What is going on? eBay Hot Toys scams!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like people come to brag about getting scammed. Why not ask these questions before you commit to buy. I know why, your gambling with someone else's money. If you did not have buyer protection financed by other people, would you still bid? My guess is most of the time no.

They don't always get the money out, but the averages are pretty high actually. they can usually get 30-60% of the auctions that are paid money out before any red flags go up. But sometimes it's 100%. The average is low because they get cocky and don't even bother building up accounts after awhile. But once they have an account for a set period and build up feedback to 20-100 those people will get nearly all the money out. Because by the time you can file a claim it's to late. But if someone reports the auction as a scam and talks to ebay that sometimes changes. I flag every auction I see thats a scam. Which is why they end up getting their account suspended before you can file a claim.

But if your gonna take these chances, and suspect enough that it's a scam to post about it being a scam then you really shouldn't be doing it, nor risk other people's money. As I have said, eventually ebays going to get feed up of paying for people to gamble their money away..because remember if the scammer gets that money out ebay still has to pay you, so ebay is out that money not you..and when they get feed up they may cancel buyer protection altogether or make you sign up for a monthly membership, to buy and sell, or carry a form of insurance you pay for if you want buyer protection, and then if you make a claim just like with auto insurance they can cancel your policy and then your sol...anything like this can happen. People need to think BEFORE they buy not after.

So I just won a war Machine mark 2 for $150 in a one day auction. The guy selling them had about 5 for sale. Along with 5 die cast mark 3s.

The account shows that the guy was selling scarves before that. So if the sellers account was hacked how does the scammer get paid since the funds to into the hacked seller's acct? Unless they hacked both the eBay and PP accts.?

Oh **** me. You deserve to not get your money back.

I thought it was somewhat obvious in my posting that I didn't pay him. But thanks for the kind words. Classic SSF response.

Nowhere in your post do you make it obvious you didn't pay the seller. All you said is that you won the auction with a bid of $150.

You're right. But My point is not whether i paid him. My point is the response ppl on this forum make to certain situations. here, being the potential victim of fraud. "You don't deserve your money back", the implication being I'm so dumb, I don't deserve my money back.

I frequent other forums (activities, car brand, 1/6 specific) and only on this site do many ppl (not all obviously) post those kind of comments. Maybe I'm new to eBay. Maybe I'm new to figure collecting. Maybe I'm new to hot toys. Thousand reasons why I might have paid him. But none of those get a much consideration. At least not that I read. It's a lot more fun to lob insults.
but if I were new to this stuff certain comments might make me think twice before participating on this site.

I got an invoice from the seller this morning. I asked a bunch of questions to which I have yet to receive a response.

You're right. But My point is not whether i paid him. My point is the response ppl on this forum make to certain situations. here, being the potential victim of fraud. "You don't deserve your money back", the implication being I'm so dumb, I don't deserve my money back.

I frequent other forums (activities, car brand, 1/6 specific) and only on this site do many ppl (not all obviously) post those kind of comments. Maybe I'm new to eBay. Maybe I'm new to figure collecting. Maybe I'm new to hot toys. Thousand reasons why I might have paid him. But none of those get a much consideration. At least not that I read. It's a lot more fun to lob insults.
but if I were new to this stuff certain comments might make me think twice before participating on this site.
I don't think anyone implied that you're dumb. In fact you stated that you researched the seller and all of the SCAM signs were there.
Yet...you still bid, knowing that you would probably be wasting ebay/paypal's time & resources on you, rather than people who really need it. So when someone says you don't deserve your money back, it's because you knew EXACTLY what you were getting yourself into. Bidding on these auctions serve NO purpose but to feed the scum that are preying on the less informed. And these type of listings have become rampant!!!

So...let's all wise up...and cut it out!

I also don't believe the response to you was a "typical" negative one from the freaks forum. Since 2007, I've never called anyone here a name, put them down, or been downright negative.
...but the things some people have posted in this thread, detailing their actions, make me want to change that. I'll continue to refrain and act in a mature (as much as a Grown Dolly Collector Man can) manner.

Did you read the part where I wrote I didn't pay him? If I don't pay him how do I open a complaint? If I don't open a complaint how do waste eBay and paypal's precious resources?

he probably did save them time & resources when the other winner would of probably paid him. :goodpost:

Did you read the part where I wrote I didn't pay him? If I don't pay him how do I open a complaint? If I don't open a complaint how do waste eBay and paypal's precious resources?
Depending on how far this Scammer is willing to go, they could file a "non-paying bidder" report against you. If you don't pay, that could (I believe) lead to a strike against your account. More crap to deal with if that happens.
I think there are collectors on here that do know the facts, but (misguidedly) hope that this is the one auction that they will find that amazing deal.
This thread AND the collecting community would better be served by people coming on here, listing the bad auctions/sellers, rather than forum members bidding on auctions when they know better...and telling the tale.
If I willingly walk into a Lion's den (look at the cute kitty!)...I'm not a victim.

Depending on how far this Scammer is willing to go, they could file a "non-paying bidder" report against you. If you don't pay, that could (I believe) lead to a strike against your account. More crap to deal with if that happens.
I think there are collectors on here that do know the facts, but (misguidedly) hope that this is the one auction that they will find that amazing deal.
This thread AND the collecting community would better be served by people coming on here, listing the bad auctions/sellers, rather than forum members bidding on auctions when they know better...and telling the tale.
If I willingly walk into a Lion's den (look at the cute kitty!)...I'm not a victim.

:exactly:

And how likely is that? I've asked for several types of verification- shipping methods, tracking, estimated time of delivery, an actual picture of the product. I've never gotten a reply. You think ebay's going to pissed at me for trying to verify a sale?

The more likely scenario is that the scammer wants to minimize his exposure using the stolen account. This guy wants to get want he can and run. The longer he plays games the more likely he'll be tracked down. It's not in his interest to do try to put a strike on my acct. even if he could.

And how likely is that? I've asked for several types of verification- shipping methods, tracking, estimated time of delivery, an actual picture of the product. I've never gotten a reply. You think ebay's going to pissed at me for trying to verify a sale?

The more likely scenario is that the scammer wants to minimize his exposure using the stolen account. This guy wants to get want he can and run. The longer he plays games the more likely he'll be tracked down. It's not in his interest to do try to put a strike on my acct. even if he could.

Point is, why get involved by bidding, in the first place?.. rather than just reporting the scam auction to eBay?

Yeah, no offense to Ali, but why he'd want to waste his time in a tit for tat game with the scammer is beyond me. /shrugs

The problem for eBay is that people deliberately bidding on scam auctions, with no intention of paying, as some kind of vigilante action, actually muddies the waters.. because eBay has to investigate who is telling the truth.. the 'scammer' or the non-paying vigilante.

This diverts resources away from dealing with the open and shut cases of scams.. and also helps scammers present themselves as 'victims' of non-payment.. not to mention, that as with any vigilante activity, there is a strong possibility that the vigilantes will not do due diligence in their research, resulting in honest sellers getting targeted by vigilante non-payers.

There's no risk in bidding. Maybe you stumble upon a great deal. It's happened before. Rarely.

But the risk is in the paying. He doesn't verify, oh well. i did it cuz the whole thing took 5 mins of my time and costs me nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back