and shows) that seemed impossible under Rothman ten years ago.

Also, FOX is by no means expecting $1.5 Billion out of any of these films. And that's a good thing. R-rated Marvel CBMs are only being made at FOX because they're not trying to compete with Disney's made-for-kids formula. WOLVERINE 3, DEADPOOL 2, X-FORCE (even GAMBIT is rumored to have an R-rating)...we're getting [appropriately] mature content with those movies because the studio isn't expecting Avengers numbers.

Disney can't be bested at making accessible family-friendly summer popcorn. They're the new Transformers franchise (a Kevin Feige dream come true).

Right now, FOX is the underdog embracing its underdog status, by making smaller, more cerebral movies that appeal to an older audience. Even DOFP which cost $250 Million never felt as over the top and bloated as Civil War & Age of Ultron - which cost the same.

Apocalypse is a misstep. Not a defeat.

Nor will you. Never gonna happen.

I understand why DOFP was made, but as of right now, it's works better as an ending to a franchise instead of a beginning to one. The Cliffhanger at the end wasn't even touched on in Apocalypse.

The possibilities aren't really endless in my opinion, one example is if they go ahead and make the next X-Men film in the 90s focusing on the Phoenix, guess who can't show up, The Hellfire Club. That already is a big component of the comic that they can't do anything with because of a previous film that came out years before they knew what direction they were taking the series in.

DOFP made more than The Winter Soldier and a little less that Guardians back in 2014, there's no reason to think that a sequel with great reviews couldn't do similar numbers to the sequels of those movies.

Fox isn't expecting those numbers with Deadpool and Wolverine, after DOFP there's no reason why they wouldn't think their PG-13 X-Men movies couldn't crack a billion though. Still though, if Fox did do a quasi-reboot, there's no reason why those movies you listed couldn't exist, I'm almost sure they're going to have almost nothing to do with Singer/Vaughn period films. Making a contemporary X-Men film would probably work better alongside those films.

The shows have nothing to do with the movies from what I read.

I still think they just didn't try with Apocalypse. But that was a very well put together post P.

Man, it's sad, to think they went from this...

To "the third one's always the worst lmao".

There is more cinéma in this scene than the whole poopfest that is apocalypse.

The possibilities aren't really endless in my opinion, one example is if they go ahead and make the next X-Men film in the 90s focusing on the Phoenix, guess who can't show up, The Hellfire Club. That already is a big component of the comic that they can't do anything with because of a previous film that came out years before they knew what direction they were taking the series in.

The Hellfire Club is far from done.

Its rumored for WOLVERINE 3 & the X-Men show to come after LEGION is HELLFIRE.

Shaw & Emma are dead, but all of the other members aren't.

But anyway, sounds like you're done with the franchise. To each his own, man. I'm stoked for what's to come (R-rated Wolvie, R-rated Cable, R-rated Guild of Thieves...)

I'm dubious of the "R rating means these will be amazing" theory, but I'm hopeful. It's just hard to get excited for yet more of these x films when they're just so damn disappointing.

I lined up for wolverine origins and it sucked. I lined up for the wolverine and it sucked. Am I really going to line up for "Old man Logan"?

Yes... Yes I am, but shame on me :lol

DOFP was designed to pull a Star Trek '09 on the franchise.
And it was just as stupid and pointless.

BvS is a masterpiece of utter and complete perfection compared to this.
0918df4dd0c189e67d3654d099aee5b5.jpg

Pturtle, do you think they can redeem themselves? I mean, I talk in my "reviewewewew" how I think they exhausted their posibilites of the Singerverse, Jye says they could go cosmic but I honestly can muster enough interest to see it happening.
You think they exhausted their possibilities in what sense? In the comics alone there are dozens of directions they could go that they haven't really touched on yet. Not every villain is a world conquering megalomaniac. Morlocks/Mutant Massacre, Dark Phoenix in space with the Shi'ar Imperial Guard and Starjammers, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, Freedom Force, the Savage Land, Longshot and Mojo/X-Babies!, Genosha, X-Factor, the Brood, Proteus, Magneto leading the New Mutants, the Reavers, or something more conventional that we haven't seen in many comic movies yet--a basic villain/revenge team-up deal: Arcade, Black Tom, and Juggernaut for example.

That is a problem that comic book movies have now. Every single one of them are now THE EARTH IS IN PERIL!!!! That newbie Strange movie is prolly all about the Earth being threatened by some mystic entity. Prolly Christopher Nolan.

You think they exhausted their possibilities in what sense? In the comics alone there are dozens of directions they could go that they haven't really touched on yet. Not every villain is a world conquering megalomaniac. Morlocks/Mutant Massacre, Dark Phoenix in space with the Shi'ar Imperial Guard and Starjammers, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, Freedom Force, the Savage Land, Longshot and Mojo/X-Babies!, Genosha, X-Factor, the Brood, Proteus, Magneto leading the New Mutants, the Reavers, or something more conventional that we haven't seen in many comic movies yet--a basic villain/revenge team-up deal: Arcade, Black Tom, and Juggernaut for example.

I'd bet money on Genosha being in the next one but it'd probably be more like the Xtinction Agenda which was pretty weak. The original Genosha storyline featured Rogue and Wolverine so I doubt they'd be able to do it justice anyway.

The Hellfire Club is far from done.

Its rumored for WOLVERINE 3 & the X-Men show to come after LEGION is HELLFIRE.

Shaw & Emma are dead, but all of the other members aren't.

But anyway, sounds like you're done with the franchise. To each his own, man. I'm stoked for what's to come (R-rated Wolvie, R-rated Cable, R-rated Guild of Thieves...)

But the Hellfire Club show has nothing to do with the films. That's going to be its on thing from what I remember reading.

Not just with this franchise though, I think I'm pretty much done with all these superhero movies. Of course I'll still watch them and probably enjoy some of them but nothing outside of Suicide Squad has me truly excited. Everything about Wolverine 3 sounds great but it's a bit hard to get excited when the first two movies, R rated or not, weren't very good.

I agree with you 100%, EF. But that's what must sell tickets. I'm sure the writers aren't chomping at the bit to do another world conquering madman movie (Thanos being the biggest yet I guess, but Marvel Studios have already done that many times).

See? Even Jye, who watched all dem Bayformers numerous times, didn't get RDUltron's scheme.

Back