Who Saw Ghost Rider Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two questions:

1. Has Mark Steven Johnson ever made a good movie? :confused:

2. Has anyone's star [not including Ben Affleck] fallen further in the last couple of year's faster than Nicolas Cage's? :confused:

That should pretty well tell you what I thought of this movie. :slap ..great trailer though!

Stuff I thought was funny ("SPOILERS AHEAD"!):

• -The awful, awful hard rock version of 'ghost riders in the sky' that ruins the scene where 'they' ride to the old ghost town (forget the name).
  • -Blaze's reaction upon discovering his best friend of years, Mack, is dead-- about only the person shown throughout the film to actually care about him (the adult JB) the most: Blazes walks into his apartment, discovers his ghastly corpse, and says something like "Oh, Mack...", and promptly moves on to look for Eva Mendes
  • -The absolutely pathetic 'bad guys', especially the three lackey henchmen
  • -The 'fight' with the water henchmen-- which essentially is: Blaze is dragged into some water, struggles for a few seconds, goes "SURPRISE!", turns into Ghost Rider, thus instantly burning/vaporizing said foe. End confrontation
  • -The same awful music repeated as the outro to the film

Without a doubt, I found it entertaining, in the way sometimes bad films can be-- I just wished I'd caught it on cable instead.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I thought the Director's Cut of Daredevil was very good.

Can't say I saw it. After watching the original I'm not sure I want to. :rolleyes:

gabberjawa said:
[*] -Blaze's reaction upon discovering his best friend of years, Mack, is dead-- about only the person shown throughout the film to actually care about him (the adult JB) the most: Blazes walks into his apartment, discovers his ghastly corpse, and says something like "Oh, Mack...", and promptly moves on to look for Eva Mendes

I totally agree on that, the guy was like his best friend and he didn't give a crap when he died.

I thought it was very entertaining, not horrible and not really amazing, but I think it does what it's supposed to. The only reason critics hate it is because they want it to be something it can't (like something 'deep' as we describe in English class)

The only thing is that when he was fighting as Ghost Rider he didn't really seem to be struggling. The confrontations ended pretty quickly. But again, it was a very entertaining movie.

The FX were good, but this had the feel of a TV Movie all over it. About on par with Daredevil.

The battles with most of the badguys lasted all of what, 10 seconds each?

My son really wanted to see this, and so I took him. He is five and covered his eyes through any scene that included the bad guys.

I admit that it was not as bad as I had built it up to be. The FX were better than I anticipated, and I was ready for a total Elvis impersonation that never materialized. He just had a mildly southern accent, that was it.

If I had gone into the theater with high hopes they would have been crushed to pieces, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. I would compare it to something like the theatrical cut of Daredevil.

The worst part of the movie for me was where the "Old West" Ghost Rider ignites and they ride together to the showdown with Blackheart, and then he changes back and basically says, "I could only change one more time, and that was it."

If he only had one more change left, why didn't he change when it was time to fight the bad guy? If I had been Ghost Rider, I would have been irritated at the old fart's horrible sense of timing.

And the fight with the water demon came out of nowhere. Ghost Rider is approaching the ghost town for the climax, and then all of a sudden he is in a swamp with funky trees fighting the water dude in a disappointingly brief struggle. Then we cut back to Ghost Rider approaching the ghost town. It felt like they had this extra scene and it got randomly inserted into a place that made no sense to me geographically. So if this was film is in the running for the Academy Award for Best Film Editing, I think that segment really hurt its chances.

gabberjawa said:
Stuff I thought was funny ("SPOILERS AHEAD"!):

• -The awful, awful hard rock version of 'ghost riders in the sky' that ruins the scene where 'they' ride to the old ghost town (forget the name).
  • -Blaze's reaction upon discovering his best friend of years, Mack, is dead-- about only the person shown throughout the film to actually care about him (the adult JB) the most: Blazes walks into his apartment, discovers his ghastly corpse, and says something like "Oh, Mack...", and promptly moves on to look for Eva Mendes
  • -The absolutely pathetic 'bad guys', especially the three lackey henchmen
  • -The 'fight' with the water henchmen-- which essentially is: Blaze is dragged into some water, struggles for a few seconds, goes "SURPRISE!", turns into Ghost Rider, thus instantly burning/vaporizing said foe. End confrontation
  • -The same awful music repeated as the outro to the film

Without a doubt, I found it entertaining, in the way sometimes bad films can be-- I just wished I'd caught it on cable instead.

Got more funny stuff to add: *spoilers ahead*

1. So sam shepard said that he only had one ride left in him before he would "end". so he rode the entire way as a ghost rider, to just end up leaving after giving johnny a shotgun. why ride the way anyway?

2. the absolute lack of "power" that blackheart has. he just touches people and they turn all pale and die? come on, at least the elemental guys did something cool.

3. ghost rider's powers are just never explained. okay, he has the pennance stare, by WHY? why does the devil's bounty hunter have a power to forces people to judge themselves?

4. When he gets stab by a knife, he has to get stiches but if he gets shot a hundred times then he can walk perfectly fine

5. Why was the contract even considered lethal? His powers didn't seem to improve at all

6. I never knew that if you find a license plate then that meant you committed the crime

7. Why does mephistopheles keep making GR's if he can't control them and obviously taking their "soul" doesn't do anything

can't think of any more...

congerking said:
Got more funny stuff to add: *spoilers ahead*
1. So sam shepard said that he only had one ride left in him before he would "end". so he rode the entire way as a ghost rider, to just end up leaving after giving johnny a shotgun. why ride the way anyway?

I think you mean Sam Elliott. :)
I just got done watching the movie, and I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised that I actually found the movie entertaining. Though some of these points that have been brought up do make me wonder if perhaps I was high when I viewed it.

Good point on why does he need stitches after a knife wound but is fine after getting shot a kazillion times....

Well if you are into special effects, I'd say it's worth watching on a big screen...but go during a matinee. I actually had a free pass so I didn't have to pay anything. I thought Eva Mendes was absolutely horrible...and Nic Cage was a bit better than he has been of late. The best part for me was Sam Elliott...for an old guy he is rather hot with the sexiest voice around.

Best to worst Marvel movies

X-Men
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
X-Men 2
Blade
Fantastic Four
Blade 2
X-men III
Elektra
Hulk
Blade 3
Daredevil

Not yet seen
Ghost Rider
Cat Woman

pordey2 said:
Best to worst Marvel movies

X-Men
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
X-Men 2
Blade
Fantastic Four
Blade 2
X-men III
Elektra
Hulk
Blade 3
Daredevil

Not yet seen
Ghost Rider
Cat Woman

Slightly off topic, but you must mean the regular edition of Daredevil (and even then I would rate it higher than FF). The director's cut puts it into the upper echelon for me.

My list of Superhero Movies:

Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
Superman 1/Superman 2 (I consider it 1 whole movie ... and yes, I realize how stupid the ninja star Supes symbol and forgetful kiss are :lol )
X-Men 2
Hellboy (Director's Cut)
Spider-Man
Blade
X-Men
Burton Batman 1 and 2
Superman Returns
Daredevil (Director's Cut)
Blade 2
X-men III
Ghost Rider
Punisher (Director's Cut)
The Rocketeer
Superman 3
Dolph Lundgren Punisher
Blade 3
Fantastic 4
Hulk
Elektra
Supergirl
Batman 3
And a three way tie for the worst movie EVER in any genre
Superman: Quest for Peace / Catwoman / Batman Forever

I still feel like I am forgetting a few ... :D As for Ghost Rider, I found it entertaining. Of course, I only really started reading GR a year or so back when Garth Ennis started writing so I do not have a huge connection to the source material. So, I approached the movie as a movie, not an adaption of the comic.

DouglasMcc said:
Superman 1/Superman 2 (I consider it 1 whole movie ... and yes, I realize how stupid the ninja star Supes symbol and forgetful kiss are :lol )

Have you seen The Donner Cut of SUPERMAN II yet? It's outstanding. Best Supes flick by far, imho.

For starters, both of those things you mentioned are gone... as well as lots of the other goofy Richard Lester stuff. It's much more like the first film in tone.

:rock

Just got back from seeing it. Thought it was worth the price to see it. Not the best flick ever but it was pretty good as far as Marvel movies go. I'd buy it when it comes out on DVD. The bad guys in general needed more to them than what they where. GR did get rid of them a little too easy IMO.

Well, if we're doing favorite super hero movie lists from best to worst, here goes:

Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
Spider-Man
The Rocketeer (I loved this movie)
Blade (love vampires and comic-based movies (2 for 1))
Blade II
Batman (Burton)
Superman (Donner)
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Blade Trinity
The Punisher (Jane)
The Crow
V for Vendetta
The Shadow
The Hulk
Dare Devil
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Ghost Rider
Elektra (saving grace is Jennifer Garner in tights)
Adam West Batman movie (It's so bad it's good, but not enough to see it more than once)
The Punisher (Lundren)
Supergirl
Fantastic Four *worst comic book movie I seen

Haven't and probably most likely don't plan on seeing it:

Catwoman

Last edited:
I thought Ghost Rider was REALLY bad. Just silly in every way. The scenes of GR on the bike were great but everything else was pretty boring.

It's been said that a film is only as good as it's villian. Well even more proff of how awful this film is.

The action scenes were dull also. Basically you watched GR do a couple of basic tricks with his chain and that was it. Bad guy dead. No action scene really stood out.

And Sam Shepard was wasted.

Blah!!

My list of best comic films

1. Superman - Just a great film. Still makes me believe a man can fly
2. Spider-Man 2 - A perfect comic book movie
3. Batman Begins - Almost perfect
4. Blade - If this film had the action scenes of Blade II it would be #1
5. X-men
6. Superman II The Doner Cut
7. Blade II
8. HULK - Use to be much higher. Is not holding up as well
9. Daredevil Director's cut - Where is the love for this film? I think more would like it if it was not cool to hate good ol Ben.
10. Spider-Man - Green Goblins costume holds this film back.
11. Batman Returns
12. X-Men 3
13. The Crow
14. Batman
15. Hellboy
16. Superman Returns
17. Tenage Mutant Ninja Turtels
18. V for Vendetta
19. Constintine

Worst of the worst

11. Batman Forever
10. The Punisher - Both versions - Still waiting for a good Punisher movie
9. Elektra
8. Fantastic Four
7. Superman III
6. Ghost Rider
5. Batman and Robin
4. CatWoman
3. Supergirl
2. Blade III - If I did not love the first two so much perhaps I would not hate this one so.

And the worst Comic film ever
1. Superman Quest for Peace

Besides Blade III, I gotta agree with your dislike list. I absolutely was disgusted by the mediocrity that was Fantastic Four. Ghost Rider is pretty close to it.

I liked Ghost Rider more than Fantastic Four only because I like Nic Cage more than any of the actors in FF.

But I thought both were definitely pretty poor.

Back