What's Your Collection Focus?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main focus is Star Wars OT with a sprinkling of ST. I also have a dedicated Marvel shelf which will be finishing off shortly with Gamora. There's some childhood favourites with Marty, Indy, Ripley and Ghostbusters. Then there's a shelf with misc. figs. I HAVE to put the breaks on now as I just don't have room. Not to mention that the increasing prices are making it less enjoyable. Combine that with my increased involvement with the household budget and yeah, it's getting harder to justify those dollars. I love what I have though and I’ll be planning on Bespin Han (preordered Leia in Bespin gown), Lando and a couple more from ROTJ, whenever they get released.
View attachment 450400
a5af799142e9f3ba4f702992b887b985.jpg

Nice look what are the cases?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

[...]I am trying to limit to 2-3 figures of a single film, basically one Detolf “cube” for a great film or genre of film.[...]

Very cool, I'd thought of that strategy myself at one point, but one day when I was bored I started to list the genre films and television series that I found resonant or otherwise influential with characters I'd like on the shelf -- roughly covering science fiction, fantasy, spies and martial arts -- even if I count only one film per series I think the list is up to around 50 at the moment. :horror

We can't catalogue it all but I've certainly seen some people try. On the other hand you'd never be bored.

[...] have a few cubes open still, mainly because I have stayed clear of the MCU and new DCU. I am not that passionate about those figures so its ok with me. Although there are a few that are tempting me always.... [...]

As much as I love the MCU, I tend to prefer the earlier, smaller films. I'm as hyped for Endgame as anyone, but the figures I've collected have more of a classic vibe to them and I steer clear of the more recent cosmic stuff. It was the figures that reminded me of their comic counterparts I gravitated towards.

The only DCEU figure I had was Harley -- great figure, really popped on the shelf but her film was so forgettable I let that one go in favour of a tighter focus.

My girlfriend is only a casual fan but she's got a good eye, so she notices the flow and logic of my collection. When she can connect the dots I know I'm doing a good job of editing. Yes, the collection is just for me, but I like the idea that its communicating something to other people.

That I'm a giant geek yes, but other than that, my snapshot of pop-culture that matters to me and how it's connected.

I mainly collect OT figures only but I've debated on getting a few of the PT figures. Of course the limited space in my house and the increasing prices of these figures has put a damper on what I collect as well. I currently have two Detolf's dedicated to Star Wars figures and one Detolf dedicated to other movie franchises like Ironman, Deadpool, and Neo.

Great films.

Thats the jist of it.

I am trying to limit to 2-3 figures of a single film, basically one Detolf “cube” for a great film or genre of film.

SW is the only rule breaker here, and it gets 5 cubes straight across the center of the units.

Some other cube examples:

The Dark Knight trilogy.
Horror Film villains (WIP)
Ladies of Cinema
Adventurers (WIP)
The Watchmen
The Terminator
The Mad Max Trilogy
The Ghostbusters
Monsters of Cinema
Anti-Heros
Sci Fi
Back to the Future
History Films

I have a few cubes open still, mainly because I have stayed clear of the MCU and new DCU. I am not that passionate about those figures so its ok with me. Although there are a few that are tempting me always....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Do you have pics of your display anywhere?

Whatever I like I guess lol. All trilogies really, along with a pre order figure from Solo and Rogue One. And the shock trooper from Battlefront 2

For me its plenty of Dr jones! 1:6 + some environments, props, Pfs, statues, gear (costume) and the vintage kenner figures. The rest of the collection is OT SW, LotR, Hobbit, Dark Crystal,some key aliens or creatures ( Predator, Hellboy etc) and a pretty big focus on 007 figures including a dio. Its pretty crazy the stuff you can build up in a fairly short time:dunno

Star Wars wise: Mostly Sith and a couple other characters. Have more of a Kotor era focus than anything.

Non Star Wars: Build Gundams, Lord Of The Rings - both Asmus and a few Sideshow statues.

Have a couple Mezco figures and a couple random Hot Toys - Dr Strange, Neo, Celtic and Scar 2.0

Sold off about 200 figures between Sideshow/Black Series/Marvel Legends/Neca and dont miss most of them. My place seems less stuffed and I don’t feel as clausterphobic when I’m home.

Now? Pretty much nothing.

Before that, I bought what I wanted until money and boredom narrowed me down to modern 1:6 versions of OT Kenner figures and Gotham PF's. I only have a few Star Wars figures left on the list and I've lost interest in Sideshow's DC offerings.

Since my collecting waned, I've been building a dream bass rig. Almost done, so catching up on Star Wars may be in my future again.

When I started sideshow only made two figures from Star Wars lol
I was had to Star Wars and then dc and marvel 6incb and sideshow Star Wars
Then hot Toys. Then terminator and MCU. Then it got too big and too dear Now? OT and a little bit of Pt. a tiny bit of Lego- the ideas stuff and a lone custom of 2000ad rogue trooper
I still love the look of so much stuff but as so many have said it’s space and cost

Primarily Star Wars OT, a mix of Hot Toys, Sideshow PF, 1:1 props (helmets/busts) and scaled vehicles. There's s smatterung of 1/10 Kotobukiya that I display with some helmets. The only non Star Wars pieces I have are Enterbays Terminator and Rambo, and Hot Toys Neo. Space is starting to become an issue...!

I’m all over the place, but I have a mini-theme. I have Marvel/DC/SW figs, a Robocop and a Neo, but what I mostly want to collect are assassins/mercenaries. Winter Soldier Bucky is my favorite Marvel Character, so I have the WS, the CW versions, and the IW version on pre-order. I have a GI Joe Snake Eyes, an Arkham Knight/Red Hood, a SS Deadshot so far, and I’m thinking of getting John Wick, Ronin, and the Deadpool 2 Cable fig. Not sure about getting a Deadpool, though. Maybe I’ll try to get a Solid Snake as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/6 OT Star Wars and 1:1 scale Star Wars helmets / props.

Also autographs from OT actors.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I like to create my own “sets” for lack of a better term. For example, I have HT Anakin, so I must get Obi wan to complete that set. I’m trying to get all the various black Series troopers. I’m currently in the process of completing the ESB bounty hunter lineup in various scales (6 inch, 3.75 inch, lego minifigures, Funko pops). Stuff to that effect, other than individual figures here and there. I guess my focus is pretty sporadic lol

My focus is 1/6th OT Star Wars. Very simple.

As much as your collection is very wide-ranging and full of deep cuts, your focus has never (to my knowledge) wavered, and the result is pretty awesome.

As much as your collection is very wide-ranging and full of deep cuts, your focus has never (to my knowledge) wavered, and the result is pretty awesome.

I appreciate that, thanks.

I originally had all the Sideshow Clones, Jedi and a few customs. I soon realized that with all of my figures and Hot Toys announcing that they were picking up the Star Wars license in 2014, display space would be at a premium.

I sold off all my prequel stuff and began focusing on the original trilogy characters. I have not regretted it one bit.

I do have to admit that the new HT prequel offerings are very nice and I have been tempted to pick them up, but I have fought off that urge. I have zero interest in the sequels, so no problems there.

It all comes down to the fact that the originals are "My Star Wars". They are the movies I love. I would put Rogue One in that group as well. It fits in nicely with the originals.

The way I see it, there are enough characters from those movies alone to create/collect to last a lifetime. That's good enough for me.

:lecture i have done the same thing Chris as you did. i still dont regret selling them off as there would been no way i could display all of them it was way to much so the PT had to go it was tough at first (no it wasn`t ) so i did the same focused on the OT and the collection has grown over the years. i just got in the custom Wampa that GB has had going over the last 3 years and it`s amazing.

Back