What's your Star Wars canon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What truth do you cling to?

• Movies only

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Original trilogy only

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Movies + Clone Wars

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Original trilogy + Clone Wars

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Movies, Clone Wars + all EU

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Movies, Clone Wars + selected EU

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Original trilogy, Clone Wars + all EU

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Original trilogy, Clone Wars + selected EU

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
I grew up on OT so that's my bible. But I have mixed feelings about PT and hated EU for the longest time. I really wanted to like the PT but they were really bad. Its kind of a love hate thing for me. I love the character designs and that some are from the OT (Obi, Yoda, Palps) but the rest is hard to swallow. Sometimes I enjoy them other times I dispose them. Honestly I see PT as EU. Really unorganized, disconnected EU. I think I was just do desperate for more STAR WARS I told myself I liked it for a long time so some of that still lingers in my mind. I want to say I don't like it cause it's crap but I'm afraid to admit that maybe I do like it.

The best EU hands down has Luke Skywalker. That's real for me. Any story where Luke gets to kick some ass I'm all about.

CW is ok but hard to take seriously. '04 CW rocked.

Karen Travis's novels are great EU for anyone who has not delved into this realm.

I used to see SW through rose colored glasses. As if the OT was all I could see and that I was comfortable in my narrow view. Once I started reading EU I couldn't stop. Especially the audio books. Wow. They really come to life. Now I feel like I've taken my first step into a larger world. That the world of star wars is so vast I could never define or diminish it. If all we ever see is the screen then it's such a small window into the great universe we will be missing all that's out there. Don't limit yourself on one of the greatest adventures in history.

Voted OT only. I did enjoy some of the books years before the PT came out but it was so long ago I can barely remember anything from them.

I disregard the PT completely. I think TPM is an enjoyable adventure film and I can enjoy it as such because I find it easiest to disconnect it from Star Wars. I like some of the action in AOTC but I can honestly say I don't enjoy anything at all about ROTS, it is awful IMO. And as Clone Wars and a lot of EU draws extensively from the PT its all out the window far as I'm concerned.

Thats just me.
Good post man. :lol

That the world of star wars is so vast I could never define or diminish it. If all we ever see is the screen then it's such a small window into the great universe we will be missing all that's out there. Don't limit yourself on one of the greatest adventures in history.

I think it's silly to debate which fictional stories are "true."
Just enjoy the stories you enjoy, and ignore the rest.

I agree completely with this. Growing up on the original trilogy, I see those as the entrance into this grand universe that has been added to by Lucas and all the others who have written, filmed, drawn and programmed new stories into the SW world. I can pick the ones that I enjoy to be a part of it, and that is what makes SW so great; that everyone can collectively enjoy it but it is still personal. There is something so special about a fan base that can be limited or so expanded.

The movies. Even the poopy ones.

I'm not a PT fan, but like 'em or not they're canon. Nothing else really is, though.

Hell, I prefer KOTOR over the prequels, but it isn't canon. They are.

Now, if you ask what my favorite element of the saga is and what I feel is quintessential Star Wars then it's the unaltered Original Trilogy, hands-down. But ironically the unaltered OT films themselves are not even technically canon anymore since they've been retconned.

I call it my personal canon. Yes technically the PT is regrettably actual canon however I deliberately choose to live in my own dreamland where it is not.

The movies. Even the poopy ones.

I'm not a PT fan, but like 'em or not they're canon. Nothing else really is, though.

Hell, I prefer KOTOR over the prequels, but it isn't canon. They are.

Technically, anything that's not classed as N-canon (non-canon) by Lucasfilm can be considered canon, unless or until it conflicts with G-canon (George canon). That includes most videogames, novels, comics etc.

Now, if you ask what my favorite element of the saga is and what I feel is quintessential Star Wars then it's the unaltered Original Trilogy, hands-down. But ironically the unaltered OT films themselves are not even technically canon anymore since they've been retconned.

I'm one of the few fans who cuts George some slack with the special editions, because I know he was very limited in what he could do the first time round. The only bits that really annoy me are Greedo shooting first, and George flip-flopping on whether Luke screams as he plummets down the Cloud City shaft.

I’ll go with movies only. I lean more to the original trilogy era. That was I saw on VHS back on my early teens, so it has more sentimental value to me; the look and feel of the OT, no computer fx. Don’t get me wrong computer are a huge plus on today’s movies but sometimes they focus more on them than the story/plot.
The PT are what they are they have good parts and bad parts, but they are fun to watch and they are not going to be forgotten easily like let’s say ‘Highlander 2’ (what’s that? Yeah right)

Just my 2 cents

I get so tired of this argument.

I will always be an OT fan over PT. I grew up with OT. The PT isnt as well made, but it's GL's story and thats the way it is. back in the old days when there was no explanations for stuff and the West End games RPG changed that I lived by one rule and one rule only:

It's cannon until George says otherwise. I enjoy SW for what it is. Don't have the time or inclination to ***** about it.

I will always be an OT fan over PT. I grew up with OT. The PT isnt as well made, but it's GL's story and thats the way it is. back in the old days when there was no explanations for stuff and the West End games RPG changed that I lived by one rule and one rule only:

It's cannon until George says otherwise. I enjoy SW for what it is. Don't have the time or inclination to ***** about it.

If George would just make up his mind.

Lol

Seriously I like most things but just recently since cw it's just got so clunky and messed up

OT only, then I pick & choose of the rest, ie: Boba survived the Sarlacc & c3po was not made by Vader

Funny thing about the EU. It can improve some things. Like Anakin Building C-3p0 was retconned by the EU. He DIDN'T build him. He simply found the remains of an almost complete protocol droid skeleton inside watto's junk yard. he found it in a crate watto accuired as part of a massive purchase.
It was Something watto didn't know he had. so he Smuggled the droid out of watto's shop, piece by piece, and reassembled it at home. It takes a little under a year to get it to the point it's at in Phantom menace. He reassembles the droid, and gives it a memory wipe.

The micro series was infinitely better than the current series!!

Micro series still exists in-canon in parts. But it's now considered to be "propaganda films" made during the clone war.

I will say though, how they handle the future for Ashoka could change my opinion, if it doesn't work for me I may have to have two levels of canon

Calling it now. Ashoka dies. Assaj Kills her. Anakin flips out and kills assaj. Similar to the obi-wan, qui-gon, darth maul fight in Phantom menace. This serves to further push anakin over the edge.

I grew up on OT so that's my bible. But I have mixed feelings about PT and hated EU for the longest time. I really wanted to like the PT but they were really bad. Its kind of a love hate thing for me. I love the character designs and that some are from the OT (Obi, Yoda, Palps) but the rest is hard to swallow. Sometimes I enjoy them other times I dispose them. Honestly I see PT as EU. Really unorganized, disconnected EU. I think I was just do desperate for more STAR WARS I told myself I liked it for a long time so some of that still lingers in my mind. I want to say I don't like it cause it's crap but I'm afraid to admit that maybe I do like it.

The best EU hands down has Luke Skywalker. That's real for me. Any story where Luke gets to kick some ass I'm all about.

CW is ok but hard to take seriously. '04 CW rocked.

Karen Travis's novels are great EU for anyone who has not delved into this realm.

I used to see SW through rose colored glasses. As if the OT was all I could see and that I was comfortable in my narrow view. Once I started reading EU I couldn't stop. Especially the audio books. Wow. They really come to life. Now I feel like I've taken my first step into a larger world. That the world of star wars is so vast I could never define or diminish it. If all we ever see is the screen then it's such a small window into the great universe we will be missing all that's out there. Don't limit yourself on one of the greatest adventures in history.

My overall opinion of you just went up by alot. :duff

:clap:clap:clap

Back