World of Warcraft

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow (pun intended) while im not gonna hate on this line, but i dont think this line was worth the excitement. i was really hoping to hear indiana jones announced or even a Serenity/Firefly lineup. i will say one thing--i hope sideshow doesn't stoop so low as to start advertising these figures in magazines and such.

threeonesix said:
There's really no need for Sideshow to lower the price. 1% of WoW players equals about 70,000 people. If only 5% of those were to buy a SS WoW statue/bust/whatever, that's still 3500 people...more than enough to make this a profitable venture for Sideshow...not to mention the non-WoW players that will buy them.

Great point...and I will add that I was just on ebay and two people were bidding $1000+ on an account number for a leveled character. These WoW people take thier s*** seriously :D

hairlesswookiee said:
wow (pun intended) while im not gonna hate on this line, but i dont think this line was worth the excitement. i was really hoping to hear indiana jones announced or even a Serenity/Firefly lineup. i will say one thing--i hope sideshow doesn't stoop so low as to start advertising these figures in magazines and such.

Indy probably won't happen until the next movie is released. Sideshow has commented how they have tried to get the license but rights owners won't budge. Sideshow is expanding whether we like it or not. If they want to be competetive in an already saturated collectibles marketplace that very well may happen. Sideshow had one of the biggest booths at Comic Con this year and I'm sure thier popularity will continue to grow with WoW.

Kookie said:
Great point...and I will add that I was just on ebay and two people were bidding $1000+ on an account number for a leveled character. These WoW people take thier s*** seriously :D

That's why they have no money left for collectibles. It all goes into their PC.

LordAzrael said:
That's why they have no money left for collectibles. It all goes into their PC.

I don't know why people assume that all WoW players are 10-15 year olds with no money. I'm sure Sideshow has done their research and has consulted Blizzard on the demographics of it's customers. Saying that WoW fans are just teenagers with no money is like saying people won't buy Marvel because they're based on comic books and cartoons and only children will like it...that type of logic just doesn't make sense.

abstractharmony said:
WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN??????

Calm down. Take a deep breath. Nothing is going to hurt you. :lol
Touchessky is my characters name.
60 is his level.
Tauren is his race (rather like a Minotaur)
Hunter is his profession.
Feathermoon is the server my character is on.
The Horde is his faction (the other being Alliance).
If you have any other questions let me know.

WOW is an interesting choice but to be honest I have no interest in this line at all. Like it has been said earlier, it's kind of a relief.

The character designs and the entire WOW universe are great but I just can't see myself buying anything WOW related.

I'm sure there are several WOW fans that will be happy to buy SS's WOW products but I will not be one of them.

It will be interesting to me to see if SS advertises the figures whatever they may be in Gaming magazines. As an Avid online player although not WoW I read PC gamer every month. A full page add for the new figure would certainly gain some attention outside of our little geekdom here. Can I ask all the Star Wars gurus out there if there was any advertising in the SW mags? I dont think I have seen any in an Marvel comics for that line.

Kookie said:
Indy probably won't happen until the next movie is released. Sideshow has commented how they have tried to get the license but rights owners won't budge.

....Um..."rights owners"?
You mean....Lucas Film Limited? The one(s) who own Star Wars...They won't budge?

I highly doubt that LFL is not budging on Indy. They are most likely, as you said, waiting to see how Indy 4 progresses.
Master Replicas already has the license for Indy props and was told not to release anything until Indy 4 becomes a reality. Now, if that does not happen, I do not think that LFL would yank the license or whatever agreement they have - back from companies that already have it...

It's funny that Sideshow would have trouble getting it...after their stellar career in the field...and Cinemaquette has it! :rolleyes:

I agree that the Xmas countdown is for current collectors and thus perhaps not the best way to reveal WoW. It made sense for LotR since the base was already established.

WoW will have to draw new collectors in and hopefully we'll see a more balanced take on the property as more fans join the forum.

BOOMHILTED - Lvl 58 Dwarf Paladin
Dragonmaw

customizerwannabe said:
I really think people here would have been less annoyed if there hadn't been a Christmas countdown with all the hoopla surrounding this. That advertising was aimed at the current collectors and they are the ones who (it seems anyway by the tone of this thread) couldn't give a rat's sphincter about this line. If they had just made a simple announcement the reception might have been less chilly.

That's exactly what my "problem" was/is with this Warcraft annoucement.

What is so special about WoW that it warranted such a big drumroll, red carpet presentation that had us logging on to our computers on Christmas morning?? Even the "Militaries of Star Wars" line (which was a very eagerly anticipated announcement) only got a slight rollout over the course of a few newsletters.

Now that would've been something worthy of all this hoopla...not this little itty-bitty WoW logo. :rolleyes:

Well, I think this will draw in some new collectors, and there are going to be a lot of people excited about this who will become new Sideshow customers. As for me, this generates no interest whatsoever. It's like when you are at the movies and you see a trailer for the movie version of a book you never read, featuring actors and a director you are not familiar with. It just goes out of your short term memory in a flash without making any impact. If the new license was something like Indiana Jones or Halo or Firefly or even Welcome Back, Kotter then I would at least be interested in seeing the final product. I couldn't recognize a WOW character if my life depended on it, so with this I don't even have a marginal level of anticipation. I am unfamiliar with it and I don't even have enough of a frame of reference to think, "I won't be buying one, but I am still interested in seeing how they turn out." Even the Fifth Element bobbleheads generated a certain amount of morbid curiosity--but this does nothing for me.

Best case scenario--the WOW license turns into a huge financial and artistic success for Sideshow, and they get so rich that they can afford to expand their staff and assign more people to work on the LOTR PF line (only one announcement in 2006) and the Star Wars PF line (only two announcements in 2006).

:D

But even though I am not interested in WOW, I hope that this new license is a success. If this brings new people into the collecting world in general--and to Sideshow in particular--then it will be a good thing to pursue and worth their time and effort.

Wow, I just got back. :elefant :elefant :duff :lurking :elefant :medic

Man, there are too many responses to read right now, but from the tone of some of the responses it seems a lot of FREAKS aren't too merry with this idea. :emperor

Hey SS! I'm sure it'll work out excellent, but if it doesn't pan well, you can always make some more APES!!!! :monkey3

I have a feeling that they knew that this announcement wasn't directed towards their typical customer, but rather represents a branching out into a new demographic and area of interest.

However--if that is true, then the buildup to the new announcement was inevitably going to create a mild backlash from some of the SS fans who were expecting something else. Maybe they should reserve this kind of anticipation, countdown pages, etc. for movie licenses only. But on the other hand, they are probably really excited about trying something new and wanted to generate some buzz and interest, so who can blame them.

Darklord Dave said:
I agree that the Xmas countdown is for current collectors and thus perhaps not the best way to reveal WoW. It made sense for LotR since the base was already established.

WoW will have to draw new collectors in and hopefully we'll see a more balanced take on the property as more fans join the forum.

BOOMHILTED - Lvl 58 Dwarf Paladin
Dragonmaw

Yes, this seems to not have been the best way to reveal the new license but your right this line will draw a lot of new collectors to SS. When I first saw the announcement I was disappointed and thought this line is going to bomb. But then I did some googling, and WOW has a huge community of folk that will most likely have a lot of money to throw at the new line of WOW collectibles released by Sideshow. This line will be successful but mostly or all thanks to new customers, the existing ones seem to hate it :)

I never have played video games much, and couldn't care two cents about the new line. That said, I think it's great for Sideshow; obviously very few of us are at all interested in the line, meaning, that Sideshow will get a whole new group of fresh collectors into their products. It's basically attracting an entire untapped fan base. Their regular fans keep getting what they like, and new people attracted by this "WoW" will get exposure to SSC's products too. From a business and marketing perspective it's a great move. So while I couldn't give a horse's nose for this line, I'm happy for Sideshow in having obtained a license that will be extremely useful and productive for them. And as an artist, I think a lot of those figures would be fun to attempt just for the challenge of it.

Funny to see how riled up some people are though. I guess it's understandable though.
:cool:

Just before E3 2006, an official press release from Blizzard announced that a live action motion picture based on the Warcraft world was being planned[2]. Legendary Pictures has acquired the movie rights for the game universe, and both companies are now focused on translating the Warcraft experience to the big screen. In October 2006, Peter Jackson was confirmed to be the director

PJ is making a warcraft movie..Maybe this is what the license is going to be about..=)

speedracer said:
Just before E3 2006, an official press release from Blizzard announced that a live action motion picture based on the Warcraft world was being planned[2]. Legendary Pictures has acquired the movie rights for the game universe, and both companies are now focused on translating the Warcraft experience to the big screen. In October 2006, Peter Jackson was confirmed to be the director

PJ is making a warcraft movie..Maybe this is what the license is going to be about..=)

AWESOME news :chew ...and now that PJ and a movie is in the making everyone will be all over this line. I hope the creatures in the movie stay mostly true to the game version or better.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Hope it turns out better than this WOW movie in production

https://dnkblog.wordpress.com/2006/02/02/world-of-warcraft-the-movie-a-china-production/

dwarf.jpg

EDIT: You got a source for Peter Jackson as director. I did a google search and came up with nothing but rumors. I did however find an article citing Spielberg as the director, which the authors had then amended to note that it had been debunked by Spielburg.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=335931

The article does make note that there have been few if any prestigeous computer game adaptions to the big screen - meaning its extremely unlikely to have a big namer attached to it.

Last edited:
Back