Why People Don't Finish Video Games

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are SO many video games that I haven't finished, it's really sad...

The games I do finish are the ones I really really like, like Mass Effect, or Starcraft.

If I'm not really interested in a game and it's long, I won't finish it--like Final Fantasy XIII or Red Dead Redemption

I've noticed that I've quit finishing games recently. Sometimes I find it almost impossible to motivate myself to finish a game. I blame it on most games just getting boring about 1/2 or 3/4 the way through and I get tired of repetition and killing the same enemy over and over and over...

read that article this morning.
it hits on one big problem in MANY different facets with people today in general.
Attention spans are shrinking drastically.
Not many people even know what the word Patience means anymore.
Put the damn phone down, turn the computer off. Turn the TV off and go do something productive for the love of God .... :monkey1

read that article this morning.
it hits on one big problem in MANY different facets with people today in general.
Attention spans are shrinking drastically.
Not many people even know what the word Patience means anymore.
Put the damn phone down, turn the computer off. Turn the TV off and go do something productive for the love of God .... :monkey1

You do know you are posting this on an internet message board, right? :rotfl

There are SO many video games that I haven't finished, it's really sad...

The games I do finish are the ones I really really like, like Mass Effect, or Starcraft.

If I'm not really interested in a game and it's long, I won't finish it--like Final Fantasy XIII or Red Dead Redemption

I'm on the last boss on final fantasy XIII

I complete only a few of the games I play but I do get near the end... but I find it weird when people only play multiplayer and not the single player :huh

I used to not even think about it. I'd buy a game, get stuck or bored and put it to the side when another came my way. When I got a PS3, I vowed I'd finish every game before I got a new one. Did well for a long time but then trophies kind of created a gray area--if you beat the game but don't get all the trophies, did you really beat it. I say yes, as you did play the game and finished the levels and beat the bosses. But I've noticed lately I don't have time so I am playing last years games now and not finishing many. I am on FFXIII now and God help me...

I used to not even think about it. I'd buy a game, get stuck or bored and put it to the side when another came my way. When I got a PS3, I vowed I'd finish every game before I got a new one. Did well for a long time but then trophies kind of created a gray area--if you beat the game but don't get all the trophies, did you really beat it. I say yes, as you did play the game and finished the levels and beat the bosses. But I've noticed lately I don't have time so I am playing last years games now and not finishing many. I am on FFXIII now and God help me...

dude

the Barthandelus battles will make you crawl into a corner. it took me 100 tries both times

If companies actually created NON-CRAPPY games, I would finish them all :lol If I liked a game, I finish it; if it blows ass, there's no point in finishing it.

I dunno, guess I'm OCD or something. I've only ever owned two games that I didn't beat. Jedi Power Battles and the newest Turok.
Both were steaming piles.
Everything else, I might put down for a little while or if something was giving me problems I'd step back and play something else but even those I eventually finished.
I have a rule about MP too. Unless there are trophies/achievements for simply playing a round (like Uncharted 2) I don't touch MP until I've finished the single player.
When I started playing Uncharted 2's MP for exaple, I already had the platinum trophy which unlocks the Marco Polo skin for your "heroes". I've bought the other skin packs for the game and changed it once or twice when we were trying to match and mess with the other team but I almost exclusively run that skin. It's a badge of honor to me.

I complete probably about 50% of the games I play. If the game sucks I don't mind not finishing it. It depends on the game for me though. Anything that is an RPG or has a deep story I will finish. Any Elder Scrolls game, Uncharted, GTA (or its similar games), Assassin Creed, Fable..to just name a few. If it has a reason for me to keep coming back because they make it fun I will definitely try and finish it.

I have 300+ games for multiple systems and I've not beaten over half of them. I really can relate to that article. I continue to buy games and slowly play through what I have. It often takes me quite a while to finish even one.

I'm still on my first play through of Mass Effect 2.

Agreed, the game has to actual warrant me playing towards the end. If it's a steaming pile of dog crap (which a lot of games are nowadays unfortunately), I'm not going to waste my time playing towards the end.

Dude, that's crazy...I'd say I dont complete 15%, but usually ones I am not enjoying

I worked with a guy when I was younger. We have still remained in contact. He bought EVERY new game that came out on Xbox worth buying. He would claim "beat that" all the time.

Then Xbox live came out and I saw how he really played. :slap

It consists of playing a game for about an hour and thats it. Probably because he buys so many damn games he doesn't have the time to play them. :rotfl

Agreed, the game has to actual warrant me playing towards the end. If it's a steaming pile of dog crap (which a lot of games are nowadays unfortunately), I'm not going to waste my time playing towards the end.

I think thats hitting the nail on the head.
I have several hobbies of which gaming is one. I have to choose which games I'm willing to spend money on and I'll usually rent, ask about the game of those who have it, or watch youtube videos to see if I think I'd like it.. The end result being that I have a somewhat small collection but I actually get to finish my games. Which reminds me... I inherited a few games from my brother that I haven't really touched yet.
I suppose you could say I haven't finished those though I haven't really started most of those and I gave the ones I didn't want/already had to my cousins. I finally traded his Red Dead Redemption (I already have it but at the time I was able to get my wife to hop on and play too) for Crysis 2. My brother-in-law had Crysis 2 and HATED it but he loved my Red Dead so we swapped. I finished Crysis 2 Sunday night. :yess: there was one point on that game that I kept screwing up. lol

Back