www.hottoysonlinestore.com is a scam (Unofficial Hot Toys web-shop--legit?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has to go down as "one of the strangest scams in history". Why would they accept $60 less for Black Widow or any other figure? You figured sure they will accept it and then just take your money and run so it doesnt matter really what they got for it, but you "actually" got the figure? This is just so perplexing:dunno

I mean from the sounds of everything, their intent was to act as a middle man, accepting orders and then scouring the earth to get these figures from other vendors. But what vendor would sell them a Black Widow for $60 cheaper than what shes going for, or most dont even have them in stock anyway. And its hard to find her lower than $300 on eBay these days. So if they were going to be legit and fullfill all orders, how would they make any money selling rare figures for less that what they can get them for? just doesnt make any sense and thats why i never trusted that site from the very first moment it went live.

idk, this is just the weirdest scam ive heard of in a long time.

:huh

Just seems like a variation of a ponzi scheme. You have to pay out some people in order to buy time. If they got it elsewhere they just made up the difference with funds from newer buyers (robbing Peter to pay Paul). Remember, aside from the victim here they were scamming countless others that paid everyday so who knows how much they had available to cover those early buyers. It took a month for this guy to complete this particular transaction, surely in that time HTOS was getting a ton of money from other orders.

Sounds to me like they operated with phony names. Being that PayPal can cover some losses it looks like they opened those accounts with stolen IDs and wiped them clean before buyers caught on a few weeks ago. PayPal protects you but now they have to go after nameless and essentially faceless (if my theory is correct) people. I doubt they risked their true identities knowing the consequences and I think they're still walking around without a care in the world. I can't imagine them making more than 20 grand off this and that's nowhere near worth living in hiding for. PayPal and all the trust people have in it may very well have been the intended target after all and whoever paid without protection was collateral damage.

Got an email from paypal stating I'll get all my money by midnight :yess:
Better news I was able to get my comic con ticket this morning :hi5:

Did anyone who signed for an empty parcel or document shipped by EMS filed a claim with paypal and got his money back?

Yes, I signed for the documents, filed a claim, and still got my money back. Signing for the parcel is only a problem if the seller contests your claim, and is able to provide proof that the items were shipped in perfect condition. Let's say the contents were damaged or stolen in transit. In that case PayPal may side with the seller.

In this case it's an obvious scam. The parcel was proven to be shipped as EMS documents with a weight of 0.1kg. That is not consistent with the PayPal invoice of 4 Hot Toys figures, and the seller has no ground to dispute my claim.

Claims usually takes 11-12 days, I just got another email from paypal & my $5k was returned to my account :)
At this point it doesn't matter if you sign or receive the packages, unless the seller happens to respond to the claim which I highly doubt he will..

Claims usually takes 11-12 days, I just got another email from paypal & my $5k was returned to my account :)
At this point it doesn't matter if you sign or receive the packages, unless the seller happens to respond to the claim which I highly doubt he will..

Congratz. So it looks like your troubles are over. Did that "package" ever reach you?

Here's my one and only dealing with them....thank goodness it wasn't near as bad as some.

On Jan. 3, HT on-line had a sale with free shipping going on. I noticed the site after reading the forum here and being mentioned on another thread. I took advantage of the free shipping and my interest was spurred when I notice they accepted best offers. I was thinking it was more of a business/for sale site as opposed to taking offers....at any rate, gave it a shot.

I offered $60 less for the HT Black Widow.They accepted a day later and said I would receive an invoice within 48 hours. It took 6 days for the invoice and they said they would send a confirmation e-mail from their personal Pay Pal account. I thought it was odd and that it was coming from a "Leon Mario" and not a business-y name.

Paid on 1/9 and was told I would have item by 2/1. E-mailed them on 2/3 and they said to wait another week. I finally got the item on 2/11. I was suspicious and nervous, but the item came as described and was packed well.

Just my two cents. I am sorry to have read about the many unfortunate cases here.

They accepted my offer for $50 less on a black widow as well. then he try top add $27 shipping and I passed. Then he said he would waive the shipping. I accepted and sent them payment. I never received my figure and paypal just ok'd the refund.

I saved my e-mails from them....It's interesting how several people read the mailbox, too. I originally had simple e-mail communication to HotToysOnlineStore, then "davidmustehkg", then simply Dave....Leon Mario requested to be paid but the payment went to Mario Kidd. I guess it was a shared mailbox and often workers accept on behalf of their company....so in the end it all made sense to me.....here is what they sent me....regarding shipping....

"Dear Dave,

We sill ship the item tomorrow morning 12th Jan 2012.

You will receive the item around 30th to 1st Feb 2012( Regular Airmail ).

We need you to tell us if you prefer the Regular airmail ( Free Shipping ) Fully insure but without online tracking.

or EMS ( express mail service ) Fast delivery( 7 days ) and live online tracking but extra 55USD per item for this service.

Both are secure because both are fully insure.

Please kindly advise

Thank You

Regards"

When I questioned the short delay, they told me it was because of Hong Kong Chinese New Year.

Was a great time to do a scam around Chinese New Year as most of China and HK are on shut down... But criminals work 24/7 and CNY is an easy excuse to buy time !!

So next year, if a web store appears around Chinese New Year...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :yess:

Estimado(a) Victor:

Hemos concluido la investigación de su caso y hemos resuelto a su favor.

Hemos podido recuperar $230,00 USD, importe que le hemos abonado a usted.
Este ajuste tardará cinco días laborables en aparecer reflejado.

Si se le deben más fondos, nos esforzaremos al máximo por recuperar este
saldo del vendedor.

Si la cuenta del vendedor no tiene fondos suficientes para completar el
reembolso que se le debe a usted, puede tener la certeza de que tomaremos
contra la cuenta del vendedor las medidas que correspondan, lo que puede
incluir la limitación de los privilegios de la cuenta del vendedor.

In few words, they are gonna refund my money in 5 days. The last words say that even the seller doesn't have any money in his account PAYPAL will go after him, but before they pay you.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :yess:

Estimado(a) Victor:

Hemos concluido la investigación de su caso y hemos resuelto a su favor.

Hemos podido recuperar $230,00 USD, importe que le hemos abonado a usted.
Este ajuste tardará cinco días laborables en aparecer reflejado.

Si se le deben más fondos, nos esforzaremos al máximo por recuperar este
saldo del vendedor.

Si la cuenta del vendedor no tiene fondos suficientes para completar el
reembolso que se le debe a usted, puede tener la certeza de que tomaremos
contra la cuenta del vendedor las medidas que correspondan, lo que puede
incluir la limitación de los privilegios de la cuenta del vendedor.

In few words, they are gonna refund my money in 5 days. The last words say that even the seller doesn't have any money in his account PAYPAL will go after him, but before they pay you.

Es lo bueno de hablar español :yess:

I didnt even recieve my "parcel" and i just found out that my account has been debited for the amount $680. I am absolutley disgusted. I even rang them over the phone last week. I dont know how this has happened. I will ring them later and give them a piece of my mind :mad:
Is there anything else i can do? Can someone help me a.s.a.p.? Please?!?!?!

If you paid by paypal open a case now!

They have closed up shop and made a run with the money. If you didn't pay by paypal and just by cc than call up your bank ASAP.

I paid by paypal but he opened up a case against me. Resulting in me being debited. Is there anything else i can do?

I dont know how he opened a case against me. He left a note saying that he never recieved items even though i never recieved anything.
Then he opened fake e-mails with my name on them showing me having a conversation with a guy i never even heard of. He even got the order wrong and used the wrong e-mail address for me when faking the conversation. This is so frustrating. Yeah i rang paypal a couple of days ago, they said i did everything right and to just wait until it was over. Now, my account is limited and i must submit alot of personal information to them so i will just ring them to submit the information because i do not know how to do it online.

What else can i do?

Thats about it give themm all the info they need and stay in contact. Try and find all the emails and exchanges between you and the scammer.

Who raised the case was it Mario Leon, or Peter halasz?

Peter initiated it. But i also have a case with leon mario somehow. It is so strange, i was so excited about starting this hobby, now i dont htink i will start at all.
Do you think it is still possible to get my money back?

Back