Statue Weta Workshop's Bilbo Baggins Barrel Rider from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is a challenge. There must be some piece in the Rings canon that everyone liked. Well crud its hard to find fault with the new Balin.

Maybe the original Balrog? I don't know I always see someone not like a piece for various reasons.

Maybe the original Balrog?

Original Balrog...:love...:love...:love...you would never guess I like it, would you. :lol

I'm not overly fond of the Bilbo Barrel Rider piece, but I can see where Weta could be going with it.

It could be the only way many collectors could afford a full set of Dwarves and Bilbo...compared to what they would cost in statue form, the Barrel Riders would be much more affordable. :wink1:

I was thinking it was a bit meh as I thought it was 1/6... but for the scale it's quite an impressive level of detail and really not a bad price.

I'm having a bit of hard time visualizing the actual size though, are their any other pieces from this mini statue series that have a size comparison with them?

They've done Gollum, Strider, and Gandalf the Grey before this in The Lord of the Rings side of things.

Here's a picture of my strider piece to get an idea.

Any chance you have a pic of Strider next to another item for scale purposes? Like I said just trying to get a better idea of how big these actually are... that looks really cool BTW, great pose :rock

Never really liked any Rog statue as they were as much shadow and flame as muscle and bone which the statues just do not capture :)

There ya go. Even a great piece like the Original Rog has someone who doesn't like it.

Any chance you have a pic of Strider next to another item for scale purposes? Like I said just trying to get a better idea of how big these actually are... that looks really cool BTW, great pose :rock

Yeah, I will snap something with my phone in a bit. I love that someone captured that moment.

WETA did say they were going to introduce something new and this seems to be it. I think it reflects the fun, basic side of WETA as, at the sake of repeating myself, they are new to the collectibles market in terms of it being a major part of their business.
I look at these as something like 'Bad Taste Bears' or 'Enchanted Dragons' figures that were novel, likeable and collectable until they over did them. Could be a very nice little bonus pick up set that you know won't be over done and will be readily available. Bigger, more detailed, more expensive is not always better if you are just looking for something to bring a memory and a smile to your face be it book or film :wink1:

GB here is a quick pic to give you an idea.

null_zps39f8833d.jpg

Cool, thanks man :duff Looks like a good scale for building up a large collection.

And solid paint work for the size :lecture

No problem. Its not a great picture but I hoped it would help none the less.

I think the mini-statues for their size are really good pieces.

From the Shadow and Flame:

Weta said:
Hi Everyone

Things are heating up fast !

Tomorrow, we celebrate the release of the trailer for The Desolation of Smaug, by launching the first in a new series of collectables from the Desolation of Smaug, for customers at a lower price point. This is a Special Preview piece for the new movie. It is in stock and ready to ship from tomorrow ! There will also be an exclusive version available at the Weta Cave only

We are now shipping out pre-orders from our NZ warehouse for :

• Staff of Gandalf the Grey
  • Pipe of Fili
  • Gollum Enraged
  • Fellowship of the Ring - Set 2

We have a very limited number of the Staff of Gandalf the Grey in our UK warehouse. Order quickly, or these will be sold out until the second and final production run, arrives in Sept/Oct

We have completed the move to our new warehouse in the US to Seattle, and are now able to process orders as usual.

San Diego Comic Con is only 1 month away ! We look forward to seeing you there. All Flamers are invited to our annual Comic Con Moot on the Thursday evening (see the thread at the top of the page). Stay tuned for more Comic Con announcements. Our sleeves are bulging with secrets .... :shh

Supanova Sydney and Perth are even closer ! Our team are excited to meet some you at the booth, where Daniel Falconer will be signing and giving presentations

Cheers

Tim

Back