Why has Hot toys not done any Lord if the ring figures ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most LOTR fans are hippies, whom don't collect or like to spend money on "toys". Nerds/Geeks collect anything but only read comic books, and can't handle a big book like LOTR. LOTR/Hobbit will never be a big hit on the collectible market like Marvel/Star Wars. So in that case Hot Toys has no interest in making something that has litte interest from collectors.

What an ignorant,uneducated post this is,completely stereotyping LOTR fans/collectors :mad:

LOTR will never be a hit??? The Dark Rider PF exclusive sold out in a matter of a few weeks and that was for an $800 piece!!!! The exclusive Frodo and Sam maquette is already down to less than 25 pieces in a few weeks...GET A CLUE.

I agree . The Lord of the rings films have a huge following more then most movies . There collectibles if accurately would be a huge sell . Even normal non collectors would jump on board .

What an ignorant,uneducated post this is,completely stereotyping LOTR fans/collectors :mad:

LOTR will never be a hit??? The Dark Rider PF exclusive sold out in a matter of a few weeks and that was for an $800 piece!!!! The exclusive Frodo and Sam maquette is already down to less than 25 pieces in a few weeks...GET A CLUE.

Did it? I thought it took a rather long time to sell out. I don't think its speaking poorly of LOTR to say it isn't a collectibles market like comics or SW. Star Wars was about merchandising from Day 1 and comics have always been related to consuming, buying the comics. Tolkien existed in a dormant state in that regard for a long time.

Did it? I thought it took a rather long time to sell out. I don't think its speaking poorly of LOTR to say it isn't a collectibles market like comics or SW. Star Wars was about merchandising from Day 1 and comics have always been related to consuming, buying the comics. Tolkien existed in a dormant state in that regard for a long time.

Yeah,I suppose you're right there cstojano...SW will sell more merch purely from the fact that it was a landmark film in a time when cinematic visual effects were in their infancy.It has had a strong following for well over thirty years and is therefore bound to be a bigger seller in the collectibles division.It can't be because more people prefer the SW movies to LOTR???? I mean I like SW and everything,but really?? REALLY??!!! :slap

And with the DR,I meant it only took a short while after SS started shipping them out...In truth,I can't remember the exact length,I confess-I was just trying to prove a point. I just remember it sold out very quickly after they started shipping it :)

:duff

You can't tell me that a Hot toys uruk hai would not be a outrageously awesome figure !! I mean come on!! I could picture them using a berserker pred type body with all his war paint. Instant buy for me!

You can't tell me that a Hot toys uruk hai would not be a outrageously awesome figure !! I mean come on!! I could picture them using a berserker pred type body with all his war paint. Instant buy for me!

Or a HT Legolas, Aragorn, Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, My god do i need to go on?

:wave

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm looking at my collection and LOTR is sorely missing. Asmus just does not have the same resources as HT to give this epic the proper treatment it's due. Was there official word from HT why they're not making this? I'll sign any petition. :wave

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm looking at my collection and LOTR is sorely missing. Asmus just does not have the same resources as HT to give this epic the proper treatment it's due. Was there official word from HT why they're not making this? I'll sign any petition. :wave

Same reason we get spoon fed from SS, there are just more popular lines out there they focus on. Anything Marvel is gold right now, and of course Batman/Superman. Everything else pretty much takes a back seat.

I actually disagree.... What is it about what Asmus is doing that you feel isn't a "proper" treatment. Look at their Gandalf the White or Witch King... they are spectacular. The company is still getting legs with how to handle this production, but I feel like their work is top notch. Look at the Skully for $129.99. If Hot Toys produced that, the result would not be all too different and cost you at least $100 more. I eagerly look forward to this figure line developing.

I actually disagree.... What is it about what Asmus is doing that you feel isn't a "proper" treatment. Look at their Gandalf the White or Witch King... they are spectacular. The company is still getting legs with how to handle this production, but I feel like their work is top notch. Look at the Skully for $129.99. If Hot Toys produced that, the result would not be all too different and cost you at least $100 more. I eagerly look forward to this figure line developing.

True. . . . but I would love to see Hot Toys quality figures of the fellowship for Asmus' prices. I am pulling for Asmus and Gandalf the White in hand will answer a lot of unknowns about quality and standard base figure bodies etc. and I am pretty impressed so far and for the prices they are worth it.

True. . . . but I would love to see Hot Toys quality figures of the fellowship for Asmus' prices. I am pulling for Asmus and Gandalf the White in hand will answer a lot of unknowns about quality and standard base figure bodies etc. and I am pretty impressed so far and for the prices they are worth it.

The Witch King impressed me after giving him the water treatment, it is one of my favorites. I think Gandalf will be spectacular given the previews so far. I am holding out hope for a spectacular line. ALSO Asmus has been actively taking criticisms and modifying the final product, which is not something Hot Toys would ever provide!

Hot Toys Gandalf,Aragorn,Gimli,Frodo,Legolas,Uruk Khai soldier,Nazgûl and Gollum would be instant buy. :wink1:

It's all in the details. Looking at Gandalf the White, while the sculpt is acceptable and may even be better in person, the detailing on the costume could be improved. The patterns on his vestments are inaccurate, the cape brooch looks small and dull compared to the actual thing, and the decorative lining on his cape is missing. These are details that Hot Toys would most likely pick up on. As a collector I also assess the artwork and quality of the packaging it comes in. Their work is good but overall it is not yet at Hot Toys level that, I feel, is what this license deserves. Even if it would cost $100 more.

It's all in the details. Looking at Gandalf the White, while the sculpt is acceptable and may even be better in person, the detailing on the costume could be improved. The patterns on his vestments are inaccurate, the cape brooch looks small and dull compared to the actual thing, and the decorative lining on his cape is missing. These are details that Hot Toys would most likely pick up on. As a collector I also assess the artwork and quality of the packaging it comes in. Their work is good but overall it is not yet at Hot Toys level that, I feel, is what this license deserves. Even if it would cost $100 more.
You keep on hoping. I and others are quite content getting the "inferior" product that Asmus is producing at 2/3rds the cost.

Last edited:

The only way Hot Toys will ever make LotR figures is if someone makes a LotR/Iron Man movie.

Back