Which is more important; paint or sculpt?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakey Jones

Super Freak
Reaction score
Of course they're both important when it comes to making good collectibles.
But if one deserved a smidge more attention tham the other which one do you think should be?

Last edited:
Sculpt, easy.

You can have fantastic collectibles that utilize little to no paint, whether it's composed of metal or cast in material. Granted, the opposite can be said in reverence to paint, but we're mainly talking about pop culture toys, figures, and statues, right?

This is a tough question.

Both are important to me. You can have a great sculpt, but if the paint isn't up to par then the overall sculpt is going to look crappy.

Sculpt, because A)repainting is easier than resculpting, and B) I'm a sculptor myself, and know what goes into a good sculpt. 'Nuff said...PS

They go hand in hand, without one the other is pointless.
I only collect direct from manufacturer box-fresh stuff. So if a great sculpt is let down by bad or even mediocre paint apps it's an instant no go.
But for people who are willing to let someone repaint an item then it goes without saying that the sculpt is all, but if that's the case why not get a good garage kit.

Sculpt.

If you're really displeased with the paint of an item you can always go to the lengths of getting it repainted. If you're displeased with the sculpt you're pretty much stuck with it.

Sculpt.

If you're really displeased with the paint of an item you can always go to the lengths of getting it repainted. If you're displeased with the sculpt you're pretty much stuck with it.
^^ Agreed. But if you can't or don't want to get something repainted, then they are equally important. Sideshow's long tradition of ____ty paint apps on great sculpts demonstrates this.

Sculpt has got to be way more important , as that is why we spend good money on them , look at the hot toys stuff , if they looked nothing like the character we just would not buy them.
Also everything can be easily repainted by yourself or as a comission.
Some sculptors charge $300.00 for a 1/6 head sculpt were as it would probably only cost $50.00 for a head re-paint , me myself can paint so no worries there.
Also the money we fork out for the likes of premium format statues and what not you should get both an amazing sculpt and a stunning paint job.

Cheers

Jay

That should be on a shirt :lecture

Or a bumper sticker :lecture

Or those pajama pants slutty chicks wear with words on their butts. :lecture

I'm like wookster, I buy stuff based on the finished product, not based on how much I can (or someone I can pay to) alter it.

Agree with you on that devil 666, you can upgrade but we already paying for something thats ment to be a custom desing and for that the price of whatever company you mention, so for me both or just pass on getting the collectible!!

That should be on a shirt :lecture

Or a bumper sticker :lecture

Or those pajama pants slutty chicks wear with words on their butts. :lecture

my god that's brilliant :lecture

make this happen............:duff

we'll make millions.............:lecture

I'm not sure if one can go well without the other, maybe excepting bronze or b/w stuff where paint colors are not too important.

Back