Why has Hot toys not done any Lord if the ring figures ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really hope that the Asmus will do this properly since sideshow never done justice on the 1/6 lotr line..

Well...I think this is the underlying truth and reasoning. Besides the obvious profit margin argument, cstojano hit the nail! The LOTR is a very character rich story...there realy isn't ONE central focus character. If they made a Gandalf and ONLY a Gandalf...the LOTR community would be in an uproar (sort of what we are seeing with Star Wars)...although one could argue that even Star Wars isn't as character diverse as LOTR.

Factor in the COST of costuming since every character in LOTR is visually very different...Hot Toys would not be able to re-use much as far as patterns, molds, etc....then you have the reasoning behind their lack of LOTR interest. No one...not even die hard LOTR fans would want to pay $300-$350 for a figure just so Hot Toys could meet profit margin expectations.

Now...Asmus Toys has come along and sort of shocked us with their take on the 1/6th Witchking! Priced at $155, this figure looks very well done, is in scale (standing over 14" with Helm), and will ship shortly after the pre-order went live. However, factoring in the costuming, etc. I mentioned above, the prices for their line of figures will have to go up...I mean...the witchking is all ROBES and a little armor...pretty CHEAP to create. Compared to Strider or Boromir with their multiple layers of clothing, the Witchking is a pretty easy figure to produce. I can see where Gandalf or Saruman may be less expensive as well...

Good post Gebs. Indeed I have wondered what the SW people are thinking of their Luke Bespin figure sitting in isolation in all its wonder next to the droves of crappy, wearing my dad's clothes humanoids that SS has produced. I've just gotten into the SS 1:6 Sta Wars and its wonderful stuff, but I have no human characters because I don't think they look nearly as good as the masked, costumed, alien ones.

Now if Hot Toys did an amazing Sauron and nothing else. I couldn't kind of live with that to be honest. But again, most unlikely and the price would be insane.

Robocop. All I remember about this movie is that it set a new level for violence depicted on screen. Maybe I am not remembering correctly but that's what I recall. That history may be the draw.

At the end of the day if they had put a figure out at the right time it would have sold and yes after a year or so when fans realize there will be no second figure there would have been agony in fandom but Hot Toys would have already made their money.

I think the way the liscence was it would have had to have been done like Star Wars or Hellboy where Hot Toys is doing it under Sideshow's liscence. Remeber once Sideshow got moving of the figures there were no other high end 1/6 figures for Lord of the Rings (although this could have been due to supply and demand and not because of exclusive 1/6 rights).

Also Hot Toys helped develop the hobbit bodies so technically they already are a part of the Lord of the Rings figures.

:lol Yeah ALL of that R&D between Sideshow and Hot Toys to develop Hobbit bodies that will never be used again.

I'm sure if HotToys ventured, lotsa LOTR fans would be excited. The ship has not sailed. There are still LOTR fans (like me).Until Sideshow and ToyBiz entered the scene, the whole collecting industry was still in its infancy. I'm sure Hot Toys got their incentive after seeing the quality of the collectibles go up. And for those Star Wars fans who says Kenner came before Sideshow and ToyBiz . . .that doesn't even count as serious collecting.

Most LOTR fans are hippies, whom don't collect or like to spend money on "toys". Nerds/Geeks collect anything but only read comic books, and can't handle a big book like LOTR. LOTR/Hobbit will never be a big hit on the collectible market like Marvel/Star Wars. So in that case Hot Toys has no interest in making something that has litte interest from collectors.

I'm sure if HotToys ventured, lotsa LOTR fans would be excited. The ship has not sailed. There are still LOTR fans (like me).Until Sideshow and ToyBiz entered the scene, the whole collecting industry was still in its infancy. I'm sure Hot Toys got their incentive after seeing the quality of the collectibles go up. And for those Star Wars fans who says Kenner came before Sideshow and ToyBiz . . .that doesn't even count as serious collecting.

What was the last comment about Kenner all about?

Most LOTR fans are hippies, whom don't collect or like to spend money on "toys". Nerds/Geeks collect anything but only read comic books, and can't handle a big book like LOTR. LOTR/Hobbit will never be a big hit on the collectible market like Marvel/Star Wars. So in that case Hot Toys has no interest in making something that has litte interest from collectors.

Well maybe. Surely there are Tolkien fans that fall into this stereotype. And sure there are more of then in Tolkien fandom than comic book or Star Wars collecting circles. But I dont think there are a lot of hippies here.

Well maybe. Surely there are Tolkien fans that fall into this stereotype. And sure there are more of then in Tolkien fandom than comic book or Star Wars collecting circles. But I dont think there are a lot of hippies here.

:goodpost::goodpost:

I think if hot toys did lotr it would be diffucult not to buy. I think they could do a sweet job. I dont think its hot toys fan crap I go with what artist or company is the most talented or appealing to me. If its medicom or sideshow ,asmus or flipping hasbro or neca...I just cant deny there are some amazing artist and hot toys have amazing work. Right now asmus has my eye on the witch king of awesome. They have the ball right now.

eastpak_koala_2004.jpg

I think it's BS there's not a market. If HT just made Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin(which is all they need for the Hobbit anyways) they would all sell out no problem. 13 Dwarves on the other hand. For sure not as popular in Asia, but still plenty of a market.

Tell me a HT Legolas would sit in warehouses? Aragorn? Frodo?

Bull****!

It's a bit of a silly waste to get a license and do three characters. I guess that's ok if your sort of a fan, but if this is your main thing then it's a bit weak.

HT is known for it i don't see a problem. All i need is a select few anyways. Same with Star Wars (OT ONLY ETC.ETC.) Lots of folks are selective especially with prices today. Nobody is buying 13 Dwarves from the Hobbit at HT's prices. (well maybe you):)

That's another reason for HT to never get it. That's of course on top of their insane prices for items.

Back