Will Hot Toys ever lose their value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Version 1 Joker aside, who's dropped in price with newer versions released?

Well I was thinking of Enterbay's Bruce Lee's when I posted that. They've taken a huge price crash since Hot Toys DX has entered the market.

There are a few still on ebay trying to ask absurd prices but I'm guessing they have no chance of actually selling it.

How is the version 1 Dark Knight Batman doing? Why would anyone buy instead of the DX?

And I'd argue that HT owners are more apt to give a better assessment on this than somebody who doesn't collect them. Otherwise it's like a virgin "sex expert." :huh :cuckoo:

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean?
Anyone can look at pricing and make logical assumptions. Which one is more rational? That they will go down eventually or hold forever?
Is this a shot at me or someone else? Where did I say I didn't own any Hot Toys? I do. I've bought and sold them.

And I currently have the DX Jack Sparrow and the 'casual' Bruce Lee on pre-order. And I won't be buying them because I think their value will increase forever.

Medicom's Bruce Lee 'fashion line' has taken a dramatic $ hit in the last few months because why would you want those ____ty dolls when HT's new much better ones are coming out.

How are the older HT's Jack Sparrow's doing? I haven't looked at that. I'm sure like Enterbay's Bruce Lee's there are still a few on ebay with absurd pricing, but are they selling now?

How about the rubber problems? And degradation in general?
I believe I've seen you post that you avoided the Predators line due to the high use of rubber on there, even though it still uses joints. (I may have confused you with someone else...)

Living hot toys figures you say? ..if that were the case i'd have a great time parting out a black widow!:naughty

I wonder how many people would try to invent a shrink ray that could reduce them to the size of, say 1/6 the normal human being...

I don't think people selling older versions of revised figures is an indication of a bubble that is bursting. It's seems rather obvious that people in those cases are buying whatever's best. It seems to me to indicate that the interest in not in the brand itself, the era, etc, or the idea of owning a 'collectible,' but in simply having the most pleasing representation of something they like. It's not some unexpected unknown that decreases the prices in these examples people are throwing out there but a pretty predictable and understandable reaction - it's just out with the old and in with the new (assuming the new is a complete improvement). I don't think that sort of thing is what people are talking about when they term a situation a 'bubble.'

You might see a bubble within the 'Iron-Man' or 'Terminator' range, specifics like that, as people try to complete line-ups there even when improved figures are released, but I don't think there's any Hot Toys completists out there, buying everything HT, and so there's no "Hot Toys bubble" to burst.

Medicom's Bruce Lee 'fashion line' has taken a dramatic $ hit in the last few months because why would you want those ____ty dolls when HT's new much better ones are coming out.

I don't think Medicom's line was ever a hit. All this time later, you can still find a lot of them in-stock on Toys2, for one...

It seems to me to indicate that the interest in not in the brand itself, the era, etc, or the idea of owning a 'collectible,' but in simply having the most pleasing representation of something they like.

You make a good point really. That's probably why there's so many SSC Star Wars figures. People like Star Wars. But, it's only a few of them that have seen any significant appreciation in value, and those are ones all fans would be interested in. You can also sense the concern in the form of defensiveness on something like the Predator 1 HT figure for instance, with all the talk of a Predator Classic from the recent movie. We can point out they're 2 different preds all day long, but the fact remains the design is what people like and classic is certainly going to out do the quality of the P1. Accessories will play an important role in how much this all affects the value of the P1. People have recently paid a high premium for that one. Nobody wants to see that evaporate due to a new figure.

You make a good point really. That's probably why there's so many SSC Star Wars figures. People like Star Wars. But, it's only a few of them that have seen any significant appreciation in value, and those are ones all fans would be interested in. You can also sense the concern in the form of defensiveness on something like the Predator 1 HT figure for instance, with all the talk of a Predator Classic from the recent movie. We can point out they're 2 different preds all day long, but the fact remains the design is what people like and classic is certainly going to out do the quality of the P1. Accessories will play an important role in how much this all affects the value of the P1. People have recently paid a high premium for that one. Nobody wants to see that evaporate due to a new figure.

When talking about value and depreciation we should really be comparing MSRPs with current prices, rather than current after-market prices with possible future prices. So people paying current market-price for P1 are already paying a huge premium over those who picked it up MSRP, same goes for Blade, Mk1, OC Bats or any of the figures that have skyrocketed in value over and above their MSRPs.

To say that these people will take a depreciation hit if/when a newer, shinier version is released is not really a fair indication of the true rate of depreciation, as this should be compared with the MSRP, not the exorbitant prices they paid for the figures on the after-market.

In other words, the depreciation hit on the first HT Jack Sparrow in the wake of the DX06 should be measured against the initial MSRP of $120-130, rather than against what some punter paid for it a month ago. In this case, I can't see anyone who paid MSRP for the first Jack would take a hit - it'd be more a question of a smaller-than-otherwise profit margin.

When MSRP is taken into account rather than after-market price I'd bet that few people would ever lose money on their 'investments'.

When talking about value and depreciation we should really be comparing MSRPs with current prices, rather than current after-market prices with possible future prices. So people paying current market-price for P1 are already paying a huge premium over those who picked it up MSRP, same goes for Blade, Mk1, OC Bats or any of the figures that have skyrocketed in value over and above their MSRPs.

To say that these people will take a depreciation hit if/when a newer, shinier version is released is not really a fair indication of the true rate of depreciation, as this should be compared with the MSRP, not the exorbitant prices they paid for the figures on the after-market.

In other words, the depreciation hit on the first HT Jack Sparrow in the wake of the DX06 should be measured against the initial MSRP of $120-130, rather than against what some punter paid for it a month ago. In this case, I can't see anyone who paid MSRP for the first Jack would take a hit - it'd be more a question of a smaller-than-otherwise profit margin.

When MSRP is taken into account rather than after-market price I'd bet that few people would ever lose money on their 'investments'.

I certainly agree. I bring up the P1 as an example of peoples attitude towards a figure before and after a new version, not as much about aftermarket prices. Another figure may not have appreciated as much, and could go below MSRP in a similar situation.

The Iron Man Mark 1 is selling nearly a thousand dollars, OG Predator is hitting the 500 mark, Leatherface by Sideshow (I know its not Hot Toys) and easy $1,000, Sideshow Hulk sells for $5,000). People, in 10 years all these figures will be worth major doe. Major, especially, when we hit our 70's. I wont be surprise if somebody collectible adds up to a mortage.

The Iron Man Mark 1 is selling nearly a thousand dollars, OG Predator is hitting the 500 mark, Leatherface by Sideshow (I know its not Hot Toys) and easy $1,000, Sideshow Hulk sells for $5,000). People, in 10 years all these figures will be worth major doe. Major, especially, when we hit our 70's. I wont be surprise if somebody collectible adds up to a mortage.

Um, no. In 10-years, many of these figures will be cheaper, more likely, than pricier. Just how it goes. These toys are produced in large batches, so the demand wont drive up the prices. And in this age, many colelct based on the monetary aspect, which really lessens the value of these pieces, because there is no real rarity.

Just facts...

Only a few pieces will have a true high value (i.e PFs, 1/6th scale pieces et.)

Why do you figure PFs will maintain value while 1/6th figures won't? Based on supply alone? Price is supply and demand. 1/6 figures are clearly relatively more popular now, and are likely to be relatively more popular in the future (even if their absolute popularity levels drop off). Though I, too, expect demand to go down, I expect an similar relative decline in interest in statues.

Well I was thinking of Enterbay's Bruce Lee's when I posted that. They've taken a huge price crash since Hot Toys DX has entered the market. There are a few still on ebay trying to ask absurd prices but I'm guessing they have no chance of actually selling it.

Not really a fair comparison. Personally, I thought EB's Lees were/are considerably overpriced. Plus I'd take the TT anyday over EB's body. It's inferior. Looking at the Godfathers, it tells the same story. HT's was just THAT MUCH better. The thread's about the current price of HT's, so any comparison to EB is kinda irrelevant anyway.

How is the version 1 Dark Knight Batman doing? Why would anyone buy instead of the DX?

DX has leaky ab/bicep issues and it won't sit in the tumbler, nor will it sit on the batpod. That's jacked up the price of the TDK v.1 to about $600. Nice, huh? :lol

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean? Anyone can look at pricing and make logical assumptions. Which one is more rational? That they will go down eventually or hold forever?
Is this a shot at me or someone else? Where did I say I didn't own any Hot Toys? I do. I've bought and sold them.

The people in the trenches who follow prices and actually buy and sell on the secondary market will have a firmer grasp on the day-to-day vs. the casual gawker. Hence my metaphor of a virgin (casual gawker) being an expert on sex. I wasn't necessarily singling you out, just stating in general.

And I currently have the DX Jack Sparrow and the 'casual' Bruce Lee on pre-order. And I won't be buying them because I think their value will increase forever.

I don't collect for resale value either. But it's nice to know your collection of high-end, limited edition figures is appreciating in value.

I feel the same about Medicom as I do about Enterbay. Highly overpriced for what you're getting. Medicom's even moreso. But that's just my opinion.

How are the older HT's Jack Sparrow's doing? I haven't looked at that. I'm sure like Enterbay's Bruce Lee's there are still a few on ebay with absurd pricing, but are they selling now?

Don't collect POTC, so I wouldn't know.

How about the rubber problems? And degradation in general?
I believe I've seen you post that you avoided the Predators line due to the high use of rubber on there, even though it still uses joints. (I may have confused you with someone else...)

The rubber body issue is only increasing the value of the other figures. With Rambos starting to crack, people are paying a mint for the same figures that aren't. ED-209's a perfect example. Even the rotting ones still sell well above retail and the ones not rotting sell for a mint.

I didn't avoid the Predator line. I just didn't get into Predators because of all the stuff coming down the pipe. Mixed me up with someone else?

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly::goodpost:

Um, no. In 10-years, many of these figures will be cheaper, more likely, than pricier. Just how it goes. These toys are produced in large batches, so the demand wont drive up the prices. And in this age, many colelct based on the monetary aspect, which really lessens the value of these pieces, because there is no real rarity.

Just facts...

Check those facts. They're wrong. Especially with HT's older stuff. Aliens and the AVP stuff as well as HT's older military figures are pretty damn expensive. WELL above retail. You're mixing HT up with NECA, McFarlane and MEZCO who mass produce stuff. HT sells limited editions which are not mass produces. As time goes on, they get harder to find and will only appreciate.

as long as there are industry geeks like us to spend money, their value will stay as it is. Although I must say within the past 2 years the values on some figures have spiked like crazy. I remember talking trash on the Wesker thread how Midnight is still at 175 blah blah (back last april) and now hes around 400 (and I bought one recently for 370)

So yeah./ Ima just shut up now.

I think hot toys should not produce different versions of the same character, that will reduce the value. Business mind will think why not, collector like me feel cheated. How about limited production, do we know the true numbers released? Maybe they are over produced. Another thing is I just bought a mark 1 for $600.00 if I do ever sell which I won't, it will be nothing less then what I paid so that will retain the value. On a second note, I sold all my statues just to buy hot toys 1/6 scale figures, statues are dead in my eyes.

Depends on the sustainability of 1/6 popularity. More and more people are getting introduced to 1/6, and more and more people are getting wise and pre-ordering figures, so they don't have to pay top dollar on ebay. HT makes more as they become more popular. Looking at the PFs and statues, certain things have skyrocketed, but they definitely reach a zenith and plateau. Would any bet the Mark I will be worth 10 grand in 10 years? Even with inflation, that's a stretch :lol

Back