Would you buy Hot Toys Harry Potter figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy HT Harry Potter figures?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 52 37.7%
  • No, most likely not.

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • Maybe, it depends on the characters

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters
I'm not sure - financially I would probably have to pass or be extremely limited in my selections.

If I just limited myself to certain characters: Snape, Sirius, Harry and Luna would be my choices. But the thing with Harry Potter is that just a few of them feels so incomplete because the series has such a big set of characters. I would probably only end up with Snape and Luna and call it a day.

Re: Hot Toys Harry Potter?

Fanatics seriously turn me off. I used to be one for Star Wars, and the people around me were just frightening. I've sworn off fanaticism, and instead embraced the ability to enjoy movies, books, games, consoles of all kinds without enslaving myself to them.

Having said that, I think it's a mistake to deride something simply because it's popular. There are always ridiculous fanboys and girls that can sour the joy of a casual pleasure-seeker with an overabundance of enthusiasm. The Harry Potter series does certainly take it's cues from many past works, but I don't think that's a weakness.

Before you choose to despise a work based on a shallow idea of it's overarching concept, I suggest you give yourself the chance to see if you can ignore all the hooplah and see if you can enjoy it for it's own built-in merits. It does not sound like you've actually read any of the books. And it may very well be that you do read one of the books and it does nothing for you. There are PLENTY of people who don't care for Harry Potter or the series. But it's a shame to dislike something so vehemently without at least giving it a fair shake.

For my part, I was very much of your mind at first. I had little interest in the wave of Harry Potter fanaticism that seemed to engulf the kids and the media. When the first movie came out, I figured, "Okay, I'll see the movie. And if I like it, maybe I'll pick up the book." I quite enjoyed the film and subsequently the book as well. I've also enjoyed reading all the subsequent books, but I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic about it. I enjoy the series mainly because Rowling manages to create situations and characters that are quite applicable to real life. There are very real life lessons being learned by the young proxies in very cleverly fantastic ways.

It doesn't offend me one whit if you don't like the things I like. It just seems kinda weak to dismiss it just because you don't like the names or the idea of a Wizard's School. Remember, Luke Skywalker is a pretty dumb name when you get down to it. So is Bilbo Baggins. And so are all the silly words Tolkein and Herbert made up. And how melodramatic is it to call something a "Death Star?" I'm going off on a rant here, but I'd just hate to see anyone deprive themselves over pre-conceived notions.
QFT. Very well said, sir.

I don't know. I love the books, and the movies are pretty great too. The character designs are simply fantastic - Voldemort would make for one awesome 12" Hot Toys figure, that's for sure. I might buy that one. The rest - Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius Black, etc... They'd be pretty tempting as well.
Hear hear. I have to seriously question the sanity of anyone that would not buy a HT Bellatrix LeStrange figure.

No. If Hot Toys does Alan Rickman, it should be as Hans Gruber. Fantasy stuff doesn't sell as 1/6 scale toys, unless it is Star Wars, which of course transcends all genres ;) , so I don't imagine they would be made from a business standpoint. Sideshow's LOTR proved it.

No. If Hot Toys does Alan Rickman, it should be as Hans Gruber. Fantasy stuff doesn't sell as 1/6 scale toys, unless it is Star Wars, which of course transcends all genres ;) , so I don't imagine they would be made from a business standpoint. Sideshow's LOTR proved it.

Actually, LOTR was killed by the expensive R&D related to the intricate costuming combined with poor choices of characters. I'm sorry, Faramir may be a fan favorite, but he doesn't trump Gandy the W or Gimli. Moreover, if they'd attempted some armored characters, it'd've helped the line tremendously, to say nothing of a villain or two.

HP has tremendous recognizability, beloved characters, and the R&D would be snap for HT.

Absolutely. Its probably my most wanted franchise for Hot Toy's to do, but unfortunately I don't think its going to happen.

If I dont collect Lord of the Rings then there's not a snowball's chance that I would collect HP...

This would be a license i think SSC would do a good job with. The costumes are relatively easy, SSC generally has great head sculpts, and they have bodies with adjustable heights.
Seeing a Harry Potter the same height as Voldemort would be ridiculous. Plus they would be significantly cheaper by SSC which is important when doing so many characters.

Back