Where would you spend your money if you weren't collecting figures and statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xb24

Super Freak
Reaction score
Imagine if you weren't interested in collecting or if these figures and statues didn't exist. Where would your money be?

Collecting isn't really a huge priority of mine, and now days, I only buy things when I have an idea of where and how I'd like to display them. That said, I'm pretty much out of 1/6 figure collecting. Focusing on larger scales and statues has given me a chance to prioritize just the important pieces versus completing entire lines.

But, I think if funds could be better allocated elsewhere - like paying off debts and student loans, then it's probably best to put those things in order first before buying expensive novelty items.

I’d probably either save more or maybe buy more movies. Buying movies was my hobby previously. I still do but not as frequently.

I’m more geared towards experiences over material these days so I usually budget for at least two nice vacations a year. Other than that, extra money typically goes to paying down the mortgage as quickly as possible. I have about 159K to go and hope to be free in 5 years or less.

cars. another worse money pit.

i been always buying toys, but at one point i had the option of getting into cars thanks to initial d and best motoring but decided buying toys would be better instead of collecting real cars, had to vent the money somewhere.

but then again a gtr could have easily yielded a 100k return. would have been easier to offload too.

More travelling.
what type of travelling. together woth travel agencies, or just drive to some other cities or countryside?

i absolutely hate following tour groups but is the easiest and safer option, but the schedule is so packed that i usually cant remember where i've been to when going between few countries within 2 weeks spending lots of time on the travel bus. nice part is everything is paid and arranged.

nowadays i prefer a longer stay in some quiet city but safety getting bad worldwide and the safest countries are usually expensive.

I’d probably either save more or maybe buy more movies. Buying movies was my hobby previously. I still do but not as frequently.
if they cost $5. every few years they release a better version, before a new format arrives. now it is all about digital purchases as movie file size getting bigger.

i would still love those giant LDs because they were so nicely designed to get people to buy them when they were new and overpriced. especially the japanese LDs. too bad i have no space for novelties like this even the dvd are taking up space.

Only things I need, which I where I am slowly going. It is easier to acquire stuff than it is to give it away. I heard a quote from a guy who does house clearances. "The dead do not worry about stuff they dId not buy" Life experiences, having a beer watching life and enjoying the little things.

I’m more geared towards experiences over material these days so I usually budget for at least two nice vacations a year. Other than that, extra money typically goes to paying down the mortgage as quickly as possible. I have about 159K to go and hope to be free in 5 years or less.
Much luck to you my friend.

I started buying basses, amps, and effects pedals when I stopped buying figures, statues, art, comics, and movies. Done with that now too (unless I manage to find a dark blue Rickenbacker 4003, or a 70’s B.C. Rich Bich 8 string).

Now I’m gravitating towards weapons. There’s a nice .357 revolver at the store near me, and Hanwei forge makes a gorgeous naginata.

That said, an occasional comic hardcover (Marvel Masterworks is still good for a few Uncanny X-Men volumes) or bluray is a given, and if Hot Toys ever makes a Bespin Han Solo or Boushh Leia, I’m in.

Last edited:
Mutual funds. I'm sure collecting is a better investment, though, assuming that Hot Toys never re-releases updated/improved updates of older figures.

In truth, I don't spend much on toys anymore, so I'm a kind of control here. I primarily spend money on activities for the kids and mysterious Amazon packages purchased by the spouse.

1000023556.jpg

Over the last two years I've been getting back into the knife "hobby". They're all tools that I use. Ranging from 100-1000(almost), folders or fixed.

Always $ on car parts for the Plymouth until I'm done...

Next year it's all about traveling, with the remaining item on my SSC po list shrinking until I hit zero.

I also collect vinyl records. But I have spent much more on toys than on records, even though I have been collecting records for 40 years. The most I have ever spent on a record was $300, and that was for a box set.

Stereo gear, on the other hand, is another story. I am considering spending 10k in 2024, and in the las 2 years, I have spent 20k on my stereo

Back