Who's going to SDCC and where are you staying?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a SDCC vet, I've noticed some the cabbies like to take the LONG route. Which is common everywhere, but keep an eye out and let em know. The "quickest route".

Yeah I love it when they pull that crap. I will map quest things before I go and take them with me.

Thankfully, I'll have my car and won't have to worry about cabbies.

:lecture:lecture:lecture
Me too! parking can be a ^^^^^, but it's helpful once you're carrying a bunch of collectibles!! :D

Seriously people, avoid using cabs as much as possible,
if you're in the downtown area use a bike cab, they're friendly and some of them will give you a ride for tips.
If you need to go further from the downtown area, try to use the trolly as much as possible, it runs until 2:00 am I believe...

I usually park on Wednesday and don't take the car out again until Sunday (except for party setup, that is).

But even if your hotel is distant, there are shuttle buses running all through the day and night. No need for a car - all the best bars are in the Gaslamp right around the convention center. The first couple of years I commuted in and parking was just a huge hassle.

I usually park on Wednesday and don't take the car out again until Sunday (except for party setup, that is).

But even if your hotel is distant, there are shuttle buses running all through the day and night. No need for a car - all the best bars are in the Gaslamp right around the convention center. The first couple of years I commuted in and parking was just a huge hassle.
Not quite all night but they run late, I know I caught some around 2am last year.

Not quite all night but they run late, I know I caught some around 2am last year.

Depends on the day of the con. IIRC...

Wed/Thurs they run until 11pm or midnight
Fri/Sat they run until about 2am-ish
Sun they run until 6pm or maybe till 7pm-ish

If you get there early enough, there are some really nice indoor parking garages that are not that expensive; I would avoid a cab at all costs. We usually get there very early and eat breakfast and one of the restaurants that are all within walking distance.

If you get there early enough, there are some really nice indoor parking garages that are not that expensive; I would avoid a cab at all costs. We usually get there very early and eat breakfast and one of the restaurants that are all within walking distance.

The first two years I went, I parked in the garage across the street from the Omni/Tin Fish. Great location--but the last two years I ended up farther away. 2007 was my worst year for parking.

Anyone staying on Coronado Island? If so, is it a pain in the ass to get off the island and get to the show. Any options other than the ferry?

Anyone staying on Coronado Island? If so, is it a pain in the ass to get off the island and get to the show. Any options other than the ferry?

I -live- on the island. It is always easy to get to the show, we usually leave about 800-830am and never have problems parking in the lot just past Hall H.

This year they started ferry service between the island and a new pier over by Joe's Crab Shack-- we might try that. Ferry schedule here

The 901 bus costs $2.25 (might be $2.50) one way and stops at PetCo Park, we've done that as well.

USUALLY we drive because that involves the least amount of walking.

So what do you guys think? Should I arrive early Wednesday morning instead of Tuesday?

Unless you want to take advantage of going to some of the sites on Tuesday (Sea World, Disneyland, etc.) you might want to save the hotel cost for Tuesday nite. Most preview nite attendees don't arrive until late morning/early afternoon to link up with anyway.

Cost for cab from airport to most Gaslamp area hotels is $12-$15 (not including tip). That's per cab/not per person in cab. As for the "long way" around -- sometimes, it can't be helped, especially with the gridlock about 2 blocks on either side and in front of the Con and you can actually get to your hotel faster. I've never worried about my cabbie taking a little bit longer route....I figure the sooner he dumps me to where I want to be, the sooner he can get back in line at the airport to get more fares.

Ok well after much wheeling and dealing and some persistance I am going!

I would like to officially announce my arrival!

I arrive at the San Diego airport at 10:32am. I expect that Dave will have a limo waiting for me. Right Dave?
I will leave early Sunday afternoon.

I am now going to go cry because I am broke after buying my ticket. :monkey2:lol

Back