Witcher 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking me a while to learn the intricacy of combat, so far it's just devolving into button mashing.
Nothing's worthwhile without a little bit of effort though, so I'll endeavour to get the hang of it! Story looks interesting, but I agree with many of the posters here, it's a little clunky early on.

Well I'm loving almost the entirety of the Witcher 2, if it weren't for some bugs and hiccups. Twice, I only got sound during cutscenes while my screen remained black. Sometimes a texture would fail to load. And once, I couldn't progress because a side quest character wouldn't react when I clicked on him. Hopefully this gets less frequent as I progress.

I think the combat is great because you have to take a very methodical, tactical approach to it to succeed, especially in higher difficulties (I started on Hard right off the bat, based on my performance in the tutorial arena). Using drinks and coating oils is integral to success, as are traps. Avoiding long attack strings/combos in lieu of evading and waiting for the enemy to be vulnerable after a missed attack has worked for me thus far. I don't even have Riposte yet.

I've enjoyed the story and voice acting so far. Geralt to me is like a low-key David Hayter (as Solid Snake). He might seem a bit monotone, but there are subtle inflections to his voice that carry emotion. At least, to me. I can see how many wouldn't like him.

I want to note that it's not just Geralt that lacks an English or European accent in this game. A lot of characters sound American. Triss, the Kingslayer, etc etc. I'm not that far yet, but it hasn't bothered me.

IGN

https://m.ign.com/wikis/witcher-2/Side_Quests

There are a number of side quests available throughout the game._ Some are completed in one go and others will require that you return to them over the course of the game._ We're including information about each of the side quests here, in one handy section, and we've linked to the specific side quests elsewhere in the walkthrough as appropriate.
Complete Side Quest Listings
The Assassins of Kings
Melitele's Heart
Woe to the Vanquished
Returning Memories
A Sword for Monsters
The Nekker Contract
The Endrega Contract
Troll Trouble
Bring It On: Flotsam
In the Claws of Madness
Malena
One on One: Flotsam
Fight Club
Poker Face: Flotsam
The Ballista
Hung Over
The Scent of Incense
Little Shop of Dreams
Mystic River
Margot's Disappearance
Bring It On: Kaedweni Camp
The Rotfiend Contract
Ave Hanselt!
Little Sisters
Lost Lambs
Against the Blue Stripes
A Score to Settle
From a Bygone Era
Poker Face: Kaedweni Camp
With Flickering Heart
Hey, Work’s on in the Mines!
The Harpy Contract
The Queen Harpy Contract
Baltimore’s Nightmare
Bring It On: Vergen
One on One: Vergen
Poker Face: Vergen
Suspect: Thorak
Poker Face: Loc Muinne
The Gargoyle Contract
Bring It On: Loc Muinne
An Encrypted Manuscript

Starting to feel this game is not for me. I got thru the prologue and Ch1, but find myself just dragging thru and not enjoying Ch2 at all........game is good and all, just a little heavy on politics, and light on monster fighting.....guess I get enough real politics in life, don't need it in my fantasy

Last edited:
Starting to feel this game is not for me. I got thru the prologue and Ch1, but find myself just dragging thru and not enjoying Ch2 at all........game is good and all, just a little heavy on politics, and light on monster fighting.....guess I get enough real politics in life, don't need it in my fantasy

I can certainly understand that. I finished it last night. The story is well written, but it's complicated and easy to get lost in. By the end, I was still confused about certain things. The inventory system is lousy and the looting is weak. Venders charge too much and it's almost impossible to know when to use potions and oils ahead of time. The fighting is clunky and the quests often lack guidance. Having said all tha, it's still a good game through it's many flaws. It's definitely not for everyone.

Yeah, I am gonna sell it, or just save it for one of those rainy days where I am in the mood.

There is soo much going on in the way of name dropping, I found myself doing a lot, lot, lot of reading (within game) trying to play catch up

Sorry you're not happy with it Jen, feel some what responseable in that I fueled the hype train that you got on.
With all the awards and acclaim it got from critics and hardcore rpgers I thought it would be a sure thing with you.
Maybe you can recoup some off the money by selling your copy to me?
Do agree Cmdr Shepard(male) and the ME series had good voice acting.
Seeing that you liked Skyrim who's protagonist has no real dialog other than shouts I'd think Witcher would at least be a small step up.
If Witcher2 had just dialog trees would that make it better or is is it something more?

No need for you to feel responsible. I had heard from several people and the guys I know that work at Gamestop that this was the game to get. I'm determined to finish it - very, very rarely do I not complete a game that I purchase...which is why I am pretty picky about what I do get. But thank you for your offer to buy it from me.

It's really a number of things that make it difficult for me to get into this. I don't think dialog trees would make a difference. It's still hard for me to really care for Geralt....He's an interesting character...I just wish he showed more emotion than he does. And perhaps that's because I started playing this right after ME3. :dunno I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the characters and keep finding myself lost and wondering what's going on. I don't know if playing Witcher 1 would have helped me in understanding the characters and the different plots going on. And sometimes trying to find certain people takes me way, way longer than I think it should.

I'm finally getting the hang of the inventory and accessing weapons, potions, spells, etc....so that's good. I do think I'll be selling this once I complete it. Just doesn't feel like anything I'm going to want to play again.

An unemotional and bland personality, I guess is what he has.:lol I'm just spoiled by games like Mass Effect that to me had amazing VO work. His "personality" makes it difficult for me to really even care about anything he is doing.

Oh well...different strokes for different folks, as they say. I know a lot of people have been really looking forward to this game - and I hope they are all enjoying it. I think I may switch to Kingdoms of Amalur that is still unopened. I really just don't know if I can finish Witcher...I'm just bored to tears to with it.

Well Witchers have most of their emotions stripped from them due to the process. I`ve read Adrzej's books, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves(original stories of Witchers and Geralt) and I've played the original.

I think playing the original Witcher makes a big difference. I don't think I would have enjoyed Mass Effect 3 as much had I not played 1 and 2. There are plenty of references to the original and the books the series is based on that I can imagine it must be confusing to many who did not get invested prior to this release.

Oh and if voice acting in Witcher 2 irks you, Kingdom of Amalur is going to drive you nuts. Its voice acting is about as cheap as it gets.

started witcher 1 last nite. good game so far. runs amazing on my new pc.

just had sex in the mill. lol

That's still really early in the game. It gets way better. Make sure you use bombs and oils. I didn't realize how effective those were until later in the game.

Also, Aard, at least for Witcher 1, is by far and large the best spell. Stun grants you an oppertunity to 1 hit kill enemies, even the toughest of them.

I just wish he showed more emotion than he does. And perhaps that's because I started playing this right after ME3. :dunno
I'm just spoiled by games like Mass Effect that to me had amazing VO work.

Geralt shows a lot of emotion. Perhaps not through his gritty voice(the english voice-acting and translation is still hit and miss), but through his very dialogues. That's exactly the advantage this game has, over most other rpg's out there. The quality of the dialogue lines. There is plenty of wit, sarcasm, deadpan humour, brilannce and cleverly woven historical and pop-cultural references in the dialogues, journal and game's auxiliary text lines. Most rpg's on the market offer poorly written, dry dialogue devoid of any substance. Today's crpg's story-line resources, are mostly applied to creating vast game backgrounds and histories(most of them lacking in originality anyway), rather than any meaningfull in-game exchanges.

As for Shepard - with all my deep love for Mass Effect - the problem with the Commander is that the character himself is pretty shallow, though Bioware conceals it nicely. Shepard has been criticised over this, many times in the past. The guy truly lacks any characteristic qualities, there is no substance to him. His voice acting is top-notch, but he rarely has anything worthwhile to say. In ME3 he is described as an exemplar of humanity, and all organic life. Well, he sure is pretty bland for that title. Bioware has created a character that can be pretty badass, who is great with a gun and who gets the job done. But as soon as he opens his mouth, the magic is gone. Plus bioware's poorly handled and outdated paragon/renegade system, means that most of the time we can either play as a ridiculously naive, and (in a way)childish idealist, with cheesy dialogue lines taken straight out of typical, run of the mill summer flick of the worst kind. Or play as a villainous, over the top caricature of a badass.

There is much more meat on Geralt bones. An inteligent, sarcastic, witty, deadpan, gravel-voiced badass, who keeps mostly to himself and who saw too much of the world's horrors and people's ugliness in his life, to really waste his time and get emotionaly invested in all this politicking and warring, going on around him. He just want's to be left the fuc@ alone, but fate keeps throwing him into shenanigans, he would rather avoid.

Bioware is still the best, when it comes to developing vast and interesting backgrounds for their games(i still read the Codex cover to cover, every time I play ME), but when it comes to dialogue, characterisaton and narration, they are behind such rpg developers as Obsidian(veterans of top-notch game writing) and Witcher's Cd Project Red.

Last edited:
And that's another thing of note... When you're forced to make decisions there is no good or evil, right or wrong decisions. And the impacts are gigantic. Chapter 2 is completly different depending on what you chose at the end of Chapter 1.

I get what you all are saying...I am NOT saying the dialogue is poor or anything like that. I just could not get into the fact that Geralt seems to speak in a monotone....never raising his voice...never showing any kind of pause or emotion....it's the same tone and volume whether he is being sarcastic or being tender or rude. It makes me see him as more of a cardboard character. When I compare this to ME I am comparing it to the VO work only..not the actual dialogue, paragone/renegade, etc....just the voice work. I like a character that can show emotion in his/her voice... Now this is just me.....and my personal reason why I can't get into him as a character.

Well Witchers have most of their emotions stripped from them due to the process. I`ve read Adrzej's books, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves(original stories of Witchers and Geralt) and I've played the original.

Thank you...this gives me a reason as to why he just seems so emotionless. Like I said, I have not played Witcher 1 or read the books - so I have no idea what the process is that one goes through to become a Witcher.

When I compare this to ME I am comparing it to the VO work only..not the actual dialogue, paragone/renegade, etc....just the voice work. I like a character that can show emotion in his/her voice... Now this is just me.....and my personal reason why I can't get into him as a character.

I get it. To each his own. I personally like the way he speaks. That low growl. That reserved bad-ass attitude. The game prologue showcases it nicely: the guy wakes up in the morning, next his lady and all he wants is to spend time with her, alas all the day offers him instead is kings, politicians and wizards urging him to take active part in a pathetic war, which he considers pointless and stupid and in which he has no interest whatsoever. It also fits his description from the book, as a man who cared about his friends, not about the meddling of kings, and lunatic ravings of wizards, all around him.

Actually I believe this is incorrect. I don't think there is any part in the book which states that Witchers are striped of their emotions. They feel just like any other human. In fact the books(and in many places, also the games) make a point, that under all that reserved, gruff exterior Geralt is a very emotional man. To say that Witchers are "stripped of their humanity" is just a figure of speech, to show their outcast and shunned status. Also all witchers are naturally gruff and reserved, mainly becouse of the mistrustfull, or downright hostile way they are treated by others. Plus monster slaying is a solitary job.

If there is indeed a passage in the english version of the novels that make it seem so, its probably due to poor translation. The two Sapkowski novels released in english, are known for having a really poor translation, that does no justice at all to his writing chops. Many fans are hoping for a newly translated versions(not the mention, the missing novels), that could be released on the current popularity of the games.

Last edited:
Actually I believe this is incorrect. I don't think there is any part in the book which states that Witchers are striped of their emotions. They feel just like any other human. In fact the books(and in many places, also the games) make a point, that under all that reserved, gruff exterior Geralt is a very emotional man. To say that Witchers are "stripped of their humanity" is just a figure of speech, to show their outcast and shunned status. Also all witchers are naturally gruff and reserved, mainly becouse of the mistrustfull, or downright hostile way they are treated by others. Plus monster slaying is a solitary job.

If there is indeed a passage in the english version of the novels that make it seem so, its probably due to poor translation. The two Sapkowski novels released in english, are known for having a really poor translation, that does no justice at all to his writing chops. Many fans are hoping for a newly translated versions(not the mention, the missing novels), that could be released on the current popularity of the games.

It's mentioned in many places. It's believed to be untrue as Geralt obviously has feelings, but he does not emote them well and that is a trait of many witchers.

Afterwords: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings – Enhanced Edition
afterwords
by Adam Biessener on April 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM 1,822 Views

The Xbox 360 adaptation of one of the greatest PC games of 2011 finally came out, and we talked to the developers at CDProjekt RED to get their thoughts on bringing their dark, violent fantasy over to console.

Catch up on your Witcher 2 needs with everything you need to know about the game and/or my full review to get up to speed, or just continue on to read the answers sent in all the way from Poland by lead combat designer Maciej Szczesnik.

Did you worry that console RPG players would not accept how easily Geralt can be killed if they don’t plan ahead and play smart?

No, we didn’t. The game difficulty is one of The Witcher 2’s key features and I don’t think that console players differ from PC gamers when it comes to experiencing the game. I mean nobody likes to see the game over screen, but we didn’t want to make an infantile game. There is a lot of satisfaction when you get past the difficult moments in The Witcher 2. What’s interesting is that most people find those moments not so challenging after they figure out how to properly prepare for the fight. So just remember to use your head!

Our game is not a hack n’ slash game. The combat is really tactical and you cannot rush in to a horde of enemies and think that you will survive.

I think players appreciate that we give them something not all games have to offer – a fast paced combat with a vast array of tactical options. And you feel really good after you achieved something that, at first, felt impossible.

Are there any other perceived differences in audience between PC and Xbox that you thought about as you were creating the Enhanced Edition?

First of all, you have to know who the target of our game is. We seek out mature people who want ambitious entertainment. By mature we don’t even mean someone who is used to the usual “sex, nudity, alcohol, drugs” slogans on game boxes. Those elements are easy to spot on screenshots and gameplay videos. The real maturity of The Witcher is the type of moral choices you have to make._

What I want to stress is that we aim at a specific group of players: demanding gamers, who want something more than a button-mashing experience in front of a TV. And these people can be found on both Xbox and PCs. I don’t know the demographics of each platform; I believe they differ – the average Xboxer is different from the average PC gamer. But The Witcher was never for the average player. It is a game series for demanding grown-ups.

So we didn’t feel that any game content had to be changed during our adaptation process – nothing was censored, nothing removed. We did even the opposite – we added new content: 4 hours of new quests, 35 minutes of cinematics and much more… This makes the game even more immersive, and all the loose ends of the story are wrapped up. This allows us to make the whole story even better than before.

Difficult, unapologetic games have seemingly been making a comeback in recent years – Demon’s/Dark Souls, Super Meat Boy, etc. Do you see a trend there?

Maybe a trend is a strong word, but gamers seem to miss difficult games. The titles you mentioned are swimming against the prevailing current. If we lose all difficulty in games, they will be only an interactive movie and not challenges. It is a fact that games are easier than they used to be; e.g., Bioshock Infinite announced that its hardest setting will be called “1999 mode” – to show how games were played back then._

For us the word “game” implies that you might lose – no pain, no gain. And you get real satisfaction when you overcome the difficulty. In my opinion, games are all about beating the challenge. If it’s too easy, it becomes simply boring and unattractive. On the other side of the equation are the too-hard games, which frustrate the player. We want to deliver challenging encounters but without too much punishment for players._

One tip for all those who might get lost in the game – really play the tutorial we added, this makes your transition to the game easier and you won’t get killed so many times. The tutorial is something new we added after the initial release and makes the learning curve less steep.

Was including the adult content (nudity, sex) in the game any more of a struggle for the Xbox release, or was that battle already fought for the U.S. release of the original?

As already said – nothing was censored. We get the same mature RPG with sex scenes, distinguishing us from other games._

What’s worth mentioning is that the sex in our game isn’t there to be a cheap trick, but is added as an integrated part of the plot and serves our storytelling purposes. The fantasy world we take you to is dim, but if you think of it, it’s not the monsters or magic that make that atmosphere. It’s the people and their actions concerning things you find in real life – sex, power, money, greed. The world is dark because of the things the player finds around him.

Are there any changes between the original release and the Enhanced Edition that made you question what the heck made you do it the original way in the first place? (As a player, I’m looking at the junk category of the inventory.)

Well, we prefer to add stuff in the Enhanced Edition than remove it. We listed 100 improvements made to the game mechanics and the reason they were added in the Enhanced Edition. We listened to the fan feedback. We gathered a lot of opinions from our audience and then found some things worth implementing. That’s how the upgrades in The Enhanced Edition were made.

Did a member of the development team ever push for changing something that the studio felt like would have went too far in changing the core of the game?

One difficult decision was to abandon the point & click controls [from the first Witcher game] and switch completely to third-person perspective mechanics. Some people didn’t want this change. That was a brave decision as it required changing pretty much everything in the game. We had a working solution for every aspect of The Witcher; we have made a successful game with our point & click controls. But we wanted to deliver a far more dynamic experience, so we had to change everything. So I think we have a lot of crazy ideas, sometimes some of them are a bit hardcore, but we always manage to choose those suitable for our theme and our game. We know our audience very well and we always try to make them happy in the first place. So to sum up – if an idea improves our game, it will never be crazy enough or difficult enough for us to not implement it._

What were the “sacred cows” – bedrock, core principles of the game – that were never under discussion for altering in patches or for the Enhanced Edition?

I think the core of the game is the type of choices the player faces. That is, morally ambiguous ones that are not absolutely good or evil. And the consequences of these should be not based on any statistic, but have real impact on the game world. These aspects are our trademark, and they will always stand. This is the core that implies other Witcher characteristics. The maturity of the game is the result of this principle.

If you had a major, mainstream U.S. publisher calling the shots in porting the game to console, what would it have looked like?

We don’t know. We work with a major U.S. publisher [Warner Bros. Interactive – ED] and they didn’t change our artistic vision at all. When we started to work on the series we defined our audience as this niche, which wants mature entertainment and our game will always be for those people. We won’t change that. Sure we want as many people as possible to play our game, but I don’t think we’ll abandon our rules and ideals.

Was there ever a point where you thought, “Oh no, the Xbox is never going to be able to run the game at the quality we demand?”

Maybe it wasn’t that extreme, but we did put a lot of effort in making the Xbox version meet our standards. We demanded a lot from ourselves and I think this went well. So we squeezed out as much as we could from the 360. What you get is a unique experience and one of the best looking games on this platform.

What technical hurdles that currently constrain developers like CDProjekt RED are going to go away in the next console generation?

It’s too early to talk about this, because we know nothing about the next generation of consoles. What seems obvious is that they’ll have a more powerful hardware and this gives us a lot of options. But as I said, let’s wait for more info about those consoles, because right now we are really just speculating even about their release.

Will there still be a meaningful distinction between console and PC development in the next console generation?

As before – I don’t have the slightest idea, because we don’t know anything about the next Xbox and PlayStation. So I cannot answer this question. I can hope that the development for multiple platforms will be easier for us...

Finished Witcher 2 last night. Awesome game. The story is terrific however I am positive it's better if you played the original. The ending, IMO, was outstanding.

I actually think as highly of this game as Mass Effect 3, but not quite as high as Mass Effect 2. There are so many geeky references in this game too, lots of Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Fallout, Star Wars...

I mostly focused on the Swordsman skill tree with some dabbling for upgrading Quen in the Magic tree and bombs and potion effects in the Alchemy tree. I was a complete badass by the end.

Choices you make have gigantic impact on the story. For example, chapter 2 can be completly different depending on what you choose at the end of chapter 1. This of course will then have major impacts in chapter 3 and the ending. There are no good or bad choices. They always provide benefits and consequences.

Going to play the Dark Difficulty now. Enemies can one hit kill you but equipment is far better. Should be fun.

Back