What to do when over-work is causing health issues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinMay

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a friend who is about to send in her resignation letter. She has been sick for the past 2 weeks due to work. She said her work caused her sickness due to 12 hours a day, stress, pressure, etc.

I told her not to quit because she can't get unemployment. But, she can't take it anymore. And then I told her to look for something else before she quit...but not sure if she can survive another day.

One of my other friend who quit work 8 years ago, she got unemployment after appealing the case by saying she was being over-worked. I'm not sure if that is still acceptable and what needs to be done to qualify unemployment.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

The best thing I can suggest is having them talk to their bosses first.

I was in the same boat. I was being overworked and came really close to having a nervous breakdown, it was causing health problems as well. I spoke with my boss, he was understanding and we were able to distribute the work better.

If their bosses don't care about them (or at least pretend to), then they should leave regardless.

Thanks for the advice.

My suggestion was secured another job elsewhere and then quit. I have feeling that she is burnt out so much that she needs a break a month break. I know the project that she is working on so I understand the pressure to complete in a tight deadline schedule. I feel her pain, but I hope she makes the right decision.

I"m meeting with her for lunch to discuss, but I'll let her know about talking to her manager. If I recall, they are not going to be helpful in this economy when they are trying to cut cost and laid off people to save money.

Thanks again.

Any other suggestions out there?

It's a PM role.

It's a very high visibility project when your CEO and CIO of a 10 billion dollars company attend the meeting for status update. She told me that she got bunch of idiots not delivering their tasks, bozos who don't care about their jobs or complaining about being over-worked, etc.

She doesn't want to be a quitter because she takes her job seriously, but under her situation, she has no choice but to look elsewhere. She's going to take my advice and look for another opportunity.

I'm glad she is not just going to quit without thinking about the aftermath...

Again, thanks for everyone's suggestion...

i defn feel for your friend as im in the same boat, but even with her experience, its just not a good idea to quit without finding another job. my job has caused me tendonitis is both my knees, elbow, fingers, and i have gotten a cyst on my left wrist, and im only 22 workin at this place for 3yrs, so trust me, i know how she feels to hate your job so much. my suggestion is to take some time off, put some effort into finding another job. if shes willing to take less $ for another job, she prolly wont have any issues finding another job, but lets face it, companies are squeezing every ounce they can out of their workers, so now is not the time to break, just be patient. she needs to rest when she can, and just do other things out of work that she enjoys to do.........it could be worse, quitting will just be more stressful trying to find another job and struggling to do so. my 2cents

azurepred, thanks for the input.

During lunch today, she told me she cried last night. She had other friends who came to her and asked her to join their company several months ago, but she couldn't leave her current role because she thought it would make her reputation look bad.

She asked me how it feels to volunteer for a 6 months package vacation with unemployment paid. And I told her it's a great feeling to relax and not stress out every night about the phone ringing. I told her if she quits, then she won't have the 6 months luxury package like I did...so it'll be a different case for her. I mentioned to her that even though it's nice to stay home and relax, but I still have expenses to pay on a monthly basis. So, I need to start looking for employment eventually.

I do know millions would love to be in her position right now, but at the same time her health always comes first. She can talk to her boss to take some needed time off. Maybe have a doctor write a note due to stress related. A coworker did that while taking a paid leave and during that time when she was resting she looked for another job. I know how your friend feels because I was going through the same thing when I was being overworked not to mention a super long commute on top of it. I had no life at all. Just remember your health comes first.

Tell her to be thankful she actually has a job when millions are unemployed. ;)

no kiddin man.

No job is worth killing yourself over. I had a job years ago where I was actually throwing up before going in. I up and quit one day and didn't look back. Any one who has never been in that position doesn't know what it's like.

I would go in and talk to my boss to see if things could improve. If not, get out!

No job is worth killing yourself over. I had a job years ago where I was actually throwing up before going in. I up and quit one day and didn't look back. Any one who has never been in that position doesn't know what it's like.

I would go in and talk to my boss to see if things could improve. If not, get out!

Oh I hear what your saying, and I didn't intend to be insensitive. However, to just quit your job because you don't like it or makes you feel sick kinda bugs me. Then my tax dollars will likely pay for you to sit on your ass for a few months while others work hard who equally hate their job as much.

There are plenty of other options. Like take extended time off, see a therapist, find a hobby to take your mind off of things.

Last edited:
Oh I hear what your saying, and I didn't intend to be insensitive. However, to just quit your job because you don't like it or makes you feel sick kinda bugs me. Then my tax dollars will likely pay for you to sit on your ass for a few months while others work hard who equally hate their job as much.

There are plenty of other options. Like take extended time off, see a therapist, find a hobby to take your mind off of things.

A job is making someone feel physically sick and you're worried that a few of your pennies may end up going towards him (which is making the assumption that he's living paycheck to paycheck anyways or stays unemployed for an extended time) ? That's screwed up.

A job is making someone feel physically sick and you're worried that a few of your pennies may end up going towards him (which is making the assumption that he's living paycheck to paycheck anyways or stays unemployed for an extended time) ? That's screwed up.

Sorry I just don't understand it. :dunno It sounds more like a mental thing to me. In which case such person may have trouble confronting all sorts of issues when problems arise. I am simply saying that maybe it is not work and maybe said person should go talk to someone.

Again I don't mean to sound insensitive but here in the US many people milk the system just for the sake of doing so. I am not saying that is the case with this person. Just giving my two cents about the topic in general.

This is also why I am not a therapist. I would tell people to suck it up far too often. Direct result of being raised in a military family. :lol

Seriously though it sounds like she is going to go the other route and explore her options without just quitting and giving up. So good luck to her. :peace

Sorry I just don't understand it. :dunno It sounds more like a mental thing to me. In which case such person may have trouble confronting all sorts of issues when problems arise. I am simply saying that maybe it is not work and maybe said person should go talk to someone.

Again I don't mean to sound insensitive but here in the US many people milk the system just for the sake of doing so. I am not saying that is the case with this person. Just giving my two cents about the topic in general.

Oh, I'll admit it's entirely possible that it could be a mental health thing and talking to a therapist might help, but there's plenty of ^^^^ty and exploitive jobs that people get stuck with in the US (and obviously, everywhere in the world!) that they would be better off quitting.

I'm in Canada, we have far more relaxed rules (and increased benefits) for out of work people than you guys in the US have, and even then, if someone is physically sick from the thought of going to work, I'm fully supportive of them quitting and have no problem kicking in money from my income until they find something that doesn't make them want to vomit.

I figure in the long run, having people that won't snap and murder everyone in their workplace is probably best for the economy!

Back