Statue Weta The Hobbit - Kili

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me get this straight so I'll know. An open edition means that they make as many as they want. But a limited edition means they make so many, in this case 1,000 and that's it?

Making 1,000 then switching to an open edition doesn't make sense to me. Do they do that?

I don't think that Weta did that to any piece

Let me get this straight so I'll know. An open edition means that they make as many as they want. But a limited edition means they make so many, in this case 1,000 and that's it?

Making 1,000 then switching to an open edition doesn't make sense to me. Do they do that?

That's correct. An OES means they will make as many as they get orders for until orders dry up. Yes, if the ES of a piece is 1,000 that's all that will be made.

Rivendell, Bag End, and Orthanc all had short runs being limited but after that went to open. Those were the only pieces. They each had something special about the numbered run that sat them apart from the OE run.

That's correct. An OES means they will make as many as they get orders for until orders dry up. Yes, if the ES of a piece is 1,000 that's all that will be made.

Rivendell, Bag End, and Orthanc all had short runs being limited but after that went to open. Those were the only pieces. They each had something special about the numbered run that sat them apart from the OE run.

That's what I thought. I know that Thorin was limited to 700 for the SDCC piece with the Oakenshield, then the rest were open. Same with Dwalin and the first ones were signed, the rest open.

I did notice this though. I got my Balin and it was limited to 1,000. Now online it says it's an open piece. ?

Was Gandalf and Bilbo ever listed as limited?

Thorin was another where they did a small limited run. Having the one with the shield be last years SDCC Ex. The signed ones are different in that its the same statue they just sat a few aside and had the actor sign the box.

That's just it's number in that production run. They make 1,000 and ship them. Then they'll repeat that again.

No those are also OE.

Thorin was another where they did a small limited run. Having the one with the shield be last years SDCC Ex. The signed ones are different in that its the same statue they just sat a few aside and had the actor sign the box.

That's just it's number in that production run. They make 1,000 and ship them. Then they'll repeat that again.

No those are also OE.

Okay thank you. So Bomfur and Bofur are true limited editions?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not used to ordering Weta pieces.

That is correct.

Don't worry. I don't mind answering questions. It's part of the fun IMO.

Thanks! It just helps me know in which order to order them in since I have to be careful not to go over board.

That's what I thought. I know that Thorin was limited to 700 for the SDCC piece with the Oakenshield, then the rest were open. Same with Dwalin and the first ones were signed, the rest open.

I did notice this though. I got my Balin and it was limited to 1,000. Now online it says it's an open piece. ?

Was Gandalf and Bilbo ever listed as limited?

thorin, gandalf and bilbo were the first three releases in the 1/6 scale and i bought all three the second they were up for sale. they started out as limited to 1000. at least that was what was on their website when i ordered. when i received all three very close to one another and all from weta directly, i went to log them in inventory. none had numbers. i went to the weta website and what once said limited to 1000 for all three was now open edition. i don't know if they decided to change the run to OE, but i was kind of pissed because that's not what it said when i ordered. but i liked all three not to raise a stink. now 'the josh' said weta doesn't do the numbered runs, then open edition. they did that with isengard the black tower. i have number 300 of 400. it's now an open edition. they've also done that with several other environments. i'm hoping that won't be done with the 1/6 numbered line. btw, my balin is open edition. yours is numbered??????

thorin, gandalf and bilbo were the first three releases in the 1/6 scale and i bought all three the second they were up for sale. they started out as limited to 1000. at least that was what was on their website when i ordered. when i received all three very close to one another and all from weta directly, i went to log them in inventory. none had numbers. i went to the weta website and what once said limited to 1000 for all three was now open edition. i don't know if they decided to change the run to OE, but i was kind of pissed because that's not what it said when i ordered. but i liked all three not to raise a stink. now 'the josh' said weta doesn't do the numbered runs, then open edition. they did that with isengard the black tower. i have number 300 of 400. it's now an open edition. they've also done that with several other environments. i'm hoping that won't be done with the 1/6 numbered line. btw, my balin is open edition. yours is numbered??????

Some of Weta's pieces first come with a print or something different about them, that's why they're numbered. Once those are gone, they go to open editions.

As for my Balin, on the side of the box it says #968 of 1,000 but Josh explained this as a run size (they're done in 1,000 lots) and not an edition number.

thorin, gandalf and bilbo were the first three releases in the 1/6 scale and i bought all three the second they were up for sale. they started out as limited to 1000. at least that was what was on their website when i ordered.
I was there the second they went up and not one was ever listed as limited to 1000. They weren't all released at the same time either, they were about 20 minutes apart.

I was there the second they went up and not one was ever listed as limited to 1000. They weren't all released at the same time either, they were about 20 minutes apart.

That's correct. Comic-Con Thorin, Bombur, Kili, and Bofur are the only limited statues in the line so far. Obviously the ones at Comic-Con are all limited but to start none of those were.

Some of Weta's pieces first come with a print or something different about them, that's why they're numbered. Once those are gone, they go to open editions.

As for my Balin, on the side of the box it says #968 of 1,000 but Josh explained this as a run size (they're done in 1,000 lots) and not an edition number.

the bottom of the base will tell you if it is numbered or open with no number.

i disagree. it clearly said limited to 1000 but was changed. maybe you didn't notice that. and yes, minutes apart is ordering around the same time in my book.

That's correct. Comic-Con Thorin, Bombur, Kili, and Bofur are the only limited statues in the line so far. Obviously the ones at Comic-Con are all limited but to start none of those were.

currently that is correct. but at one time, it did say gandalf, bilbo and thorin were 1000 piece runs on the weta website. it's impossible to convince someone that didn't see what i did.

it is possible that i saw that prior to the sale date and it stuck in my head, but i know what i saw. i have been ordering directly from weta since the christopher johnson prawn statue from district 9 so i had anticipated the hobbit line and frequently checked their website for when they went on sale. perhaps that was their first intention, then they decided to make those three open.

question for the josh, do you have a stock photo of the limited thorin statue? i could only find this one, and there are and have been none for sale on ebay. thanks in advance!

Thorin-life-size-Weta-booth.jpg

currently that is correct. but at one time, it did say gandalf, bilbo and thorin were 1000 piece runs on the weta website. it's impossible to convince someone that didn't see what i did.

I'm sure you must remember seeing something about those being limited, but from the time I ordered Bilbo (which was day of release) and saw anything about the Gandalf one, I knew of them being nothing but Open Editions. I have no memory at all of those ever being limited and in fact before ordering, I knew Bilbo was Open Edition, since I was hoping it would be limited and was disappointed that wasn't the case.

I think it was Kili that when very first listed on the Website, a mistake was made and it was shown as being Open Edition. Those comments where picked up on the S&F board, and it was corrected to being Limited Edition.

As for the LE Thorin, that photo is the life size one from Comic Con.
While not stock, here's a pick of mine:

Thorin Side by theguru1, on Flickr

it is possible that i saw that prior to the sale date and it stuck in my head, but i know what i saw. i have been ordering directly from weta since the christopher johnson prawn statue from district 9 so i had anticipated the hobbit line and frequently checked their website for when they went on sale. perhaps that was their first intention, then they decided to make those three open.

I don't know what you saw or where you saw it but these were never limited editions. Well, outside of the ones I mentioned in an earlier post. I was on the site as soon as they went up and they never said anything about them being limited.

question for the josh, do you have a stock photo of the limited thorin statue? i could only find this one, and there are and have been none for sale on ebay. thanks in advance!

Thorin-life-size-Weta-booth.jpg

Guru has ya covered. That's the larger life size one they bring to comic-con.

The Thorin for sale at Comic Con last year, the exclusive with the shield, was limited edition but i also knew before ordering Gandalf and Bilbo that they were going to be open edition, and i also didn't see anything about them being limited edition when ordering from Weta, and i read everything on the page - product description, shipping date, and i always look for a limited edition, and all i saw was 'This piece will be an open edition'.

Back