why no more statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i take it your saving for the hobbit items?
where will i be able to buy them sideshow or weta?
im guessing weta, do they have a site?

I think that would be a pretty safe bet. :D

:lol:lol I know this is prolly a much worn topic, but I know that SS won't have anything to do with the Weta line...but I am not entirely sure why? :eek: Can you enlighten me Woodsy? :)

:lol:lol I know this is prolly a much worn topic, but I know that SS won't have anything to do with the Weta line...but I am not entirely sure why? :eek: Can you enlighten me Woodsy? :)

Hey GG I heard a bit about the whole SS Weta thing [from someone who had direct dealings with SS] several years ago and it's a bit vague, but if I recall correctly Weta kinda just sprung the news on SS that they weren't interested in continuing with or renewing the licence which I believe was to expire at the end of Dec. 2005. I do recall in the several months prior to Dec. 05 SS telling LOTR fans on various forums that LOTR was alive and well and would be continuing well into the foreseable future. All of the sudden we got that stunning announcement from SS that the partnership was over, and I think SS really had egg on their face as a result. From what I was told SS was none to happy about the whole thing [I'm sure it cost them a boatload of money] and that the breakup was not exactly a happy one. :(

Hey GG I heard a bit about the whole SS Weta thing [from someone who had direct dealings with SS] several years ago and it's a bit vague, but if I recall correctly Weta kinda just sprung the news on SS that they weren't interested in continuing with or renewing the licence which I believe was to expire at the end of Dec. 2005. I do recall in the several months prior to Dec. 05 SS telling LOTR fans on various forums that LOTR was alive and well and would be continuing well into the foreseable future. All of the sudden we got that stunning announcement from SS that the partnership was over, and I think SS really had egg on their face as a result. From what I was told SS was none to happy about the whole thing [I'm sure it cost them a boatload of money] and that the breakup was not exactly a happy one. :(

Thanks my friend :)

Well I suppose that does kinda make sense (from SS's POV) but I can also understand, if Weta were burned out with LOTR that they also wanted to stop...Weta seem like the type of company that if they have lost the passion it is time to stop, in other words its more about the produced pieces then the money :)

Ah well, bring on the Hobbit :rock

Thanks my friend :)

Well I suppose that does kinda make sense (from SS's POV) but I can also understand, if Weta were burned out with LOTR that they also wanted to stop...Weta seem like the type of company that if they have lost the passion it is time to stop, in other words its more about the produced pieces then the money :)

Ah well, bring on the Hobbit :rock

True enough, though I can't help wondering if they regret making that decision since most of their licence choices have been a disaster since dropping LOTR. And yes, bring on The Hobbit!

I didn't quote anyone but my post still got deleted.

As I said before, I don't think we really need anymore statues, as PFs and dios have pretty much taken their place.

I disagree, i'd much rather have a statue of individual characters and creatures, that way you can have a character study of just one person and concentrate solely on them. It feels more 'museum quality' to me. Dioramas add an extra dimension. Statues show the character, diorams show those characters as they acted and interacting with others, and work well together. PF's i've never liked.

But they could at least have done a Faramir and an Eomer!! :D

While I agree with you 100% I am truly disappointed you, being his 2nd biggest fan :D, didn't mention the MoS...wait til I tell Markus about this :naughty

True enough, though I can't help wondering if they regret making that decision since most of their licence choices have been a disaster since dropping LOTR. And yes, bring on The Hobbit!

Yeah, ain't that the truth, the Kong line was great but that is the only real marginal success since...which is a shame because whatever they do is always awesomely made :)

Yeah, ain't that the truth, the Kong line was great but that is the only real marginal success since...which is a shame because whatever they do is always awesomely made :)

Exactly. Kong was a case of some extremely well done sculpts, but not a whole lot of interest. I actually have the Kong vs V-Rex statue [one of the greatest statues ever made!] and the two large busts, and I love them all. Mind you, I don't think it helped much when Weta raised both the ES and retail price of the Kong vs V-Rex statue after they had already began taking pre-orders. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Kong was a case of some extremely well done sculpts, but not a whole lot of interest. I actually have the Kong vs V-Rex statue [one of the greatest statues ever made!] and the two large busts, and I love them all. Mind you, I don't think it helped much when Weta raised both the ES and retail price of the Kong vs V-Rex statue after they had already began taking pre-orders. :rolleyes:

Lets not forget the rayguns, they all seem to be selling pretty well. From what I can gather the pre-orders for the Halo line have gone well too and I think the Doctor Who line has been doing OK.
The old Muppet bust line is all gone and of course due to the ES drop, the Caspian line is just about gone.
So really it was the 'error' in very high ES numbers for the last few LOTR items and the original Narnia line that most hurt. Along with the gamble that was the Hellgate London statues, which in many ways was a pitty, since they are fantastic statues.

Still, come the Hobbit, and Weta will be back on top again.

Lets not forget the rayguns, they all seem to be selling pretty well. From what I can gather the pre-orders for the Halo line have gone well too and I think the Doctor Who line has been doing OK.
The old Muppet bust line is all gone and of course due to the ES drop, the Caspian line is just about gone.
So really it was the 'error' in very high ES numbers for the last few LOTR items and the original Narnia line that most hurt. Along with the gamble that was the Hellgate London statues, which in many ways was a pitty, since they are fantastic statues.

Still, come the Hobbit, and Weta will be back on top again.

Quality-wise I have no concerns with Weta, but their ability to completey destroy interest in a line with their obscene ES's does concern me. I am really looking forward to Weta's Hobbit line, but if they do what they did during the last year of their LOTR line they can count me out. I'll just sit back and buy the stuff when it's virtually valueless as in the cases of such statues like Galadriel, Eowyn, KoTD, etc....that I've seen selling in the $30-40 range. Not to mention they will be hard pressed to find a retailer between here and NZ who'll even consider carrying Hobbit item's should they start playing those games. Alot of retailers have taken a real beating carrying Weta stuff in recent years and I think most will look at Weta's Hobbit line with guarded optimism at best.

Well said Woodsy. That is a major concern about retailers. My LCS still has weta stuff that he's said he just can't shift. I'd buy them if I didn't already have them, but at the moment average joe just doesn't want to spend big bucks on a series that finished 5/6 years ago. He has also mentioned that he's going to be a bit wary with how much stock he gets when Weta Hobbit stuff arrives.

Quality-wise I have no concerns with Weta, but their ability to completey destroy interest in a line with their obscene ES's does concern me.

I'd like to think they have learned a bit of a lesson since the end of LOTR and the Narnia day's.
The rayguns haven't been over done, Halo and Doctor Who has mostly been kept under control and had Hellgate London been a hit game, then the ES for those would have been OK too.

I guess they just have to not be tempted with the Hobbit to up the ES, just because it is the Hobbit, but then it was also the LOTR and those high ES's for the most part didn't sell, so one would think they will take that into account.

But we just won't know till the time comes.

While I agree with you 100% I am truly disappointed you, being his 2nd biggest fan :D, didn't mention the MoS...wait til I tell Markus about this :naughty

I would have, but Faramir and Eomer were more important characters, and i love the MoS bust :D But, a MoS on steed Weta statue would have been my fave of the lot, beating RWOS.

And i'd love a Kong vs Rex statue.

And did Weta or SS decide the ES for the latter LOTR pieces?

Back