Why People Don't Finish Video Games

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed my catalog of unfinished games was growing as well and it all started with one game that I just completely lost interest in.

Final Fantasy VIII.

The FF series SUCKS now. It is horrendous and the biggest repetitive streak of games with the same cookie-cutter funky-hairstyle punks saving the world each and every day. I loved VII but when I was venturing the end of VIII and they had that last segment which blocked up all the towns, I was like WTF? I didn't bother finishing that, I tried IX and then X and then just realized I did not care for these characters and the story they were trying to tell. I haven't played a FF since and if I do, it's usually an older one (FF Tactics) or a remake of an older FF (FFIV DS).

With older gamers, it is true that our attention span is shorter. We're also smarter now and much like a TV show, a video game REALLY has to capture our attention to hold us there. I for one had no problem finishing games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed series, Bio-shock, Halo series, God of War 3, and Red Dead Redemption, but some others like LA Noire, Fallout New Vegas still sit on my shelf unfinished.

I suppose also because I'm somewhat of a "completest" and I like getting everything in the game which slows me down and drives my loss of interest. But I think it's a message to the gaming community to also put out games with better stories and characterizations (something I think the Japanese market struggles A LOT with) so the older, smarter gamers will stay along for the full ride.

I still blame Final Fantasy.

There are only a few games that I haven't finished & the reason is that I just didn't click with the story or characters,
LA Noire is one - I just hate it, every time I see Cole Phelp's face I want to punch him, Dead space was another good game that just bored the tits off me as did Bioshock. Yet the likes of red dead redemption,splinter cell,uncharted, arkham asylum are games I just love.

To be honest, I dont think I've ever finished a game in my life.

I usually have an hour or so to spare to fart around on 360....then im off.

Chris

I miss the good ol' days of not having much responsibility. Those days when playing games was considered evil and gamers were moreso "outcasts" (90's). Is it just me or was it easier to pick the good ones that slowly trickled out back then?

Now there are games coming out left and right at a constant rate. With adulthood responsibilities its a pain in the ass finding the time as well as getting into the right mood to start and follow through with completing a game these days. Unless it has that special hook like Uncharted or RDR, I find myself having to backtrack to games I abruptly stopped playing years back just to finish them. I'm an overwhelmed completist!

From memory I have finished majority of my games, just not the boring ones.

Finishing a good game is a must, for a sense of accomplishment and obviously to see how it all ends.

I miss the good ol' days of not having much responsibility. Those days when playing games was considered evil and gamers were moreso "outcasts" (90's). Is it just me or was it easier to pick the good ones that slowly trickled out back then?

I've got to think it's the exact opposite. The more easily accessibly media we have, the easier it is to get reviews, feedback, etc.

If we had the information we do now for games, 90% of the crap released in the 80's never would have been unfortunately purchased. There's not an NES, Game Boy, or other system of that era's owner that doesn't own at least a couple of duds.

I've got to think it's the exact opposite. The more easily accessibly media we have, the easier it is to get reviews, feedback, etc.

If we had the information we do now for games, 90% of the crap released in the 80's never would have been unfortunately purchased. There's not an NES, Game Boy, or other system of that era's owner that doesn't own at least a couple of duds.

Too true. I usually had friends to introduce me to great stuff. Though with lack of knowledge can come better surprises back in the day I suppose. I used to randomly rent games and discover a gem sometimes. Chrono Trigger and Contra III come to mind. I also remember constantly renting Street Fighter II :lol

back in the day i used buy a game complete it then swap it for another. i remember i did this for 10 games in a row.

then right before the recession game stores started putting seals on the boxes so if you broke the seal you wouldn't get your money back, as is the case with all stores nowadays.

ahhhhhhh the good ol' days...

I finished Pitfall II on my Atari 2600. :)

My cousin and I finished Jurassic Park on SNES when we were kids. Had to leave the system running while we slept because you couldn't save your progress.

snes57.png

SnakeDoc

My cousin and I finished Jurassic Park on SNES when we were kids. Had to leave the system running while we slept because you couldn't save your progress.

snes57.png

SnakeDoc

Oh wow... I remember that one. I loved that Jurassic Park game!

I tend to have that issue finishing games, but I'd have to say that Red Dead Redemption's story pulled me in and I didn't stop till it was done.
Alan Wake was another easy play for me, loved most everything about that game (except maybe how short it was).

I found that I haven't really enjoyed a good Final Fantasy game since VII. My all time favorite FF game though was far and away part 3 on the SNES, which I guess was either IV or VI?

Back