What Licenses really need more exploration?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having my own array of customs, I actually forgot just how little we've gotten from Indiana Jones. The DX05 was literally HT's worst DX... and most of the leather goods in that set have crumbled to dust. And sadly that is the definitive Indy figure. Sideshow's Toht and Belloq were a joy at the time and I'm amazed they got made but they don't hold up well. Unfortunately, there is little interest in the world of Indiana Jones beyond its lead.

There a many lines that Hot Toys should consider revisiting and/or completing. Many already listed previously in this thread. (Alien(s), Terminator(s), The Matrix, Predator, Avatar, etc...)

Definitely Indiana Jones!!

I have mixed feelings about new licenses. Not getting a complete line (see "The Matrix") would be doubly frustrating, but here goes:

- "Edge of Tomorrow" (Cage and Rita in battle suits)

- "Mad Max/Road Warrior" - original films (Different "Max" versions plus some really interesting characters to chose from each film.)

- "The Martian" (Watney in space suit is enough for me.)

- "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (Main cast and undersea suits. too cool)

- "Galaxy Quest" (How cool would this be?)

- "Interstellar" (Cooper in space suit is enough for me.)

- "E.T." (ET and Eliott with bike.)

- "The Thing" (MacCready and alien dog/man... thing.)

I think it?s safe to say Terminator and Batman really should be left off the list. While certain films have not gotten a good treatment, the license itself has been done to death by the major producers. I would also call Aliens off the table as we have gotten plenty of fog tea from that license , again Albigensian less than stellar.

Matrix is a good one, although it?s getting third party love.

Up until recently Halloween was a great example.

Jaws

Godfather (also being addressed)

Back to the Future? (That one is on the fence)

Dawn of the Dead

Day of the Dead.

Hellraiser

Mad Max ( old version)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conan (films, books, anything)

Matrix

Aliens 2.0

Masters of the Universe (in high-end style)

Jurassic Park / The Lost World

As evidenced by my list above (which, per the thread parameters, doesn't include MCU or Star Wars) Hot Toys still has a ways to go with the licenses they already have. I also forgot to include Indiana Jones, TRON and updated Rocky.

However, if we're talking about new licenses, I'd add:
  • The Fifth Element
  • Blade Runner
  • Big Trouble in Little China
  • Coming to America
  • Tombstone
  • Interview with the Vampire
  • The Abyss
  • Classic Universal Monsters
  • Comic accurate Marvel
  • Comic accurate DC

Given HT's long production cycle, ever increasing prices, incomplete lines, and heavy focus on main sellers, I'd actually prefer to see two or three other companies pick up those licenses. I've been quite satisfied with a number of figures from producers like Blitzway, Asmus and ThreeZero, as well as unlicensed producers like Toys Era and SooSoo. Most are still a slot or two below Hot Toys, but they're also $50- $100 cheaper and don't take 2-3 years from solicitation to in hand.

I think Hot Toys hangs on to licenses like Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Rocky, Matrix, Indiana Jones, Tron and others to keep other competitors out of the market. Carrying those licenses must cost them something every year, and clearly there's no requirement to produce a minimum number of figures. Which is weird because often times licensors will ask for a certain dollar amount plus a percentage of sales. For example let's say the Terminator license is $100,000/year plus 10% of sales after the first 1,000 units (round numbers for the sake of argument). So if Hot Toys sells say 5,000 Terminator T-800 chrome diecast endos @ $400/each, the licensor makes $260,000 ($100K fee + $160K sales).

Of course there are all types of contracts. Hot Toys might have signed a multi-year contract up front, fulfilled the minimum requirements after a few figures, and just continues sitting on the licenses. Or if these are renewable licenses (annually or every 3, 5 years) maybe licensors give them the option between fee+sales or flat fee, and HT just opts for the latter. Even if that is the case, I don't know why they don't subcontract those licenses out to smaller companies to generate revenue, keep licensors happy, and keep their collectors happy. I'm sure Hot Toys could easily structure a low risk/high reward subcontracting deal with a couple of small, hungry producers. I suppose they either believe it would cannibalize sales from the other lines or they don't want to clog up the manufacturing supply chain.

My first HT figures where T1 Noir, T-1000, Berserker back then they were $170 CAN. If you asked me the question then I would have a long list. Today I have to question what I would spend $400 Canadian on. With that in mind my entire list is wiped out leaving only BATMAN RETURNS Penguin. And that also is dependant on what the figure looks like and whats included. My eye has also turned to DAM TOYS Golden Godfather. Although I have no idea or knowledge of the company

Blitzway obviously should have given us the Narrator to go with Durden, especially before giving us 2 Durdens (though I love both figures) they should have also made Marla. All 3 characters on the shelf would have been excellent.
Batman 66 goes without saying. We should have got the ENTIRE Rogue?s Gallery. The Romero Joker prototype that they teased us with was just rubbing salt in the wound.
I would have loved to have seen KA Kim?s take on Clarence Boddicker, Anne Lewis, and **** Jones to go with my beloved Robocop figures. Can you imagine how awesome it would have been to pose a 1/6 **** Jones in front of ED-209?

Saturday Toys made an unofficial one years ago.

MEN_SUIT_GREY1.jpg

I managed to to pick up the head loose and teamed it with a Toys city grey suit. It still looks pretty good even by current standards.

dickjones.jpg

I would have loved a Murphy / Lewis 2 pack.

Movies: Blade Runner, Alien, Cobra, The Shadow, Escape from New York/L.A.
Video Games: Deus Ex (specifically JC Denton and Adam Jensen), Observer: System Redux, Bloodborne (Gascoigne, old hunters etc.)
Literature: Solomon Kane, Conan the Barbarian, Elric of Melnibon?, Ahab, and anything H.P. Lovedraft related.

Back