Will Hot Toys ever lose their value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of the figures... the Iron Man line, batman lines and terminator/predator lines will most likely continue to rise in value as completionist collectors strive to complete the lines as more newer figures are released. This will likely happen with the Avengers as well.

So long as the figures are high quality i could see their value lasting for some time.

Like someone else stated, they'll either maintain or increase their value until something better comes along. Figures with lots of rubber in their construction will most likely lose their value once the rubber starts deteriorating.

Which only makes the same figure without the rotting issue, that much more valuable. ED-209 is a prime example. The rotting figures still fetch a decent price, but ones that aren't rotting sell considerably higher.

Which only makes the same figure without the rotting issue, that much more valuable. ED-209 is a prime example. The rotting figures still fetch a decent price, but ones that aren't rotting sell considerably higher.

True dat. But are prospective buyers going to be willing to shell out the big bucks for the remaining ones ten years from now, knowing that their eventual disintegration is inevitable?

Or will they wait for another company to produce a better ED-209, one that doesn't use rubber and therefore avoids the problem entirely?

And will Robocop be as popular a license 20 years down the road, when only seniors will have been old enough to see it in theatres?

It's definitely going to be an interesting quarter-century...I plan on dying shortly thereafter.

And will Robocop be as popular a license 20 years down the road, when only seniors will have been old enough to see it in theatres?

Have you seen most of the Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind collectibles? Not only do you still see new stuff but it's aimed at a higher end market. They don't try selling classic film licensing to children.

You still see John Wayne stuff from time to time. Who's the target market? Our dads. Someday that will be Schwartzenegger and Stallone.

In 20 years Robocop and many other classic scifi/action films will continue to be iconic.

I think eventually they will lose their value... pretty much all collectibles do at some point. Hot Toys will make THOUSANDS of the DX Sparrow and it seems like a lot of people are buying extras to keep "mint" so I can see a replay of the comic book industry very easily. I sold my DX Joker for $400.... thats just crazy money for a 12" fig.. and I know others are even more. I think a colapse could be near.

Last edited:
True dat. But are prospective buyers going to be willing to shell out the big bucks for the remaining ones ten years from now, knowing that their eventual disintegration is inevitable?

Or will they wait for another company to produce a better ED-209, one that doesn't use rubber and therefore avoids the problem entirely?

It's definitely going to be an interesting quarter-century...I plan on dying shortly thereafter.

Yes, no and yes. :lol For everybody who's enjoying the "remake" of whatever, there'll always be those who through nostalgia or young film purists, who'll be after the vintage stuff. Plus, you have the midnight matinees that show all the old films and through that create a new audience who enjoy it. Cheap tin wind-up robots go for thousands of dollars nowadays despite the fact that there're newer and superior products on the market. Vintage Barbies are the same. I don't see these being any different. Just look at Universal Monsters. For films that came out in the early 20th Century, almost a century later, it's still a very viable license.

Uh-huh. And that's why Sideshow has been so busy releasing their Gone With the Wind line of PFs. :nana:

HT sold out a line of Vito Corleone figures. Classic films have a market.

Your question was if Robocop would still be a viable license in 20 years and I gave you an example of two old films that still generate millions in merchandising sales each year.

No, they aren't selling Oz or GWTW stuff to you. That doesn't mean nobody buys it. In 2014 GWTW has a 75th anniversary and you'll see just how big a classic film can sell.

Last edited:
Just imagine if Hot Toys stop making figures. The price of these figures would sky rocket. T1 Terminator would go for a $1,000. The Iron Man Mark 1 sold for $700 on ebay last month. So it's possible. The Predators, Batman, Bruce Lee, Spider, upcoming Avengers, Iron Man will constantly rise. These are iconic figures. These are basically minature meusuem pieces.

Hot toys figures will not lose their value. I mean, how better can they get? Maybe in clothing, maybe in material, but not by a whole lot.

Uh-huh. And that's why Sideshow has been so busy releasing their Gone With the Wind line of PFs. :nana:

Explain to me then the ridiculous success of the SSE Mummy PF? Almost all of the Universal Monster PFs still sell well above retail. Odd for movies made around the first part of the 1900's.

I watched the first Robocop this weekend and it still stands the test of time. The effects don't look dated (I'd argue they actually look a damn sight better than 99.9% of today's CG crap), the story is still as dramatic and the acting still quality.

Explain to me then the ridiculous success of the SSE Mummy PF? Almost all of the Universal Monster PFs still sell well above retail. Odd for movies made around the first part of the 1900's.

I watched the first Robocop this weekend and it still stands the test of time. The effects don't look dated (I'd argue they actually look a damn sight better than 99.9% of today's CG crap), the story is still as dramatic and the acting still quality.

The movies Hot Toys targets are classics (for the most part) I like Prison Break, but do most people?

The movies Hot Toys targets are classics (for the most part) I like Prison Break, but do most people?

There's another good point. Most of those figures were snatched up for other aspects of the figure (outside of the license fans). Which arguably makes those remaining intact that much more valuable.

LOL at all the Hot Toys owners on this thread.
You all sound like housing investors denying there is a bubble.

And thats not taking into account that figures always drop in price when a new better version is released. If not Hot Toys, there will be a new company that comes along eventually and releases much better versions of these same figures.

And thats not taking into account that figures always drop in price when a new better version is released. If not Hot Toys, there will be a new company that comes along eventually and releases much better versions of these same figures.

Version 1 Joker aside, who's dropped in price with newer versions released?

And I'd argue that HT owners are more apt to give a better assessment on this than somebody who doesn't collect them. Otherwise it's like a virgin "sex expert." :huh :cuckoo:

Just imagine if Hot Toys stop making figures. The price of these figures would sky rocket. T1 Terminator would go for a $1,000. The Iron Man Mark 1 sold for $700 on ebay last month. So it's possible. The Predators, Batman, Bruce Lee, Spider, upcoming Avengers, Iron Man will constantly rise. These are iconic figures. These are basically minature meusuem pieces.

Well said- these are not TOYS you play with and beat up and break (well you could..) but high end collectible show pieces- they are true works of art in a sense- far superior to "mass produced" stuff. I see iconic characters holding value and interest for many years!
Gary

Back