Was 2012 SDCC a disappointment for Star Wars 1/6th Collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a fail for SW 1:6th collectors? :dunno

Bossk, Deluxe Vader, Malgus, TPM Obi-Wan, Ganch, Variant Tusken Raider (nothing carded but one was different and I assume will be a variant). I'd say that was a pretty strong showing just in regards to SW 1:6th.

:goodpost:

I agree. Sideshow has moved away from surprise reveals, so it feels like less was "revealed", when a lot in fact was shown.

Some of the figures have issues as usual, but the only total fail is the absurd price on the snow cannon.

SST hasn't moved away from surprise reveals... we were all pretty surprised with the lack of anything new being revealed.

I think the issue is in the past we would have some early teasers and then a few surprises. Or at the very least a panel with a lot of new upcoming projects. This year nothing was really a surprise or generated any new interest.

I will say overall for 1/6 it was a good showing for Sideshow. The Star Craft reveal and DC characters show a commitment to newer/better bodies and creating very complicated armor and suits. Both things Sideshow has avoided like the plague in years past.

So while I'm not pumped for the Star Wars news, it seems Sideshow is continuing to commit themselves to improving their 1/6 offerings.

I think the issue is in the past we would have some early teasers and then a few surprises. Or at the very least a panel with a lot of new upcoming projects. This year nothing was really a surprise or generated any new interest.

I will say overall for 1/6 it was a good showing for Sideshow. The Star Craft reveal and DC characters show a commitment to newer/better bodies and creating very complicated armor and suits. Both things Sideshow has avoided like the plague in years past.

So while I'm not pumped for the Star Wars news, it seems Sideshow is continuing to commit themselves to improving their 1/6 offerings.
Great post, seeing the suit from starcraft really makes me believe grievous is definitely coming!, dc fans must be bricking their pants too

Great post, seeing the suit from starcraft really makes me believe grievous is definitely coming!, dc fans must be bricking their pants too

I know I about bricked my pants seeing those DC sixth scale figs! :panic::lol
Not sure how I'll sneak those and the PFs into the house, but it will be done....maybe. :lol

As far as 1:6th SW Malgus was a surprise. I realize the rest had been teased but they were still cool looking. I guess for me I don't get how SW fans could feel let down by the figures we saw. SW isn't my #1 but I was very impressed with the figures on display at comic-con.

IMO this was the best comic-con Sideshow has had in my 8 years of going. Also maybe I didn't feel let down because I was there seeing them all upclose for 5 days. :dunno

Edit: Sideshow hasn't had a panel in the last 2-3 comic-cons so not having one wasn't a surprise.

I wish someone would have asked SSC to do more "Ask Sideshow" questions. I think they should make it a biweekly event where they answer 1-2 questions from each format line.

Yep. I was hoping for a Han Solo or Leia HT announcement. Hell, I would have even been happy/satisfied with the HT Anakin announcement. :lol

I think last year each line had a recap vid that showed what they were working on moving forward, would be nice to see that every. SS always keeps us in the dark about everything

This year seemed hardly different from last year to me. Most releases were shown online before it was revealed at the con just like this year maybe save for Grevious. But they had already announced that he was in development.

The only thing more disappointing was that you couldnt pick up your figures at the con but last year non-attendees were getting their stuff before preview night started.

Besides, SSCs has been reducing their con "experience" to the online presence more and more each year. 1st they started making their panel just a showing of the already released videos with a q&a session. Then they cut the panel altogether and offered a paid meet & greet to the fans. Then they offered a limited attendee meet & greet that was less formal, for lack of a better word. All this coincided with the elimination of the exclusives going to the attendees first to them all being PO'd. I understand it probably cost cutting measures but it makes visiting their booth less exciting to be honest.

I can atleast say their booth is still large and packed with product even though I don't buy most of it.

Not discounting anyone's opinion on the subject, just pointing out that their con efforts have been evolving for some time.

Yeah I held off looking at pics of con until I got there and when I got to ssc booth I was like where is the Tauntaun, Probe Droid, Hoth Han and Luke? Oh well I do dig the snowtroopers and canon.

Yeah I held off looking at pics of con until I got there and when I got to ssc booth I was like where is the Tauntaun, Probe Droid, Hoth Han and Luke? Oh well I do dig the snowtroopers and canon.

The snowies were a surprise actually even though they had already been revealed - because they looked a whole lot better than in the PO pics. At SDCC they looked like a still from ESB.

And the cannon at SDCC sold me on it, whereas the PO pics looked way too dark and unclear.

The Tuskens also looked better than the PO pics, though not as big of a leap forward as the Snowies.

Vader and Bossk at SDCC sort of cancelled each other out - Bossk was awesome in the case there (also better than PO pics), Vader was a little confusing as to what we were actually looking at (cobbled together for the Con, or somewhat final)

You forgot the Landspeeder and droids.

I didn't expect any of that stuff. I was pretty sure we'd seen it all pre-con, but even further back, I knew all that was too much for one SDCC.

Back