Weathered Kenner droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dorg! This is my BUD-D2, and the test-bed. I have one untouched R2-A6, and 4 more on the way, plus 2 more R5's. The clear dome came from Hobby Lobby, and the eye was DREMELed off of a perfectly good head. The challenging part is how to get the head off without tearing up the body, and then what to put on the inside. Also, on some of the droids I used BARE METAL FOIL...as opposed to paint. I think it really looks like metal, and is a better contrast to the black droids...(GOLD AND SILVER).

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

100_2741.jpg

EBAY023.jpg

Yes, I masked it. Because of the raised, and recessed panels, I found it quite easy to mask. I generally spray everything. The better pictures are my most recent ones, and you can tell I got better. (my touch ups were always with a brush) I would suggest that you go to Hobby Lobby and find the right "dome" first. There are like 4 different sizes, and two halves. One half fits PERFECTLY on the silver piece directly above the black piece on my droid. Also, once you "decapitate" the regular dome, there are 3 pieces of plastic holding the dome on the body...cut with a DREMEL tool right where these pieces join, and the dome will come off at the right spot. I will do another one...that last one I think was 3 yrs ago!

I just got back from Hobby Lobby, and picked up 2 domes...here is a pick of the clear dome next to the real dome (BUD2-D2). Also, new in the package, in case anyone wants to do this.
IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Here in the next pic, you can see how the "ring" is connected to the dome...cut here...

IMG_0838.jpg

it comes apart like so...

IMG_0839.jpg

Here is the ring...

IMG_0840.jpg

The dome fits perfectly on the ring...

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Just don't try to pry the body apart...I have broke a few this way. It is better to hack into the head, and cut the dome off attached to the body. You gotta salvage the eye any way...I used a DREMEL for that as well. Good luck!!

That awesome! I can not find that size anywhere for the clear dome. I don't think there is a hobby Lobby around me. :slap What is the measurement of the dome?

WOOOW rakkasan, I can not believe you got those domes for $1.17!!! In the Uk I found some but they were so expensive it ended up cheaper for me to buy some from the States, but they were not as cheap as that!!!!

OT I am sure I bought a few... I can pop one in the post mate.

Indeed a great tutorial!Thanks for sharing the disassembled pics.

...I can not believe you got those domes for $1.17!!!
Not to rub any salt in the wound Mark,But those are the exact domes I was going to get for you before you told me that you went the mail order route(many moons back).The Hobby Lobby store is not far at all from me so for future reference,should you need any more,just give me a shout:wink1:

Too,If not mistaken,that is also the same size dome I used on my B'omarr Monk project way back.

WOOOW rakkasan, I can not believe you got those domes for $1.17!!! In the Uk I found some but they were so expensive it ended up cheaper for me to buy some from the States, but they were not as cheap as that!!!!

OT I am sure I bought a few... I can pop one in the post mate.

Sounds good, but let me see if I can find them. What is the Diameter of the dome?

Fantastic work on those Astromechs ! I'd love to do a few more of the little fellahs ( I've a single lone Artoo ) . I've an R2 clock that was given away by Coca Cola ( I think ) a few years back that looks like it was made from the Hasbro mould , so it shouldn't be too much work to get that up to scratch .

oh...I neglected to add that when you do this, the ring will stay on the body...I had to destroy a droid to get the ring completely out...Thanks guys!

Sounds good, but let me see if I can find them. What is the Diameter of the dome?

OT Freak,
Not sure the diameter...It is the medium sized dome at Hobby Lobby. I have bought the wrong one before, but at $1.27, I use them to work on my drilling, or cutting before I do it to the right dome...like a rough draft...ya know?

OT Freak,
Not sure the diameter...It is the medium sized dome at Hobby Lobby. I have bought the wrong one before, but at $1.27, I use them to work on my drilling, or cutting before I do it to the right dome...like a rough draft...ya know?

Hey, maybe you could... use a ruler ;)

I don't usually show progress pics, but this site is all about it. I think I am about 60% complete with this one. I have a strong desire to attempt an R7 too....wish me luck!

IMG_0938.jpg

Back