Would you buy Hot Toys Harry Potter figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy HT Harry Potter figures?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 52 37.7%
  • No, most likely not.

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • Maybe, it depends on the characters

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters
Re: Hot Toys Harry Potter?

I'm a fan, but I understand it isn't for everybody. "Despise" is a strong word though. Why do you despise the series?

I guess because it's so derivative of so many other things, and I especially dislike the character naming. They just sound too silly to me. The concept of a "wizard school" is just boring to me. Also, I suppose the "Harry Potter Geekery" would be where my despising comes from most. Worse than SW or Trek geeks.

I guess because it's so derivative of so many other things, and I especially dislike the character naming. They just sound too silly to me. The concept of a "wizard school" is just boring to me. Also, I suppose the "Harry Potter Geekery" would be where my despising comes from most. Worse than SW or Trek geeks.

worse than SW Geekery, possibly, but I doubt it.

Worse than Trek Geekery? No. Not possible.

Fanatics seriously turn me off. I used to be one for Star Wars, and the people around me were just frightening. I've sworn off fanaticism, and instead embraced the ability to enjoy movies, books, games, consoles of all kinds without enslaving myself to them.

Having said that, I think it's a mistake to deride something simply because it's popular. There are always ridiculous fanboys and girls that can sour the joy of a casual pleasure-seeker with an overabundance of enthusiasm. The Harry Potter series does certainly take it's cues from many past works, but I don't think that's a weakness.

Before you choose to despise a work based on a shallow idea of it's overarching concept, I suggest you give yourself the chance to see if you can ignore all the hooplah and see if you can enjoy it for it's own built-in merits. It does not sound like you've actually read any of the books. And it may very well be that you do read one of the books and it does nothing for you. There are PLENTY of people who don't care for Harry Potter or the series. But it's a shame to dislike something so vehemently without at least giving it a fair shake.

For my part, I was very much of your mind at first. I had little interest in the wave of Harry Potter fanaticism that seemed to engulf the kids and the media. When the first movie came out, I figured, "Okay, I'll see the movie. And if I like it, maybe I'll pick up the book." I quite enjoyed the film and subsequently the book as well. I've also enjoyed reading all the subsequent books, but I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic about it. I enjoy the series mainly because Rowling manages to create situations and characters that are quite applicable to real life. There are very real life lessons being learned by the young proxies in very cleverly fantastic ways.

It doesn't offend me one whit if you don't like the things I like. It just seems kinda weak to dismiss it just because you don't like the names or the idea of a Wizard's School. Remember, Luke Skywalker is a pretty dumb name when you get down to it. So is Bilbo Baggins. And so are all the silly words Tolkein and Herbert made up. And how melodramatic is it to call something a "Death Star?" I'm going off on a rant here, but I'd just hate to see anyone deprive themselves over pre-conceived notions.

Last edited:

Honestly I wondered why Sideshow never went here. The pricepoints when they used the Bucks seemed to lend themselves to really expansive lines and while the kids were too small when they got to the third film and fourth, I thought the short body would have sufficed. I just don't think I'd follow this line too far with HT prices no matter how elegantly they were detailed or costumed and forget about anything Medicom really who is around the same pricepoint but with more of a cartoony feel.

My hope is that eventually we get from this past film and the two ahead a 1:6 done from a company like NECA or something along those lines that could be swapped.

Fanatics seriously turn me off. I used to be one for Star Wars, and the people around me were just frightening. I've sworn off fanaticism, and instead embraced the ability to enjoy movies, books, games, consoles of all kinds without enslaving myself to them.

Amen to that. Same story for me, pretty much.

Having said that, I think it's a mistake to deride something simply because it's popular. There are always ridiculous fanboys and girls that can sour the joy of a casual pleasure-seeker with an overabundance of enthusiasm. The Harry Potter series does certainly take it's cues from many past works, but I don't think that's a weakness.

It just makes it feel kinda "played out" for me.

Before you choose to despise a work based on a shallow idea of it's overarching concept, I suggest you give yourself the chance to see if you can ignore all the hooplah and see if you can enjoy it for it's own built-in merits. It does not sound like you've actually read any of the books. And it may very well be that you do read one of the books and it does nothing for you. There are PLENTY of people who don't care for Harry Potter or the series. But it's a shame to dislike something so vehemently without at least giving it a fair shake.

I have, don't worry. I watched the first movie with my nephew, and I have sampled the books when my friend Colleen has brought them to work each time a new one has come out. It just doesn't "connect" with me. To be honest, I like more technology and weaponry based things. (movies with combat, technology, etc.) oh, and superhero movies. The only "magic" characters that I have ever enjoyed were from LOTR and I think part of that is that it's handled in a more serious, somewhat less whimsical manner. I definitely don't like whimsy.

It doesn't offend me one whit if you don't like the things I like. It just seems kinda weak to dismiss it just because you don't like the names or the idea of a Wizard's School. Remember, Luke Skywalker is a pretty dumb name when you get down to it. So is Bilbo Baggins. And so are all the silly words Tolkein and Herbert made up. And how melodramatic is it to call something a "Death Star?" I'm going off on a rant here, but I'd just hate to see anyone deprive themselves over pre-conceived notions.

Oh, I agree with you entirely- Yeah, I do kind of want to call Bilbo "Dildo" sometimes, and I don't have a problem at all with people liking things I don't like (though I definitely wish to avoid people lined up outside of B&N for a Harry Potter book) (for that matter, I don't want to be in a line at the movies with the SW dorks either, even though I love SW and can pretty much recite the 1st movie by heart) I just don't see them as being the sort of figure I see Hot Toys doing. Oh, and don't get me wrong- plenty think *I* have bad taste- hey, I liked "The Spirit" and "GI Joe". I guess I should have just said I think Harry Potter is yucky! (plus it would require too many new body types unless the new slim would work)

I wish we had a rule about these sorts of threads rather than customs. At least those threads result in some products. Maybe you should send the petition to Santa ?

if you really want somthing to hate, hate twilight omg. any way i really hope we get some hp figures soon.

if you really want somthing to hate, hate twilight omg. any way i really hope we get some hp figures soon.

Hahaha damn straight. I cannot believe that fanaticism. It's almost unhuman. OMG, Rob took a breath, let's get 5 magazine articles and every single wesbite story about it :monkey4:duh

Hahaha damn straight. I cannot believe that fanaticism. It's almost unhuman. OMG, Rob took a breath, let's get 5 magazine articles and every single wesbite story about it :monkey4:duh

i know i just dont get it in my book that fanbase is the same fanbase that made the jonasbrothers,hannah montanna and high school musical popular.:banghead

As a long time Harry Potter fan, I would buy certain figures. I am a huge fan of hot toys and their quality. I certainly cannot afford everything Hot Toys produces though, but have for a long time wished someone like Hot Toys or Sideshow would pick up this line.

I don't know. I love the books, and the movies are pretty great too. The character designs are simply fantastic - Voldemort would make for one awesome 12" Hot Toys figure, that's for sure. I might buy that one. The rest - Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius Black, etc... They'd be pretty tempting as well.

Back