Who else is Mormon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Aldeggon said:
Exactly. Also I'm sorry to hear that they said that if you don't donate you're an evil person. Nobody in the church receives any money whatsoever, not even the President. When I served my two-year mission, I paid for it myself, including all expenses, and never received a dime. And I'm glad I did it.

While the church collects money to erect buildings and maintain the basic facilities, donations are voluntary and are ONLY used for the maintaining of church functions. Nobody gets anything out of it, and the money is treated as sacred. Anybody who tries to get paid for teaching a religion obviously doesn't get what religion is supposed to be about.

Yep, I can tell that you served a mission and have a good understanding of how the church works. Your remarks do the church justice. You say it the way it is. :D

congerking said:
my cousin just converted to a LDS,and what they told him about their religion just got underneath my skin

I had a cousin convert to LSD, what he did with a tooth brush really got under my skin.

I lived among the Mormons in SLC for a year back when I was in High School. A few years back. :) The rough part was, I was a Lutheran in a LDS society and as such was not really accepted as an equal there. Sad, but that's the way it was, at least back then. And, I was a good girl, except that I wore mini skirts and they frowned on that. Oh well, didn't make me want to convert

I had a friend who's brother went on a mission over in Ireland and that guy came back with a ton of cds, posters, and van. And a girlfriend......

I was like "Dude your brother rocks!" I might have to convert if I can get all that!

Viking28 said:
I had a friend who's brother went on a mission over in Ireland and that guy came back with a ton of cds, posters, and van. And a girlfriend......

I was like "Dude your brother rocks!" I might have to convert if I can get all that!

A van? I might have to consider that as well.

Was it a nice van?

With all the talk about missions why did Steve Young (who is a direct decendent of Brigham Young) not go on a mission? I thought it was a rule that you had to go on one.

Beruthiel said:
I lived among the Mormons in SLC for a year back when I was in High School. A few years back. :) The rough part was, I was a Lutheran in a LDS society and as such was not really accepted as an equal there. Sad, but that's the way it was, at least back then. And, I was a good girl, except that I wore mini skirts and they frowned on that. Oh well, didn't make me want to convert

Hmm.... I tend to frown on people who frown on people. Especially for wearing mini skirts. Unless worn by a BBW. And even then it depends on the skirt. :D

As the point of a mission is to talk to people about the church and share our beliefs, it was felt (and correctly so) that more people would have exposure to the church through him than if he were to leave (speaking of Steve Young). While in his case it may be true, there really aren't many other examples like it. If somebody is in the military on active duty or is physically unable to serve, there are always alternatives. So while all who qualify are expected to go, there is still consideration of individual needs and situations. The standards are high, but it encourages effort--and if you're going to be on the streets talking to people about religion, you need to have a lot of courage, trust me.

And Beruthiel, that makes me sad to hear you were treated like that. Growing up in California I got a lot of cold feelings for being LDS; lots of people think we are a cult or that we aren't Christians, even after all these years. I had a lot of people call me an anti-Christ and say I was going to hell just for being of a different religion. It was really hard sometimes, but I just treated them nicely anyways because I figured they didn't know any better, and if they did, then it was their problem. I guess the best way to deal with mean people is just to be nice to them. It sure made me a happy person! You'd think I'd resent all the animosity, but treating them well made me feel a lot of compassion for them. And eventually, I made friends with a lot of them. Who'd of thought?
:rolleyes:

madden821 said:
With all the talk about missions why did Steve Young (who is a direct decendent of Brigham Young) not go on a mission? I thought it was a rule that you had to go on one.

Because he is rich. In that religion, if you are rich, you can get away with that.

congerking said:
Because he is rich. In that religion, if you are rich, you can get away with that.

I know of richer kids than Steve Young who went on a mission. John Huntsmen junior (whose father is one of the richest men in America) went on a mission (to Honk Kong, I think).

That sort of sweeping generalization, if you examine it closely, I am sure is wrong.

Back