What do you want from the next generation of consoles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
The PS3 and 360 are approaching their last year or two, so what does the next generqtion of console need to be the best.

This isn't a discussion for one brand but general advances for the tech and market.

I for one think that the next generation of consoles should be designed to be upgradable.

Lets say the PS3 for example, having the processor and other tech stuff be easily accessed and updated with new ones would go a long way to increase the lifetime of being cutting edge.

Imagine that the console had a lifespan of 7 years + and each year or every second year Sony released a new processor to be plugged in to upgrade each aspect of the console.

Alternativley having a server based console where the power comes from elsewhere and streams the games to the reciever console in the home.

I'm not particulary tech savvy, but the jist of what i'm saying is that the graphics and so forth should be able to keep upto the best as possible.

Other things like Digital-based games and motion controls will likely play a factor.

Ideally i'd like Sony and Microsoft to become a joint venture for gaming to end the stupid console wars.

What do you guys think should happen for the next generation?

I think you had some great ideas im also ready to have all games ready for digital download on release day im sick of scratched discs etc from my kids.

Although games are available as digital, they are really not competetive pricing.

Driver San Fransisco was about £37 in the shops and £57 on PSN

If the games are at a good price i'm open to them as a format, but only if there was an umlimited amount of downloads, so there is no limit of how many times it can be downloaded in case you need to re-download them in case the system fails.

A system that doesnt play mediocre games like MGS...

Bull____+Detector.gif

better not buy any new microsoft console....this is what I need

1080p gaming
1080p video (blu ray)
faster processor, better graphics, better games.

motion sensor and all that is just a plus.

$350 or less

I think if they want to go digital, they should have a streaming service, like the one where it sends the files necessary to just start the game, then as you're playing it the rest of the game will download as you play, that way you don't have to wait many hours for it to download before playing.

Anyways, I think the PS3 has more life in it--since the Wii-U is coming up, the PS3 has pretty much the same functionality using the PSP Vita and PS3 together, so I think it can have some of the same features as the Wii-U and extend its lifetime.

For the Xbox, well, they really should put out a new console soon, but considering that the Kinect doesn't have any good games yet (although it's sold better than they expected) I think they'll have at least one more year before they announce a new console so that they can try and get as much as they can out of Kinect.

I'm dubious at the prospect of a streaming games service. Streaming of youtube on my iPad can take a while as it is, for them to stream a whole game would be difficult as a worldwide medium as it would require top-speed internet universally. And countries have fluctuating internet speeds from great to damn awful.

Last edited:
Rumor has it 360 is not booked to change until 2015. You probably wont even see any images until 2013. The day you have to start updating your consoles every year to play the newest games is the day I stop playing. If you want that kind of customization, go PC. For the rest of us, I only want to upgrade every few years. Even that is pushing it.....

Rumor has it 360 is not booked to change until 2015. You probably wont even see any images until 2013. The day you have to start updating your consoles every year to play the newest games is the day I stop playing. If you want that kind of customization, go PC. For the rest of us, I only want to upgrade every few years. Even that is pushing it.....

I think with the console war, more and more gamers have become prone to comparing and contrasting graphics performance.

This will lead to any new console becoming outdated after a few years, so swapping out simple plug-and-play conponents each year would be better for graphics and especially the need to upgrade to a full new console.

I wouldn't have the first clue about upgrading graohics cards and such in a PC, but if it was done as an easy "pull this out replace and slide back in" approach it'd be accessible to alot of console owners.

Ooh, cool thread, I don't know if anybody has a webOS phone but I always thought wouldbe cool to have that kind of set up for a console. Meaning You can pause the game and go elsewhere and do other stuff while that game stays open, I guess like minimized windows on a PC. Free online on all consoles. More Uncharted LOL

With pleasure. ;)

Having that said, QC is the biggest issue here. Back when I was trying to decide between 360 and PS3, I heard stories from both sides about the RROD and BD drive failing right after the warranty expired, respectively. I count myself lucky I haven't had any issues with my 360, but the fact that so many people have these problems is scary. I'm preaching to the choir, though, and it's clear this is never going to happen since it's a problem present in so many other industries. I guess all this leaves me to desire is a console with an automatic cookie dispenser. :rock

In all seriousness, the main thing I'd like (which is also the most realistic, judging by what we've seen) is for each new console to be 100% up-to-date in terms of graphics capabilities. Meaning, as powerful as the best PC video card at its time of release. Look at the next-gen systems we have now. Did they look great when they came out? Definitely. Did the PC totally beat them within a year of release? Yep.
Granted, ensuring the highest-end video card upon release will hike the price up quite a bit, but consoles are already ridonkulously expensive when they first hit, anyway. I've always waited a couple years before getting mine, so after the hype dies down, you'd be looking at a great deal. In other words, everything eventually becomes obsolete -- but this can be delayed if it's truly the best thing ever when it's launched, which so far hasn't been done yet.

k

In all seriousness, the main thing I'd like (which is also the most realistic, judging by what we've seen) is for each new console to be 100% up-to-date in terms of graphics capabilities. Meaning, as powerful as the best PC video card at its time of release. Look at the next-gen systems we have now. Did they look great when they came out? Definitely. Did the PC totally beat them within a year of release? Yep.
Granted, ensuring the highest-end video card upon release will hike the price up quite a bit, but consoles are already ridonkulously expensive when they first hit, anyway. I've always waited a couple years before getting mine, so after the hype dies down, you'd be looking at a great deal. In other words, everything eventually becomes obsolete -- but this can be delayed if it's truly the best thing ever when it's launched, which so far hasn't been done yet.

I don't know much about the development of these consoles, but I would imagine that is next to impossible. Video cards are constantly evolving, and consoles spend a significant amount of time in development, with the entire system being built around the processing power originally chosen at the time development starts.

That being said, I hope that the next generation of consoles does exactly what each one before it has...allow game developers more freedom to deliver even more immersive and cinematic game experiences. :rock

Nova you have some good ideas. As far as streaming games is concerned this already exists, it's called OnLive.

The rumor is Sony is already making PS4. Foxconn one of the manufactuers of PS3 has said they are already producing PS4's, and a source from Sony said in a high level meeting that it was said PS4 in 18 months.

I was just discussing this morning what features I would like to see in a next gen console, and I also thought of modular upgrades. What I would really like to see is the inclusion of the latest DirectX (11). I also really hope they can do high levels of Anti-Aliasing, as well as Multisampling. For the less tech inclined all that means is more realistic lighting, and water effects (DirectX), and no jagged pixelated edges of objects (aliasing, multisampling).

Better graphics through more detailed textures is given, I just hope they give next gen consoles enough main RAM. As I understand it the pathetic amount of main RAM the PS3 and 360 have is what is now limiting dev's in doing what they want to do. Next gen consoles can't really do anything about higher resolutions for better graphics since that is dependant on the monitor you are using, and the standard is tv's which can't do better than 1080p. All we can hope is that 1080p becomes a true standard which I would argue it currently is not.

Here is a link to the official site

https://www.onlive.com

It is highly dependant on the speed of your Internet connection as one would expect. I would love to try it, but I know my Internet connection isn't fast enough to truely enjoy it. People have reported it can have some noticeable input lag, which makes it not optimal for fast paced games like FPS's.

Another offshoot of this idea, and what some are harolding as the future of gaming is browser based gaming. One of the first true games attempting to try this is a AAA indie game called Interstellar Marines. It's still in development, but they have a few playable tech demo's out that are all browser based. I suggest anyone interested check them out.

https://www.interstellarmarines.com

Nova you have some good ideas. As far as streaming games is concerned this already exists, it's called OnLive.

The rumor is Sony is already making PS4. Foxconn one of the manufactuers of PS3 has said they are already producing PS4's, and a source from Sony said in a high level meeting that it was said PS4 in 18 months.

I was just discussing this morning what features I would like to see in a next gen console, and I also thought of modular upgrades. What I would really like to see is the inclusion of the latest DirectX (11). I also really hope they can do high levels of Anti-Aliasing, as well as Multisampling. For the less tech inclined all that means is more realistic lighting, and water effects (DirectX), and no jagged pixelated edges of objects (aliasing, multisampling).

Better graphics through more detailed textures is given, I just hope they give next gen consoles enough main RAM. As I understand it the pathetic amount of main RAM the PS3 and 360 have is what is now limiting dev's in doing what they want to do. Next gen consoles can't really do anything about higher resolutions for better graphics since that is dependant on the monitor you are using, and the standard is tv's which can't do better than 1080p. All we can hope is that 1080p becomes a true standard which I would argue it currently is not.

The only console that can support DirectX is the Xbox, which the 360 is using DirectX 9, so PS4 wouldn't have DirectX 11

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those features copied.

It really should be very easy for them to add a lot more power for a low price--that's the advantage they have of waiting more than 5 years since the last consoles.

I'm dubious at the prospect of a streaming games service. Streaming of youtube on my iPad can take a while as it is, for them to stream a whole game would be difficult as a worldwide medium as it would require top-speed internet universally. And countries have fluctuating internet speeds from great to damn awful.

Speed also depends on the device, a console would be more powerful than the iPad so it's not a good comparison of internet speed.

Anyways, the streaming I'm talking of is actually game data, not video. So for instance if you're playing the campaign of a game it's going to take you much longer to play through that part than it would be to download the data for the levels, so it can download the parts of the game that are needed faster than you can play through them. The only issue would be multiplayer, where you have a good set of maps that are randomized, so there's no way to know what map would need to be loaded next and so they wouldn't be able to prioritize downloading a map over another.

As for browser gaming---Epic is soon to be releasing a version of their game engine that will be able to run in Flash in the browser, they were easily able to take a UT3 level and run it that way, so perhaps that will lead to new things.

Back