What Licenses really need more exploration?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never. This topic has come up hundreds of times over the years, and it always devolves into someone's self-interested wish-list. Because most people cannot read well and are self-absorbed.

Ha ha! Nicely done.

If I worked in market research for one of these companies, I would seriously consider this place a goldmine for gauging customer's wants aside from the onslaught of CBM and Star Wars content.

Never. This topic has come up hundreds of times over the years, and it always devolves into someone's self-interested wish-list. Because most people cannot read well and are self-absorbed.

LOL , so far it?s been pretty good.

Still seeing a lot of Batman wants, and Terminator and Aliens. We have a lot of those.

But also seeing Jaws, Godfather, Matrix (Thad an iffy one now thanks to 3rd parties) Diehard, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also tend to believe we on this forum are not the target HT audience. They are very much engaged in the OCD fandoms of MCU and SW. it?s been what sells obviously.

Let?s take a quick check on that in this thread?

Who here owns MCU or SW characters? Are there any other licenses that your have MORE figures of?

MCU may slightly tip the scale more that SW in my collection, which is probably 70% of what is in my collection. My self interest, however, is towards more esoteric robots like Pew Pew Gun

I also tend to believe we on this forum are not the target HT audience. They are very much engaged in the OCD fandoms of MCU and SW. it?s been what sells obviously.

Who here owns MCU or SW characters? Are there any other licenses that your have MORE figures of?

I love Star Wars and the MCU but the collection was literally getting out of hand...especially having to keep up with every new Hawkeye or each new Storm Trooper.

As much as I love those franchises I decided to sell off all of my MCU and Star Wars figures (except for the DX07 since it?s from a different era before HT had the license) and focus my collection on great films that I love outside of Star Wars and the MCU.

So now my shelves are quality over quantity with Robocop, Terminator, LOTR, Batman 89, Nolan Batman, Ghostbusters, and others and I find collecting to be less exhausting and my pieces feel more exclusive.

Buying MCU and Star Wars Hot Toys was starting to feel too much like shopping for my kids in the toy aisle at Target.

I collect way too much but also build tons of customs:
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Jaws
Bond
Batman
Mad Max
Alien
Terminator
Predator
Die Hard
Matrix
Pirates
LOTR
Game of Thrones
MCU

LOL , so far it?s been pretty good.

Still seeing a lot of Batman wants, and Terminator and Aliens. We have a lot of those.

But also seeing Jaws, Godfather, Matrix (Thad an iffy one now thanks to 3rd parties) Diehard, etc etc

The point of the thread was to discuss lines that had been abandoned, not lines that had never been done.

Really the only ones that would qualify would be ones like Watchmen, Platoon, or Star Trek, but again all the lines that were abandoned had reasons, whether it be poor sales, or licensing/likeness rights. Companies don't just drop licenses because the boss had a bad day.

Most people here still have a fundamental lack of knowledge about how the industry actually operates. They just assume that since a company has the license for a property they can do whatever they want, which is not the case, at all.

Even considering the topic that was supposed to be "a twist on the normal wish-list thread", there's still nothing to discuss. We've endlessly bashed Hot Toys and QMx for dropping lines, what else is there to say at this point?

It?s worth thinking about releases that were clearly always intended to be a single figure release with a line obviously never having been part of the plan. Not abandoned but never even planned.
For me the biggest one always comes down to The Godfather...McFarlane in 1/12, Sideshow, Hot Toys, Blitzway, and now Dam Toys have all produced Vito and I am certain that that was all they ever wanted to do.
It would have been amazing to have Vito share a shelf with 1/6 Sonny, Michael, Fredo, and Tom Hagen.

My biggest ones.

BW Tyler but no narrator.
No Jaws at all.
BTTF 1 Doc
Pinhead but no other Cenobites
Bill the Butcher no Amsterdam

I don't own anything Star Wars anymore, and only ever had a handful in to begin with.

The MCU line (and unlicensed/customs related to it) has been one of my staples for years now. It's as big as it is because I love several of the characters, but I'm still only one figure per character with the exception of Loki, and there are characters I've passed on altogether or haven't brought myself to spend the money on because I'm not into them enough for the amount they cost.

I have other "smaller' license collections, but my anime related collection is bigger than my MCU one.

Do Gundam model kits count? Those were the only ones we collected (and built) before. We do have more of those than MCU.

I just got into collecting action figures in October. I probably wouldn't even have started if the Infinity Saga was still ongoing and we were free to go to movie theaters and stuff.

Mind, I honestly don't think I'll have more figures from other franchises than I'll have for MCU. My wants are pretty fixed. Meanwhile, A1 alone is 7 figures already including Loki.

Nolanverse
Batman (Batman Begins)
Batman (The Dark Knight, already PO DX19)
Joker
Catwoman
Ra's al Ghul (Mars Toys version is good enough for me)
Alfred Pennyworth

Burtonverse
Batman
Joker
Catwoman
Penguin

The Matrix
Neo
Trinity
Morpheus
Agent Smith

I don't own a single SW figure. That's a rabbit hole I don't want to and can't afford to get into.

I would have liked to see more licensed MGS figures, especially Solid Snake. Im a sucker for anything MGS.

Although previously done by Hot Toys back in the day a 2.0 Hicks from Aliens, maybe even Hudson would be a must buy for me.

I would have liked a Kyle Reese in the trench coat and Nikes. A T1 Sarah Connor too.

Original Mad Max, Road Warrior or Thunderdome Max really boggles my mind why no one has licensed it yet.

Musicians! Something other than Elvis would be cool.

Finally, Im really surprised theres not more licensed Indy figures. There was the DX Hot Toys figure back in the day but I wish they did more with that line.

Highlander Movies and TV series

Star Trek

I think Sideshow did most of the Universal Monsters back in the day, but I'd love to see them revisited and updated. Maybe get a proper Kharis.

I'm truly surprised that they have not been revisited. Unsure if it is a licensing issue but would love to see an updated version of the line. Unfortunately, I doubt that even if Hot Toys were to revisit the Colonial Marines, that we would get more than Hicks, Hudson, Vazquez and Ripley. (if that...)

I'm truly surprised that they have not been revisited. Unsure if it is a licensing issue but would love to see an updated version of the line. Unfortunately, I doubt that even if Hot Toys were to revisit the Colonial Marines, that we would get more than Hicks, Hudson, Vazquez and Ripley. (if that...)

Yes, it's a licensing issue. NECA had to negotiate with each actor to make their figures.

Back