Weathered Kenner droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think its worth it making a new post until I've finished something, so I thought I'd put my droid progress here:

p8050018.jpg

I'm trying to redo the 'teeth' rim of the R5s so they arent as narrow as the original kenner one and are closer to the real droid, I'm also using this opportunity to make it actually metallic in appearance by using thin strips of metal. They both have a different diameter at the moment, I'm still trying to decide what is closest to the film version. I can't prime at the moment yet as I'm waiting for some milliput to arrive so I can fill in the red ridges on the head (going to use fineline masking tape to put my own finer lines on the head when painting)

I want these to be some weird beaten up droids, maybe have an eye hanging out from some wire or something, and a pistol mounted on the head of another as some kind of sentry.

I also have big plans for my Jawas, I've only made one poseable so far and messed around with making one fat and with a more conical hood (Didn't like the hasbro ones all having the same weird hood shape). I'm waiting for some hand antiqued leather swatches to arrive - the little leather samples for deciding what texture/colour to buy a sofa in (had to pretend I wanted to buy a £3000 sofa in "Peter Jones" to get the salesman to request these from the factory for me :nana: ) before proceeding with custom belts/pouches/bandoliers/guns/equipment etc.

p8050021n.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a droid all primed and ready and i'm itching to do it, but I haven't got the right paint yet :(. Im using a badger 250 airbrush and probably tamiya paint and thinner. I'm new to painting plastic models (dollllllllls) so warn me before I start if this sounds like a disaster :lol

edit:

And since I decided to try this out on an R2 its given me an extreme headache!! filing out the middle and tweezering in awkwardly cut strips to try mimic a real vent! might ditch this idea and leave this droid as 'battle damaged' (see one on right compared to left)

DSCF2418.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to try to, I'm lucky these are gonna be weathered 'used' looking droids, as its hard to get the vents totally precise is very frustrating lol, and the rotary tool I use to clear out the old ones melts and warps the surrounding frame abit

Yeah I have had that trouble before and its mega frustrating trying to get a smooth finish when the plastic melts like that!

I'm going to try to, I'm lucky these are gonna be weathered 'used' looking droids, as its hard to get the vents totally precise is very frustrating lol, and the rotary tool I use to clear out the old ones melts and warps the surrounding frame abit

What kind of roto tool are you using and what bit?

its a "GMC DEC003AC 135 w Multi Function Rotary Tool" with one of the fine, pink coloured round sanding things on the end, probably about 5mm in diameter. The vents are too small to cut so I drill holes in the middle to begin with, sand away most of the matter with the attachment mentioned, and try and even it all up with a thin nail file afterward.

its a "GMC DEC003AC 135 w Multi Function Rotary Tool" with one of the fine, pink coloured round sanding things on the end, probably about 5mm in diameter. The vents are too small to cut so I drill holes in the middle to begin with, sand away most of the matter with the attachment mentioned, and try and even it all up with a thin nail file afterward.

OK there's your problem. Don't use a sanding stone. Only use a high speed metal edge cutter. Dremel makes them in a few small sizes and they don't melt the plastic. Just don't turn on the tool at a very high speed. Practice a bit at some different speeds and see what will or wont melt.

Thanks OT freak, i'll try that. Progress will be slow for now as I am going away for 3 weeks! :impatient: I should have stuff to show then!

Droid looks good, but whats with the eye? Did you cut down the eye on the hasbro droid and glue it on side ways? Looks like you need to redo the eye it self.

Ya...I need to get a better eye. Appreciate the constructive criticism...the lines arent as smoothe as what you or Dorgmal would have done...but once again, I am NOT as good as y'all.

I've been trying to sand my astromechs so that the paint applies better, but there are so many nooks and crannies its impossible to do it consistently with sandpaper, and my rotary tool leaves gouging marks, do you reckon halfords primer will just stick to the surface regardless of sanding? (been over a lot of it with 320 paper)

I use flat spray paints after I sand...let them dry 24 hours and they should be good.

Recently received a C3PO of "Tales of the Golden Droid" to join in my display.

I redone this also. I think have to weather him up someime.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Back