Action Figure Where's all the 1/6 Leatherface customs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$1,000-$2,000 for a custom figure? That really doesn't seem bad to me, AT ALL.

I'm new to collecting 1/6 figures, but I've spent tens of thousands on game used sports memorabilia. Last summer at an auction I spent $1,500 on some 16mm film just to be the only person on the planet to own a complete copy of the 1961 NBA all-star game. I've made so many of these type of purchases over the years, and have been told from family, friends & strangers that I'm crazy & wasting my money. On the flip-side I've had just as many people drool over these items & offer me similar prices.

The value is in the eye of the beholder.

Are we talking commissions here? Or figs in the secondhand market in general? Go try and find a v1 Bill the butcher for under 5,000 and lmk. Same with wonka. Or serangs Hendrix. Gangboy ext. those are the prices u have to pay in order to get them. If u can't justify spending 1000 plus on a custom then u should stick to hot toys or something mass produced.

And calling it a "doll" when it's 2k plus is stupid. This stuff is limited art guys. There's a bashes rainman Dude on eBay right now that can't even fetch 400 and it looks good! But the second u see a Rainman FS dude for sale for 3k it's gone in 10 min. Why is that??

Got a little off topic there. Lol. All I'm sayin is, you can buy picasso or u can buy a 10$ print of the same image off eBay. Just don't look down on the guy with the real deal

Last edited:
No one is looking down at anyone; at least I'm not. Buy what ever you like for however much you want. Call it art. Call it a doll. I have an opinion. You have an opinion. Spending $1,500 on a piece of NBA film is a waste, but if he enjoys it doesn't harm me in any way.

You are participating in a hobby where these price tags exist. Sharing your opinion is fine but don't expect the ppl that do spend heavy doe on "dolls" not to share theirs

No one is looking down at anyone; at least I'm not. Buy what ever you like for however much you want. Call it art. Call it a doll. I have an opinion. You have an opinion. Spending $1,500 on a piece of NBA film is a waste, but if he enjoys it doesn't harm me in any way.

Thanks for the support. lol

You are participating in a hobby where these price tags exist. Sharing your opinion is fine but don't expect the ppl that do spend heavy doe on "dolls" not to share theirs
No, by all means share. People's opinions don't offend me. People spending money on "stupid" stuff happens all the time (opinion). My daughter pointed that out when I told her I spend $25 on a 1/6 sculpt.

i do love the figure, seen it at an expo on a youtube video about a year ago and just feel in love........but back to reality 500 euro plus, it would haunt me lol, great for whoever pulls the trigger it looks the full figure with a cool diorama

And calling it a "doll" when it's 2k plus is stupid. This stuff is limited art guys. There's a bashes rainman Dude on eBay right now that can't even fetch 400 and it looks good! But the second u see a Rainman FS dude for sale for 3k it's gone in 10 min. Why is that??

Are you seriously suggesting that it no longer is a "doll" when these figures reach high secondary prices? :rotfl
Even Rainman still distinguishes his work as dolls.

Also, the most accurate barometer to measure the genuine aftermarket value of a custom figure is to track its resale trends and history of consistency with regard to value. Multiple transactions of specific figures that are constantly selling at 2 or 3x their value in the secondary market certify that. So while a very select few of figures have been proven time and time again to hold their value, (For example Rainman V1 Bill), most others do not. There's too much custom product out their hanging on the coat tails of the success that Rainman or Beto have had with respect to the value and quality that you actually get with their product. Simply put their stuff holds weight because it's been proven time and time again.

The retail price of some of the higher end custom figures is a true reflection of the time, materials, labor, and skill involved in making somthing that is not offered anywhere else on the market. Most of that cost is consumed by these factors.

From my observation someone like One's Customs fits the bill more of a "on commission" figure maker, like a 1 of or 1 at a time type of customizer, even though he has done small runs of figures. I do notice that most of the eBay sales may be coming from newer collectors who don't really have the knowledge or experience yet to gauge differences in the level of quality that is being provided on a constant basis from guys like Rainman or Beto for example as compared to others. While they initially sell high on eBay, One's figures don't really have a track record of holding their value. It would be interesting to see how his figures sell for here on the forum as compared to a place like eBay, where you normally see bashes of lesser quality figures being offered and is usually the place where most newer hobbyists start before they find their way here and the knowledge that this site provides.

Last edited:
Hey like I said to each is own, I spent $3500 on a Swiss arms black special rifle and that serves a purpose, I looks nice on the wall, I can take it out hunting or target shooting.....I'm just saying that there will never be a day where I spend $1000-$5000 on a doll that is just gonna sit there and look nice in a cabinet but serves no purpose other than to fill the empty holes of whatever makes one purchase a doll for that kind of money, I would just take a picture of it, cut it out and glue it onto a cardboard stand in 1/6 scale and bingo I just spent 14 cents instead of a what could have been a home renovation, if you got more money than you know what to do with all the power to you, I also think that using ones customs in the same lines as Picasso is a pretty bold statement and I understand you 2 are like Siegfried & Roy but let's be serious here for a min....I don't stick to just hot toys or any mass produced figures I buy what I like and that's what determines what's in my collection, but when it comes down to 1 figure that is limited or a detolf full of awesome characters I don't need to tell you who wins, anyways buy what you want with your money all the power to ya, if a $5000 art doll helps you sleep more or makes you get out of the house and interact with society then spend away

Well my collection mostly consists of SSC and HT figures and I have one custom figure from a Customizer that was a price I was happy to pay. Sure the price of my one and only custom figure was dearer than my dearest HT figure but I knew that prior.

My new experience (I will not discuss individual prices on here) is to get a One's Customs Deborah's Son/Hobo Myers and the price I was quoted blew my previous dearest figure price away but I will not hold that against a customizer or in this case a guy like Stiff who I'm dealing with. The only thing that I gathered from Stiff is that he is not fond of HT figures and his preference is for high-end custom figures which is fine by me.

Basically the price has been set and it is up to me whether I want to pay it, no-one is holding a gun against my head to buy it. Also I would never ever buy a figure with the thought of 'what can I resell it for?' if I ever had to sell my collection then I would get what I could for them and I don't see this hobby as a 'spend money to make money' situation. I buy to please myself and to have a great representation of a character that I would like to display in my collection.

That is my two cents on the matter.

I just sold my old Ones Customs Hobo Myers on eBay and made a nice profit. So although I do agree that some hold their value better I think it just depends also on timing and who wants the character bad enough. Every figure I have resold that was a custom, I have always made a profit on but like others said, my intention was never to buy it to flip for value in the first place. A wise friend once told me "Collect what you like so you don't mind being stuck with it." So that's how I judge what I want to buy and not buy. If I like a character and want to buy it, I don't care who created it. If I end up needing money and can resell it for a nice price, that's the cherry on top for me.

I'm actually agreeing with you ShapeShifter. That comment was to set it straight that not all of this stuff is worth that type of money. Maybe 20% of it is Certifiable.....the other 80% is people pulling numbers out of there asses. That's what hurts the collectibility of this because it prices collectors out or hurts value for figures that really have earned those projections.

....and when we speak of value we're talking about what the figures were sold for at retail compared to what percentage of that price was invested in the actual development of the product in terms of supplies, material, time etc. You can assume with confidence that of the $800-$1000 dollars that guys like Rainman or Beto are charging, at least 45-50% of that was to cover the overhead cost of quality product. How many of these customizers who charge $800 for a figure actually invest at the very least 20% of that money towards the cost of producing the figure. It's time to have a honest discussion about how these things are moving.

I'm also a "function over fashion" type of person for lack of better words. But I must admit that while these collectables don't necessarily surve a function, they do have an incredible amount of charm and from my experienced have led to some great conversations with friends about similar movie interests, things from a different era, a great amount of nostalgia, and they're just really enjoyable to look at. In person people are rarely unimpressed with this stuff, it's visually very interesting.

Even though these figures hold some real artistic qualities, I agree with you 100% on the Picasso comparison. I was gonna comment on that but you beat me to it. Put it this way, the Picasso metaphor, not the best angle to take and a pretty poor sales pitch. :lol

Hey like I said to each is own, I spent $3500 on a Swiss arms black special rifle and that serves a purpose, I looks nice on the wall, I can take it out hunting or target shooting.....I'm just saying that there will never be a day where I spend $1000-$5000 on a doll that is just gonna sit there and look nice in a cabinet but serves no purpose other than to fill the empty holes of whatever makes one purchase a doll for that kind of money, I would just take a picture of it, cut it out and glue it onto a cardboard stand in 1/6 scale and bingo I just spent 14 cents instead of a what could have been a home renovation, if you got more money than you know what to do with all the power to you, I also think that using ones customs in the same lines as Picasso is a pretty bold statement and I understand you 2 are like Siegfried & Roy but let's be serious here for a min....I don't stick to just hot toys or any mass produced figures I buy what I like and that's what determines what's in my collection, but when it comes down to 1 figure that is limited or a detolf full of awesome characters I don't need to tell you who wins, anyways buy what you want with your money all the power to ya, if a $5000 art doll helps you sleep more or makes you get out of the house and interact with society then spend away

Last edited:
Back