Who would buy HT District 9 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy Hot Toys figures of District 9

• Total voters
I got the Art of District 9 book the other day

All Ill say is id LOVE to get a HT of the original Exo Suit. Thing looked AMAZING. Too bad they changed it.

I don't know if I'd buy but a HT Prawn would be interesting. I really felt this movie outdid Avatar in the effects department. Never for a moment did I think of the alien characters as CGI.

I guess the downside IMO is that they would likely be mostly rubber and I have doubts about the longevity of such figs.

^ Watching the blu-ray of the movie on a nice HD set, the aliens stick out as CG much more.

Not to take away from the excellent CG in D9, but its apparently much easier to render and light designs like the prawns due to their shellish look and texture, than it is to render more humanoid characters like in Avatar (never mind actual humans...look at Tron Legacy, yikes!).

Its the reasony why Starship troopers CG still looks amazing to this day (for the main bugs, the brain one looks really obvious), the designs of the aliens lent themselves extremely well to the rendering and lighting.

^ Watching the blu-ray of the movie on a nice HD set, the aliens stick out as CG much more.

Not to take away from the excellent CG in D9, but its apparently much easier to render and light designs like the prawns due to their shellish look and texture, than it is to render more humanoid characters like in Avatar (never mind actual humans...look at Tron Legacy, yikes!).

Its the reasony why Starship troopers CG still looks amazing to this day (for the main bugs, the brain one looks really obvious), the designs of the aliens lent themselves extremely well to the rendering and lighting.

Good point. Also applies to the rain-soaked T-Rex in Jurassic Park that IMO still holds up.

Good point. Also applies to the rain-soaked T-Rex in Jurassic Park that IMO still holds up.
Yeah, T-Rex at night still looks jaw dropping.

But the scene of the T-Rex during the day eating the gallimimus...has not aged well at all, in my opinion at least.

Back to D9, the artbook also shows tons of unused concepty and early designs for the prawns as well. Like originally there were supposed to be huge, hulking worker Prawns alongside the smaller ones.

In the film, the prawns stranded on Earth were supposedly workers, whose only authority was either not there or died of starvation and degredation aboard the ship. In other words, those extra concepts they came up with can still apply. Personally, I'd say a sequel is more than in order; it'd be a great world to expand on.

I just saw the film in my local theatre yesterday! It only just opened over here :)

I really loved it and I instantly thought (and hoped :D) Hot Toys could make some really cool and innovative figures from this movie.
I for one would love to see:

Wikus van der Merwe:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Christopher Johnson:

Spoiler Spoiler:

And, probably a (very) long shot:

The robot suit :rock :rock :rock
I like the way you think sir.

Back