Weathered Kenner droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are glued on...but using a flat tipped screwdriver and prying from the top and the bottom alternating....they kinda pop right off.

Hey guys, I got a 2nd hand C3PO but when it arrived it was covered in chocolate and sticky black goo from the previous owner. Whist trying to remove the goo I ended up stripping the figure back to the plastic. The remover I used was too harsh.

My question is, is there any specific paint to use for respraying C3PO?

Would you recommend a White primer before the gold paint or just go ahead and spray him gold from the start?

Thanks for any replies.

Hey guys, I got a 2nd hand C3PO but when it arrived it was covered in chocolate and sticky black goo from the previous owner. Whist trying to remove the goo I ended up stripping the figure back to the plastic. The remover I used was too harsh.

My question is, is there any specific paint to use for respraying C3PO?

Would you recommend a White primer before the gold paint or just go ahead and spray him gold from the start?

Thanks for any replies.

Give him a good coat of primer . Black would work well as it'd add depth to the gold coat . Do you have the dept store "Wilkinson" in Ireland ? If so , they do a good range of metallic spray paints ( under £3 for a big can !) and the gold would work a treat for Threepio .:)

Give him a good coat of primer . Black would work well as it'd add depth to the gold coat . Do you have the dept store "Wilkinson" in Ireland ? If so , they do a good range of metallic spray paints ( under £3 for a big can !) and the gold would work a treat for Threepio .:)

Thanks for this Thundergod...we dont have Wilkinson store over here but we do have B&Q and other places that stock Spray Paint. I'll try to get a metallic gold and see how it goes. I wouldn't mind but I want him weathered but I didn't want him covered in a black gooey substance. So I may spray him and then weather him up a bit. I never thought of using a black primer for a gold spray...sure I'll give it a go and see how I get on...

Jay.

Here's the first of my Clankers that I've added articulation to . Most of the heavy lifting's done , all that remains is a little cosmetic work , re-scribing detail here and there and a bit of paint work .
009-15.jpg

008-12.jpg

011-15.jpg

Here's the first of my Clankers that I've added articulation to . Most of the heavy lifting's done , all that remains is a little cosmetic work , re-scribing detail here and there and a bit of paint work .
009-15.jpg

008-12.jpg

011-15.jpg

That looks great! How'd you add swivel articulation to the forearms and upper arms?

Fantastic!! Looks awesome TG. What did you use for the upper arm articulation?

Do you mean at the bicep ? If so, it's just a simple cut joint . I used a razor saw to remove the top part of the arm and then drilled out both parts of the arm . Then I just added a short length of brass rod as a pin . As for the forearm articulation , it's already there ! Try ( carefully but firmly ) twisting the arm and it WILL turn . I've three Battle Droids and the joints were the same on all of them . The joint is there , but it's VERY stiff .:wink1:

Hey guys, I apologise for being a total newb here and bringing up an old post, but I've recently become interested (obsessed) with star wars droids in this scale (as well as the occasional jawa)

So far I've managed to find 2 kenner/hasbro astromechs for a whopping £1.50 each, R2-A6 and the Dagobah light up R2-D2 and plan to totally repaint them, but I was wondering how best to weather them afterward. I'm planning on going with GW washes gryphonne sepia and devlin mud, but also with dusting lots of ground up grimey chalk colours all over it before a spray of dullcote; I'm totally new to this though so any insight is appreciated.

Also I'm curious about using metallic spray paint for some parts, I think somebody previously in this post did so on one of his R5 units (a brownish shade I believe), how could I protect this finish afterward (especially if it is chalk weathered on top) and maintain the metallic sheen? would a satin spray work in the place of dullcote? I'm afraid that gloss would overdo it and turn it plasticy

and one last question in this long post! is there anywhere other than eBay I can find the kenner R5-D4 in the UK? There only seem to be US sellers with EXTREME shipping costs! This badly motivated droid is one of my favourites! Thanks!
:r2d2line

Welcome aboard and well done on getting the droids so cheap ! As for you're weathering , it sounds like you've on the right track as far as techniques go , pastels and washes are best for these effects . A "fixing coat " shouldn't take away the metallic quality of the paint , but a matt finish will certainly dull it significantly ( stating the obvious , I know !). Maybe a satin finish would be more suitable . Have a go and be sure to keep us updated ( with pics ) .:wink1:

I'm just gathering info and tips (and droids!) at the moment, I can't actually start yet cus I have no work station set up where I am (back home for abit before going back to uni).
What kind of primer do you guys use? I'm hesitant to use this spray can I have as it comes out kind of blotchy, I guess the perfect but expensive way is to use an airbrush unless there are any spray primer recommendations (maybe halfords?)

Still the hunt for an UK R5-D4 consumes me :monkey4

Halfords is definately the primer to use . It's not cheap but it gives the best results . Unlike a lot of primers , it shrinks when drying , giving a superb "key " to subsequent top coats which doesn't "flood" or obscure detail . Their "plastic primer " is also great to use on vinyl-type plastics , which are notoriously reluctant to take paint . They also produce a "filler-primer" which is good for surfaces which are less than perfectly smooth . The airbrush is the best way of getting paint onto a model , but they are high maintainance bits of kit and truth be told , NOT essential . There ARE ways of working without one , it's just a matter of learning a few "tricks of the trade " . And you're definately in the right place for that !:1-1:

I've been trying to sand my astromechs so that the paint applies better, but there are so many nooks and crannies its impossible to do it consistently with sandpaper, and my rotary tool leaves gouging marks, do you reckon halfords primer will just stick to the surface regardless of sanding? (been over a lot of it with 320 paper)

You dont have to sand it all away if you use primer. Scuff with scotch brite pad, wash with dish detergent, rinse, air dry. Then primer (I use Tamiya for smaller scale objects as its thinner) then paint.

Back