Why is Colossus PF so expensive? (serious question)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has very little to do with inflation guys. It might reflect inflation if you are talking about something they sold 3 years ago vs now. We are talking about pieces sold months apart. This is all about what they feel they can sell any given piece at. Colossus is a major character in a MAJOR lineup in arguably their largest market license...they figure people will dish out the cash regardless of whether they feel it is overpriced or not.

This has very little to do with inflation guys. It might reflect inflation if you are talking about something they sold 3 years ago vs now. We are talking about pieces sold months apart. This is all about what they feel they can sell any given piece at. Colossus is a major character in a MAJOR lineup in arguably their largest market license...they figure people will dish out the cash regardless of whether they feel it is overpriced or not.

:lecture:clap

I would not rely on that weight description. SS often post information on weight which is incorrect.

You haven't taken into account that this piece was probably finished one year ago when oil prices were higher. Oil may drop in the short term but as soon as the worlds economy reignites its only going one way. Have you noticed any significant drop at the pumps? I'm betting not.

So you believe Sideshow's claim that Colossus is 26" but not that he weighs 10lbs? Why is that? :dunno
The new SS statues weigh much less than they did just a couple of years ago because they are hollow now to save on production costs. Also, Colossus wasn't made a year ago he was maybe designed a year ago and is currently in production so they can't use the oil was/is expensive excuse to justify the absurd price increase..Oil has averaged 100$ or less since 2008 btw

So you believe Sideshow's claim that Colossus is 26" but not that he weighs 10lbs? Why is that? :dunno
The new SS statues weigh much less than they did just a couple of years ago because they are hollow now to save of production costs. Also, Colossus wasn't made a year ago he was maybe designed a year ago and is currently in production so they can't use the oil was/is expensive excuse to justify the absurd price increase..Oil has averaged 100$ or less since 2008 btw

I guarantee it doesn't weigh 10 pounds. Colossus is 24" not 26" either.

This has had me stumped for months because I'd never heard this before, but I think I've finally wrapped my head around it.

What on Earth makes you think that inflation is reflected in paychecks? I mean, in any other way than that your purchasing power drops as inflation rises?

Because as prices rise..SOMEBODY must be getting the extra money. Just wondering where.

It's not going to the government...yet. Did SSC add some new third party that skims off profit somewhere between their factories and them? Maybe Chinese employees are getting pay raises, in which case why doesn't the slowing economy in America trickle down to prevent Chinese inflation? Usually inflation happens in times of increased spending, not decreased.

So where does the money go and why is it that regardless of the industry my friends are in, none of them seem to be seeing any of it?

Last edited:

:goodpost:That is very true actually...

:thwak I take it you can actually "guarantee" that because you already measured and weighed the Colossus PF yourself and know that Sideshow is either mistaken or lying on their website :monkey1

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3001211

Look SSC wrote Rogues height was 16" but in fact she is 2" taller then that. The base appears to be the same size if not bigger then Gambit. It weighs at least 5 pounds minimum. Even if Colossus was hollow, it would weigh more then 5 pounds. I bet my left "nut" it weighs at least 15-20lbs! :D :p

Last edited:
Because as prices rise..SOMEBODY must be getting the extra money. Just wondering where.

It's not going to the government...yet. Did SSC add some new third party that skims off profit somewhere between their factories and them? Maybe Chinese employees are getting pay raises, in which case why doesn't the slowing economy in America trickle down to prevent Chinese inflation? Usually inflation happens in times of increased spending, not decreased.

So where does the money go and why is it that regardless of the industry my friends are in, none of them seem to be seeing any of it?

Are you assuming that they are raising the prices because they actually need more money to fund these pieces? hah, that's a hoot! This is just more money to line their pockets with. Artists or sculptors or whoever is involved in the creative process may not see any extra money because the profits are all being sucked up by sideshow while the talent just gets whatever they were promised in their salaries or contracts. Of course, I'm just speculating and the artists could be getting nice bonuses (ala the way i do as a video game artist) but most of the profit from nice price hikes are just more to the money making machine and have nothing to do with production costs going up.

Are you assuming that they are raising the prices because they actually need more money to fund these pieces? hah, that's a hoot! This is just more money to line their pockets with. Artists or sculptors or whoever is involved in the creative process may not see any extra money because the profits are all being sucked up by sideshow while the talent just gets whatever they were promised in their salaries or contracts. Of course, I'm just speculating and the artists could be getting nice bonuses (ala the way i do as a video game artist) but most of the profit from nice price hikes are just more to the money making machine and have nothing to do with production costs going up.

I think we're of the same position, not sure how your read otherwise from that post. I'm one of the more ardent people here that don't believe in this so called "inflation". Its just them raising prices because they can. Cha ching.

Look SSC wrote Rogues height was 16" but in fact she is 2" taller then that. The base appears to be the same size if not bigger then Gambit. It weighs at least 5 pounds minimum. Even if Colossus was hollow, it would weigh more then 5 pounds. I bet my left "nut" it weighs at least 15-20lbs! :D :p

If you also browse the Marvel Life-Sized Busts, almost every piece is listed with 30 lbs. as their weight which obviously isn't correct.

Well that was part of my original question, if the website was accurate. I have the Rogue PF next to Gambit and I can 100% confirm the base is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller then the Gambit base and lighter. The measurements for Gambits is 30 cm to Rogues 22 cm. And yes I am giggling while I type this cause I am a juvenile.

She is as you say taller then the site says but considering that EVERYTHING about her is different from the website I do not think it can be used to support your theory.

As to the earlier question about what sort of SSC response I would like, I guess I would like to know there was "real" reasons for this like the cost of red dye spiking lol not that they are squeezing collectors already invested in a line. I mean I was naive and figured what I paid for a new PF 6 months ago would not be dramatically changed today so I made the call to start collecting.

Do I think SSC owe me low pricing? No not at all, I have no problem with them pricing items for what they want, I guess I was hoping that if there was a 1 off reason for the hike then I might stand a chance of collecting other PF's in the future.

Does not look like I am alone at least

Last edited:
simple .... Chinese workers finally got a 5 cent raise after 10 years of hard labor :rock :rock

...to be serious, i think its because its bigger and a popular character. And probably Marvel/Disney asked for more money to have the rights to do these popular characters.

Back