What do you want from the next generation of consoles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meaning You can pause the game and go elsewhere and do other stuff while that game stays open,

Id love that. a "pause game" option like on the PSP. Im gonna talk about the PS4.

- everything on PS3 currently to be standard on the PS4 ( also backwards-compatability!)

- I want a good(fast) browser!

- more file support, like Divx etc..

- streaming games through cloud is cool( but not everyone has amazing internet connection.)

- "Holy Crap" graphics, and huuuuge RAM

- Amazing games

swapping out simple plug-and-play conponents each year would be better for graphics and especially the need to upgrade to a full new console.

while this is a cool idea, it'll never happen.

Rumor has it 360 is not booked to change until 2015. You probably wont even see any images until 2013. The day you have to start updating your consoles every year to play the newest games is the day I stop playing. If you want that kind of customization, go PC. For the rest of us, I only want to upgrade every few years. Even that is pushing it.....

It was actually claimed that the new 360 hardware was running at E3 with the new timesplitters and that they are to showcase it at E3 2012. when the 360 was first showcased at E3, it was launched the following November so with that in mind, I wouldn't be supprised if one was to launch late 2012. Add the fact that the new game engines are alot more advanced ( frosbite 2, cry enhine 3 ect ) you could see a new x box quite soon. Sony also confirmed the ps4 is in develpment and getting near its halfway stage.

In terms of what id like to see, upgradable consoles would be awesome.
Games that run purely off the harddrive is a must.
Id love the idea of a user friendly motion interface where no pad/ remote was required.
If the graphics can get up to what is usually showcased as a trailer ie gears of war advert... Id be well happy.

Others have already expressed my thoughts, but I'll throw my two cents in.

Up to date doesn't exist for consoles so they can only do the best they can in that department. Just go as big and bad as possible.

MS has always had the right idea and made the Xbox a PC in a small box. Sony should follow that line of thinking. The complicated designs of the past consoles has always bitten them in the a$$ and they need to come up with something that doesn't need to be figured out by developers.

I guess for me, more powerful versions of what we have now would be fine.

Others have already expressed my thoughts, but I'll throw my two cents in.

Up to date doesn't exist for consoles so they can only do the best they can in that department. Just go as big and bad as possible.

MS has always had the right idea and made the Xbox a PC in a small box. Sony should follow that line of thinking. The complicated designs of the past consoles has always bitten them in the a$$ and they need to come up with something that doesn't need to be figured out by developers.

I guess for me, more powerful versions of what we have now would be fine.

I agree that In hindsight Sony shouldn't have used the cell processor in the PS3. At the time I'm sure they thought all the publishers would jump on board and it would push MS out of the market. This time around Sony might be more likely to use more standard hardware.

As far as how powerfull can we expect the next gen consoles to be? I would say nothing better than what $500 will get you in a PC today, maybe even less. If the rumors are all true and we will see PS4, and Xbox 720 in 2012, then I would expect them to be using 2010 tech. Again, $500 worth of 2010 tech. It's just the nature of consoles, they are outdated before they even hit the shelves.

It would be great if Sony and MS would attempt to future proof their consoles by allowing upgrades for memory, graphics, and processing. There is no reason they can't, so the question is why don't they want to?

I for one think that the next generation of consoles should be designed to be upgradable.

Lets say the PS3 for example, having the processor and other tech stuff be easily accessed and updated with new ones would go a long way to increase the lifetime of being cutting edge.

Imagine that the console had a lifespan of 7 years + and each year or every second year Sony released a new processor to be plugged in to upgrade each aspect of the console.

If I wanted to deal with all that nonsense, I'd just get into computer gaming.

I also think that upgradable consoles would be nice, but might start running into issues like will my console run this game etc, might be a nightmare for grannies buying games at christmas.

If I wanted to deal with all that nonsense, I'd just get into computer gaming.

I also think that upgradable consoles would be nice, but might start running into issues like will my console run this game etc, might be a nightmare for grannies buying games at christmas.

This is why I no longer build PCs for gaming. Got tired of that stuff back in the day, but I do love Sony's concept of the harddrive. I have two PS3s in the house--1 with a 500gb drive and the other with a 250gb drive that I bought for pocket change during Black Friday sales.

If changing hardware components was as easy as 'unplug it and plug in the new one' would you guys be more acceoting of that.

Computer upgrades is very daunting and confusing to alot of people, myself including.

But i updraded my PS3 hard drive, all i did was slide out the old one, unscrew it, screw in the new one and slide it back, simple. If a console could be kept as cutting edge as possible with one new conponent per year and accessible, it would increase a console life-span

I don't want that, because that is what plagues PC gaming.

I am a die hard PC gamer but consoles are so much easier to deal with.

Give me a keyboard and mouse support and I am done with PC gaming.

If changing hardware components was as easy as 'unplug it and plug in the new one' would you guys be more acceoting of that.

Computer upgrades is very daunting and confusing to alot of people, myself including.

But i updraded my PS3 hard drive, all i did was slide out the old one, unscrew it, screw in the new one and slide it back, simple. If a console could be kept as cutting edge as possible with one new conponent per year and accessible, it would increase a console life-span

That's actually how you upgrade PC parts. but the issue is the software and drivers.

I think it's entirely possible for components to be easily swapped in and out. Believe it or not it's not much more complicated then that for pc parts.

Aside from graphics chips, nothing else would really require yearly upgrading. I think Sony and MS could easily double the lifespan of their consoles, and gain an edge over the competition in doing so.

They need to be able to actually work without dying or having a life expectancy of a 1-3 years.

Here is the problem with at least the xbox. The design for the design is ____ed. The xbox 360 is designed to be a entertainment system, not just for video games, it is for using the internet, watching movies, watching netflix, and all that. That is what the xbox was desigend for, but the physical design doesn't allow it to be used that way without overheating, they die on a regular basis around the world. I just bought my third Xbox 360 (kinect) and once l get a blue-ray player soon l will never watch movies on my Xbox again, l wil use it only for games because if it runs for too long they just over heat and leads to it dying in the future, but it's not iintended just for games, but by doing that Xboxes will work a lot longer.

I read the next Xbox playing games will be only like 40% of what people use it for. Well if they ____ up on the physical design and those Xboxes are on all the time for all your entertainment needs get ready for them to die again.

So to sum it up l want a designed Xbox that can handle being on for long periods without over heating (they need to make them bigger again) all these cool looking little slim consoles allow no airflow and everything is cramed in there with no breathing room so they over heat. This was happening because of the physical design of the xboox 360 shell, it didn't allow for the components to breath. If the next Xbox has a blue-ray player in it, screw it l will watch on a blue-ray player, l don't trust the systems, it is just more hours on the system when l can just use a blue-ray player intead. These systems seem to have a health bar and watching movies on them all the time seems to just slowly chips away at that heath bar.

I just want to be happy with the next era of consoles, l am pissed at Microsoft. It's better for them though, instead of everyone buying only one console and that's it, they die and they need another one, so Microosoft will double or triple their profits selling these crappy designed Xbox 360s instead of a solid well designed systems. This had better not be the case in the next era or l will rethink everything.

On the next Xbox I want to be able to play my 360 games on the console and I would like to see achievements that are unlocked for the next gen games count towards current gamerscore.

Consoles should have a minimum 3 year warranty

____ing rights.:lecture. I say if Xbox is sending out bad consoles and they have short life expectancy they should be raising their factory warranty, it's the least they could do. My kinect Xbox l just bought l had to spring an extra $60 for an extra year warranty, just in case. I have never done that before and wasn't sure how good those kinects were.

The PS3 and 360 are approaching their last year or two, so what does the next generqtion of console need to be the best.

This isn't a discussion for one brand but general advances for the tech and market.

I for one think that the next generation of consoles should be designed to be upgradable.

Lets say the PS3 for example, having the processor and other tech stuff be easily accessed and updated with new ones would go a long way to increase the lifetime of being cutting edge.

Imagine that the console had a lifespan of 7 years + and each year or every second year Sony released a new processor to be plugged in to upgrade each aspect of the console.

Alternativley having a server based console where the power comes from elsewhere and streams the games to the reciever console in the home.

I'm not particulary tech savvy, but the jist of what i'm saying is that the graphics and so forth should be able to keep upto the best as possible.

Other things like Digital-based games and motion controls will likely play a factor.

Ideally i'd like Sony and Microsoft to become a joint venture for gaming to end the stupid console wars.

What do you guys think should happen for the next generation?

they have about 3-4 more years of life left b4 a new console comes out. game developers still haven't used the PS3 full capabilities yet. I think ps3 have a lot of graphical power that's not been used yet.

Last edited:
Back