Will Hot Toys ever lose their value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^ Seamless bodies that have great articulation and durability. All the TT figures will then look like poo

Well, lets hope that ENTERBAY's Lee attempt with rubber body can be the start of that. I agree, masquerading the articulation will be a huge first step, but then really how many figures really need that, when many of the current character that are fully clothed wouldnt need such a drastic alteration.

YES...like many toys. Especially when they are mass produced. People talk about HT making limited runs, but in comparison, those runs are large and big enough to devalue the figures. It's not like the vinyl-urban art world, where those pieces are truly limited based on the output.

A lot of urban vinyl already dropped in value to a point that they are pretty much worthless. I have a lot of early Michael Lau figures that no one wants for $40 bucks now, when people used to fight over them for over $100 each. Now a days people only get excited over the latest releases, the older figures don't get much appreciation, which kind of sums up the people who collects Urban Vinyl and follows the trend; they only like it when it's the latest and hottest thing, and don't really appreciate oldies but goodies.

If I'm going to assume HT will eventually drop in value, it's because I've seen it happening already in the Urban Vinyl world.

-

A lot of urban vinyl already dropped in value to a point that they are pretty much worthless. I have a lot of early Michael Lau figures that no one wants for $40 bucks, when people used to fight over them for over $100 each. Now a days people only get excited over the latest releases, the older figures don't get much appreciation, which kind of sums up the people who collects Urban Vinyl and follows the trend; they only like it when it's the latest and hottest thing, and don't really appreciate oldies but goodies.

If I'm going to assume HT will eventually drop in value, it's because I've seen it happening already in the Urban Vinyl world.

-

Good point. And the best things in that world, IMO, are customs from some artists, and those creations are museum type quality pieces depending on artist and upwards of 300-800 USD easy. (depending on platform et.)

LMFAO...I'm going to buy it so I can put it on my bicycle wheel spokes.

Hahaha. Awesome.

HT will price most of us out in time. I'm already a causality — moved on to the occasional PF. More bang for my buck there IMO.

I hope they lose their value so I could get the older hot toy figures, I can't wait. Please lose value now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On a serious note if hot toys keeps their figures they way it is I will happily keep buying. But it all depends on the price of the release, if it keeps going up with every release, I can't afford them :(

I'd say that so long as there is an interest in the subject matter, HT's secondary market prices will stay above retail. Sure they'll fluctuate between the insane and reasonable, but even their mass produced pieces (IM, TDK, etc) are selling well above retail. That says something. Especially in a recession.

1/6 is a continually evolving hobby with it's ups and downs. If it continues the way it's going right now, in 10 years - you'll look at your current HT figures like we look at vintage Star Wars 12". There will be a nostalgia factor, but there will be something better out there.

So enjoy them now, but as soon as HT gets the walking and talking thing solved your current collection will just be recyclable fodder for your Mr. Fusion energy converter.

The difference is the stuff out today or recent doesn't have that nostalgia attachment to it like the He-Man figure you played with everywhere back in 1985.

I don't see a reason to keep the previous Hot Toys Jack Sparrow figure when the new one is vastly better.

Clear example of what are you talking about is the difference between the IM Mark III and IM Mark IV/VI, in only two years. :monkey1

Of course HT figures will lose their value...eventually, and Enterbay will be able to release one of two figures a year and will take control of the 1/6 market.

The problem with collectibles like this are just that... They are collectibles... Unlike toys there will always be thousands and thousands of these around in perfect condition....

You know...as much as I'd like to think Hot Toys figs will lose their value...a piece of me is thinking that there will always be a market for these. Look at the Sideshow Doom or Hulk PF's...maybe even Darkness or Predator 1:1's. Still go for big money even with newer stuff pumping out year after year. Sure a few pieces with take a hit. It's the grail Hot Toys figs that people covet that will always retain a value...

They are worthless. So anyone with a scar pred,ed-209 or leon kennedy should contact me asap.

Like someone else stated, they'll either maintain or increase their value until something better comes along. Figures with lots of rubber in their construction will most likely lose their value once the rubber starts deteriorating.

Back