What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished Kings of Cool. Awesome prequel. I'm starting to really like Winslows style. I might check out Dawn Patrol.

Started reading this last night...

Crucible_(Final_cover).jpg

:D :yess:

Cool. I have to get more of the Robocop comics.
I just finished reading (and rereading ones I already read) every single Terminator related comic book.
The final one I read was Superman Vs Terminator lol.
I think Robocop VS Terminator was good... written by Frank Miller

Read a few books over this last month, with a majority done the last week in August when I was at OBX at our annual family vacation.

2m2gjvd.jpg

Great read. Really enjoyed it.

2rze2ci.jpg

Kind of underwhelming to me. Heard good things about it, but it just didn't click.

2a8jg8z.jpg

Another great book by Mark Bowden, I wouldn't expect anything less from him.

2powgid.jpg

Great read. Really sad how the U.S. government and the Army attempted to spin Pat Tillman's death by friendly fire.

25056dj.jpg

Currently 2/3 through this one. Okay, I don't want to offend any one, and admittedly, my knowledge of it is based primarily on reading this book, but Mormonism...wow.

I just got completely caught up on Aquaman, and I'm in the midst of getting through Justice League (just finished the Throne of Atlantis arc).

Rama II, by Arthur C. Clarke.
There are 4 books in this series that he wrote with Gentry Lee.
The first book opens up (2-3 centuries in the future) with a ginormous spacecraft (20km x 50km cylinder shaped) that enters the solar system and moves near the sun and then departs back into deep space. The craft is deserted, essentially.
Humans dealing with things much larger than themselves.

So far pretty good.

Just finished Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's Strain Trilogy. while the first book in the trilogy (The Strain) started off well, the trilogy as a whole was underwhelming to me. Expected more, especially with all the critical acclaim.

I'm getting caught up with Usagi Yojimbo. It's a fantastic series, based on the life of Miyamoto Musashi (aka Miyamoto Usagi). It was written by Stan Sakai, the creator of Ninja Turtles.

I'm about halfway through Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones and LOVE it!

Henson is probably the biggest creative influence and artistic idol I have and this biography is SO comprehensive it's insane. It details his early childhood, his lineage, and includes even trivial (albeit interesting) bits of info like paychecks for certain gigs, so you can really get a feel for his meteoric rise and see the 'empire' he essentially builds.

Raymond Chandler, The high Window.
LA crime noir, Marlowe.

Jim Thompson, The Grifters.
One of my favorite authors, some of his characters are the worst people on earth.

A.C. Clarke, Cradle.
My Sci-Fi fix.

James Baldwin, Just Above My Head.
Great American author.

Back