What is going on? eBay Hot Toys scams!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that a few of these listing are shipping from America. Whoever buys one of these should get them quick.

Be aware of this. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I got burned with a hot toys preorder a couple of years back. the price was awesome. too awesome. communication was good so absolutely no warning signs. as soon as the 90 days passed (thats how it used to be) the seller vanished. account deactivated. £150 gone.

*****kers.

JR

What used to be 90 days? Ebay and PayPal have never covered that long out. I sued ebay years ago (like ten years ago or something like that) and it has never been that long. 45 days to open a case was the old rule. From auction close.

If you where talking about something else being 90 days, my bad.

What used to be 90 days? Ebay and PayPal have never covered that long out. I sued ebay years ago (like ten years ago or something like that) and it has never been that long. 45 days to open a case was the old rule. From auction close.

If you where talking about something else being 90 days, my bad.

U.K...
You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment

Wow haven't come across this yet but I would be super wary of $50-100 New HT from overseas :ohbfrank: I look forward to seeing what people get that did order

for those of u wondering, it IS infact a scam.

im fairly new as u can tell, & I decided to gamble w/ $100 extra I had just to see if I could get an iron man that cheap. turns out this one only ONE of the hacked accounts. I knew id be protected by eBays buyer protection anyway, so why not. waited some days over a week after my shipping confirmation(it was "shipped" from US priority, no tracking # though). after that I was skeptical & filed a claim. they give the seller a certain amount of days to respond to the claim(maybe 10 if I remember correctly) & around 2 weeks later, got my $100 back & set it towards a thor I needed. the fact that the seller never responded to argue a dispute over $100 for something that was "confirmed to be shipped" just shows me it was a hacked account. so long story short, it IS a scam. Im living proof. learn from my mistakes, guys! :p

You sued eBay..........wow.......how did that turn out?

It was a mess. But the new policy changes and higher buyer protections where part of the result. I ended up losing and winning. I didn't get my money back from them, though someone went to jail eventually, but they agreed to a huge policy shift. It's why new sellers can't withdraw funds and why the star rating system was implemented. I ended up having to go after the other party in the deal to get money/goods returned (I was the seller). But eventually I got it. I wrote the story a month or two back on here.

Thanks guy for the tip. Sucks for me. Well, i tried calling ebay customer service but the item i won hot toys die cast war machine mark 2 for 205$. Paid on dec. 27. Estimate delivery is feb 27... But can't open a claim yet. I don't know if paypal can help then. Hoping to get my money back. It's just unfair for us to earn our hard work and be scammed. I for me, if i see a good deal its really tempting also. But at the end of the day, it's all a learning lesson for me.

If it goes past 35 or is it 45 days I believe your screwed bro. That is why they put the delivery window past time to file a claim.

Yea sorry. I didn't actually write the rules. It was legal team, a judge, ect. It was just because the old ones where so easy to scam. But sorry anyway. Lol

If it goes past 35 or is it 45 days I believe your screwed bro. That is why they put the delivery window past time to file a claim.

Tried calling ebay customer service onthe 21st. They are issuing me a refund and they blocked the seller. I got the notice from ebay for the money the seller has scammed but the customer suppport told me to wait 24-48 hrs if the money goes through my paypal account. I am still awaiting to get the other refund (hopefully) on the 26 to file the second claim.

Btw. THANK YOU MOTUXMEN. YOU'VE BEEN A GREAT HELP SIR. Will keep you posted once i really got my money back.

You are very welcome. I hope things go fast and you get your money back soon. If u or anyone else needs any more help let me know.

Yea it happens. If you even have a question or a funny feeling I'd always ask for a photo of in hand item with a piece of paper with some word u pick hand written. Ebays policy states that the item needs to be in hand witching a certain period. If it's not a preorder then anyone selling hot toys should either have it in hand or they shouldn't be selling(outside of extreme cases). As you either have it, or don't know when you will have it, because of how hot toys works and the distribution network.

Taking a chance on an auction you think is probably a scam also encourages the scammers to continue. Yes you may get your money back. But it's entirely possible that the scammer didn't pay it back and it was ebay/paypal covering the costs. Which will lead to higher fees and more restrictions. And more scammers. If they can do it with no repercussions and people keep buying then they keep trying. It's like those Nigerian lotto scams. If no one ever fell for an obviously idiotic scam they would stop. If you honestly got scammed that's one thing. But if you go in expecting it to be a scam and someone else to pay you back...that's just not a good idea. It just keeps the cycle going. I'm not trying to to bust anyone's ping pong balls but that's just how it works.

I will probably get screwed for a couple of dollars in fees in the future. But if I can screw you today for a few hundred, Ill do it :)

I'm not trying to be preachy or a jerk so remember that.....

Yea maybe it's just fees or a couple bucks. But maybe they say screw it, no more buyer protection. Or if you want buyer protection you have to pay 30 bucks a month or something. My point before, and now, is that eventually they will stop giving money away. And that if you know it's a scam and do it anyway (or expect it's a scam strongly) then essentially your scamming ebay. The whole, as long as I get mine mentality. I know, I know, it's not exactly the same as the idiot trying to fleece folks. But everyone has a reason they do things. Your expecting someone else to pay for you to gamble. And cover your losses if there are any. Right now it's ebay. But it very well could be me or you, or you next time. And your giving the scammers exactly what they want. Again, to be clear, I get the reason you take the risk. I'm just asking you think about the other sides I've brought up. If you think it's a scam, I would ask you report the listing or leave it be, not gamble with someone else's money. If you take that risk and you don't file a claim becuase you gambled, you knew the risks and thought it was worth it, great. But if you do it expecting ebay to cover your money I would ask you to probably not. I can't do anything either way. And if I see a listing that looks funky I report it. You do what you want. But consider that if people stop helping the scammers, maybe we can actually find the real deals.

I'm taking a chance on these, ordered a Thor and Robocop. The guy has good feedback. Only thing I see bad is import fees. What do you guys think? Too good to be true? Or did I just get SCAMMED! LOL.

hai2282012 | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back