Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yah, Barad Dûr isn't completely sold out. If anyone missed this here's you chance to get it at cover price. Easily one of Wetas best LOTR pieces with a ton of detail, and considering that Minas Tirith is on it's way I would think this'll sell out completely not long after it goes back up. But who knows for sure.... :lol

Megan @ Weta:
"Barad Dur will be available on our website, the remaining 250 pieces will be in stock in mid August!"

Wow so only 3/4 of them sold hmmm and they held on to 250? For like a year...strange

Darn it. I still won't be able to buy this for some time. I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard to get even if sold out, but now, given the new Minas Tirith, this will skyrocket in price.:(

SS got roasted for doing this with some of their Star Wars Mythos line. Not sure I approve either, but glad people are able to get it that missed out. It is a great piece.

Available in August according to Weta. Honestly, this is bad behavior IMO but people always give Weta a pass.

Wow so only 3/4 of them sold hmmm and they held on to 250? For like a year...strange

Available in August according to Weta. Honestly, this is bad behavior IMO but people always give Weta a pass.

It's unclear to me why they did that, Megan mentioned when they were "back in stock", maybe the entire edition was never made....? :dunno
I'm not upset but I am curious as to the what/why... at least people who missed out have a chance to get one now. Sucks for the people who got it on the secondary market.

Yeah why not list it as backordered instead of Sold Out on the website. Did this ever get a pop on the secondary market?

edit: two closed for 950 and 980, 3 active for 1800-2200 (ha!)

Man I hope they forgot to make all of the Prancing Pony and Argonath environments ;)

Whoa. I don't care, I'm excited! I have been wanting to get this for a while after passing on the clearance bbts sale. Time to save for August. I'm not big on environments, but I need this, Minas Tirith and Orthanc.

From Megan on FoU:

"We don't always produce the full edition for every item. With Barad Dur we made the first 750, the last of which took quite a while to sell. Because of the value of these items, and the sheer amount of space (and cost) they would take to store in our warehouses, Tim opted to discontinue making Barad Dur - which is why it was listed as sold out on the website. While we didn't expect we would got back into production, the full edition was not created so the moulds for BD were not destroyed. We are happy that these last pieces will now be available to those who missed out the first time around."

Seems reasonable to me.

From Megan on FoU:

"We don't always produce the full edition for every item. With Barad Dur we made the first 750, the last of which took quite a while to sell. Because of the value of these items, and the sheer amount of space (and cost) they would take to store in our warehouses, Tim opted to discontinue making Barad Dur - which is why it was listed as sold out on the website. While we didn't expect we would got back into production, the full edition was not created so the moulds for BD were not destroyed. We are happy that these last pieces will now be available to those who missed out the first time around."

Seems reasonable to me.

Thanks for the info. At least Weta and their fans now get the full edition made, although an es of 750 would've been cool. :D

I wonder how far back this process goes. It might finally explain the rarity of the Escape Off The Road wall plaque that was supposed to have an edition size of 10,000.

...I have been wanting to get this for a while after passing on the clearance bbts sale.

Me too, although I didn't pass on the bbts sale, I had to wait for my next pay period to cover the cost and it sold out two days before payday. Glad I'll finally be able to get one at retail and not those (gasp) $2500+ EvilBay flipper prices. :horror

I don't know what to use my $250 weta dollars on now... barad dur? Wait for Dain on Pig... the new Azog... Minis Tirith? I suppose I should either use them on the most expensive thing, or wait to order the things that will be in stock soonest and then use more weta dollars on the thing that comes out last. But I need all of those damn it all to hell. And I told myself I was only collecting 1/4 LotR....

Barad Dur will sell out first. Minas Tirith is open edition so no rush for that. Not sure about edition size for Dain or Azog but I expect they might sell fairly quickly. I would go for what's most likely to sell out first. Barad Dur will push you into gold collector status if you aren't there already so you'll earn extra rewards on any purchases after that so consider that as well.

Yeah, I'm already a gold collector. So I just have to decide if I should knock down the price of barad-dur by $250 or buy it outright and use those points along with my 250 to probably get dain, azog or minis tirith close to free. Probably best to knock down the price of barad dur as it's the most expensive of the 4 I would think. Though Minis Tirith could get up there I suppose.

Back