Weathered Kenner droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All thanks to Brinin's post whom give me an idea to rework my C3PO. :hi5:

Basically, I redone the neck, upper arms & widen torso's area.

IMG_0405.jpg

Glad I could inspire! WELL DONE!! :duff

[
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I thought that the Hasbro C 3PO was to shiny so I dirtied him up. The Medicom is great but out of scale and expensive.....Still waiting for a Sideshow version :impatient:

Iceberg, how did you remove the stains off the Tales-3PO? Please tell me!

Anyone has experiences with cleaning that disney dirt from that version?!

Hi Gent, I haven't remove the stain yet. But I think I will weather the droid to cover the stain. :wave

IMG_0410.jpg

I'm back from being away for 3 weeks (funnily enough, I saw one of those c3pos, the dirtied up desert one, being sold at a random stall at a street fair where I was, but it was £35 I'd rather put toward a death star droid)

I made slow progress on my droids, but managed to get some painting and initial weathering done on one of the R5s

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2445.jpg
(the droid in the background is the inspiration for this one)

This is with the new rim I made, without the plastic bits that finish it off

DSCF2455.jpg

Also want to include this as its creepy :lol
DSCF2458.jpg

Also, while not droid related, on my travels I found a closing down habitat store (furniture/decor shop in the UK) that was in its final throes and picked up some bits that will suit a scene I plan on building some time in the future (not all habitats are closed atm, i recommend going and checking if you have one nearby to get some bargains)

Upside down bathroom pot thing = table, ceramic storage things for stools (I will paint them and add lights to the tables I got eventually) The pot is a little smaller than the official cantina tables, but are still serviceable with some touching up. If anybody wants to find these they have 'names', the table is called 'Lima' and the stools are 'Stacka' if asking instore

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2466.jpg

Also at habitat they where giving away all their old swatches, I grabbed a HUGE amount of all the brown/black/sicklygreenbrown 30cm x 30cm leather samples! go check it out if there is one near - I'm sure somebody might find this info useful if theyre bashing something together but i dont know where to post it =/

Awesome work Mort, R5 is going to looks great when done.

Brilliant idea on the cantina tables, those are going to look fab when you attach the lights to them.

I'm finding it tricky to use milliput to fill in the recessed lines on the R5 heads, I've done it once well enough on the R5 I've pictured but its taking hours to get it filling the gap correctly and sanding it smooth on the second R5, is milliput superfine any better at this?

I started by basing the pattern on R5-C7, loser droid of episode 2. I remade the rim but kept it as an OT looking r5 head (theyre different!) because I want to think of mine as an OT and beyond era guy. I made up the rear of the droid's pattern as no picture existed.

Many little rectangles later, this is the status of the R5:

DSCF2484.jpg

I really hate my camera, it makes it look nothing like in real life :( i spent ages delicately scratching bits with a piece of metal, and making washes go like realistic grime as well as brushing some silver leaf on exposed areas

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2486.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF2491.jpg

DSCF2492.jpg

tried to get some comparison shots of the new rim vs the old one.

When I get back to uni, I am going to use their digital SLRs to take some cool atmospheric shots with 1/6th stuff I've got + try and work on some environments. The inability to stage and document this droid irks me :lol

I've done a few touch ups like painting the feet wires and managed to get some better pictures!

DSCF2503.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

Its next to some mirrors btw, I haven't made 4 of them lol

The picture grain kind of absorbs all the surface wash weathering, I sprayed a 3 part water to 1 part citadel wash through an airbrush (repeated with gryphonne sepia, devlan mud, then badab black) and dabbed it gently with a tissue to get a natural looking mottled "years
without a wipe" effect.

Scratches were made with an old bit of biscuit tin, on the white parts to reveal grey undercoat underneath which when washed looks like the droid has driven through a bramble bush

I also used some 320 and 2000 sand paper to make the patterns on the dome a bit less vibrant, and dry brushed some silver leaf paste stuff all over it for a worn patina (don't know where the stuff is from, but it goes on like a treat - it is very very thin yet is very pastey so perfect for this application)

I got rid of the original plastic eyes and remade these out of some 3mm eyelets from maplins - I have no idea what eyelets are meant to be for other than 1/6 R5 eyes tbh.

I've gotten a tad precious with this one now, but for my next droid I'm going to try make it as grotty as possible... will probably try to submerge it in a bitumen solution and hope the plastic doesn't turn brittle :nana:

Thanks guys, I can't wait to do more stuff and eventually fit it all together - I'm working on my cheapo £5 home made nadon's nook at the moment. Hope to get better camera and lighting capabilities soon so I can show stuff off without it being in the bathroom :lol

Last edited:
I have 2 R5s, 2 R2s, and a death star droid to paint but have just not had the time with university lol. Also 7 power droids and a treadwell to paint :gah:

I've been slacking too...ever since OT Freak ripped on my R7 eye. JK. I haven't been motivated to complete mine. Motivation anyone......? Anyone?

Um, I don't own any Astros (Been bought everywhere lol.), but I've been looking at all y'alls designs and they look awesome! I'd love to see some more. Especially some original designs, like a Astro war-droid or something.

Back