Why does everything Sideshow Star Wars dont go up in value ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel Star Wars products lose value because there are too many companies making them. It seems some items hold value better when there's less choices in the theme. A prime example is within just one company. Sideshow has made several Luke and Han figures just within their 1/6 line.

I feel Star Wars products lose value because there are too many companies making them. It seems some items hold value better when there's less choices in the theme. A prime example is within just one company. Sideshow has made several Luke and Han figures just within their 1/6 line.

How have they lost value? If you own a piece do you like it less because the current price on EBay is lower than you originally paid? I guess if you bought the numerous Luke's to flip, well then maybe I can see the angst. If you bought the Lukes to have and display than they have the same value you paid for it.

Of course the entire concept of value is a strange one. What someone is willing to pay today can be and will more than likely be significantly different than what someone will be willing to pay come 5, 10, 20 years from now. Most investments are ones you hold for a period of time, not buy today and resale tomorrow for a profit. Not every piece is going to be appreciate quickly like Doom, but once the collectors have the Lukes in their home, office, wherever the keep there collectibles and the stop appearing regularly on EBay then the price will go up. I don't think it is a question of if they will go up in value, but when.

Maybe the 12" Vader will go up in price after it sells out....Unless SS makes the largest edition size ever.

"How have they lost value?" when I buy something for $299 and I try to see it a few months later and I can only get $200.

I'm keeping my Ex Anakin!!!! :rock

I guess this is part of the broader "oversaturation" issue, but I think a lot of SW collectors simply need to fund their continuing buying habit.

If you can't afford the latest figure you end up selling an older one, and when so many people are doing that it ends up going down on resale value.

This also plays on the fact that SW fans will buy things that are not necessarily their favorite thing. A lot of SW fans buy multiple lines of stuff.

I think most collectors that stick to one specific thing (like statues or 1/6th) end up keeping stuff longer than people who collect everything.

How have they lost value?

monetary wise. if you buy a piece, never take it out of it's packaging, and then try to resell it, you rarely get what you paid for it. although there are exceptions, most go down in value. sort of like a new car. buy it and drive it off the lot and it instantly loses thousands in value.

i own the complete sideshow star wars exclusive 12" line. i'd be lucky at this point to get what i paid for them minus 20%. why is it this way you ask? i think because there are too many people selling them as well as companies manufacturing them. supply and demand.

There are too many people willing to take a loss, plain and simple.

Exactly, because they want to shovel money into something brand new.

I'm sure there are people who sold Leia Boussh at a loss for Bespin Luke, which they sold for a loss to get ANH Han...and when Vader hits they'll sell Han at a loss.

Some prefer to own while others "rent".

Exactly, because they want to shovel money into something brand new.

I'm sure there are people who sold Leia Boussh at a loss for Bespin Luke, which they sold for a loss to get ANH Han...and when Vader hits they'll sell Han at a loss.

Some prefer to own while others "rent".

And in the end everyone has AIDS!!!

But seriously why do people buy things just to sell them. I mean go get a real job if you need money. If you can't make ends meet selling a toy for a small gain or loss doesn't seem like the most promising proposition.

I heard from a good source, that alot of Marvel Fans Pre-Order SW items and then cancel. They do this to raise the edition and make SW products worth less then Marvel Statues.

i buy marvel stuff just to keep it out of the hands of real marvel fans. then they have to buy the stuff at outrageous prices. i think it's funny. got a whole closet full of marvel that ive never even looked at.

That sounds pretty ridiculous. I don't think I believe that. Star Wars has a much bigger base of buyers than Marvel and I truly believe that is why the edition numbers are higher.

i buy marvel stuff just to keep it out of the hands of real marvel fans. then they have to buy the stuff at outrageous prices. i think it's funny. got a whole closet full of marvel that ive never even looked at.

Sweet...........................:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I think the reason is because some star wars geeks can't get off of Gentle Giants tit. So you have a split fan base.

I heard from a good source, that alot of Marvel Fans Pre-Order SW items and then cancel. They do this to raise the edition and make SW products worth less then Marvel Statues.

What?!? Are you being serious? or just paranoid?

We're all geeks here, no need fighting amongst ourselves.

Yeah, if I gotta choose a side, I'm going to start ordering SW items just to cancel prior to ship. Thanks for the idea.

Pure Genius !!!!!

Back