Was 2012 SDCC a disappointment for Star Wars 1/6th Collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep display could have been much better if hot toys dx luke was next to vader or fighting him...I was hoping for 1/6 landspeeder attack scene with sandpeople ...I also wanted hot toys dx solo ...Just wasn't much star wars 1/6 .....I Thought darth maul spider pretty bad ass ,but the star wars mythos series was pretty breath taking ...yes i know mythos series isnt 1/6 but worth mentioning ......

I think the problem is that there is too much pre-con hype that ruins the surprises that would probably be better left to the con. If the Snow Troopers and Bossk first appeared at the con, it would've been pretty awesome, right? Other companies have had the same problem--Hot Toys included.

This is what I think happened, SDCC is more fun when there are surprises. We got some great products, but having them all shown and even pre-ordered before the show took some of the fun out of it.

Also, I was expecting a panel with a number of teasers, so getting nothing like that this year was unfortunate.

They have an exclusive figure for this years Celebration, but I don't think they will be going.

Although I was happy with all the stuff announced pre-SDCC (Bossk, Snowtrooper and E-Web), I was just surprised that that stuff wasn't just to whet our appetites and was the main course. I was really looking forward to seeing the probot and some sort of epic Bespin display. I also think it was a mistake to display Vader in his current form. Having it displayed as "Deluxe Darth Vader" with no headsculpts, helmet details or accessories just made it seem pretty lackluster.

That said, the Tusken and Snowtrooper displays looked great and I thought their non-SW stuff looked really good (though won't be buying). The Baroness lived-up to the pre-SDCC hype and I was also really impressed with the new DC 1:6 figures, along with the Dr. Doom LSF (way beyond what I'd feel comfortable paying, though).

All in all it was cool, it's just it didn't match the hype. All this time I thought they were holding something big for SDCC and it turned out that, aside from Malgus, we knew everything in advance.

I guess I was just expecting some kind of a shocker for the show itself... I mean, last year there were Battle Droids, Grevious, Dewback, Boba Fett, IG-88, Ht Luke, Etc.... Quantity and quality (of characters) were better in the past, Vader or not.

Pretty much Vader was the only new thing we saw. I think it was a letdown. Whatever happened to their panels they used to show on their site?

Just got an email from Sideshow about "ComicCon wrap up", with a $10 off coupon... that expires on June 18th. Way to go Sideshow! Maybe its a typo, maybe not.

Sean

I'm bummed that there hasn't been one video showing glimpses of the future yet.

A major problem for me was that quality fell short of expectations for some highly anticipated figures, While Malgus, Tusken Raider, Snowie, and Bossk were all top notch, Ep I Obi Wan and Vader were disappointments after waiting so long to see them (and Vader should have been the showstopper of the 1/6 SW display).

Oh, and though most of the prices were TBD, the trending price increases definitely puts a damper over the whole hobby.

Seemed like a no-brainer to have an ESB display as centerpiece, with Boba, IG-88, and Bossk together, deluxe Vader dueling HT ESB Luke (and shown with full ROTJ reveal), Snowies with that cool Hoth dio (one of the most visually interesting aspects of the display, and it's not even planned for sale, just window dressing...). Should have shown both Obi-Wan head sculpts, held off on revealing the airborne trooper until SDCC. Brought back Grievous with some new info on his release. Something. Anything. There was no "wow" factor at all...

A major problem for me was that quality fell short of expectations for some highly anticipated figures, While Malgus, Tusken Raider, Snowie, and Bossk were all top notch, Ep I Obi Wan and Vader were disappointments after waiting so long to see them (and Vader should have been the showstopper of the 1/6 SW display).

You hit the nail on the head. Vader SHOULD HAVE BEEN the showstopper. Instead, we got a reworked ANH Vader that was hastily thrown together just for the Con... and a "Con" it was.

Long gone are the Comic Con reveals of a 1/6 Jabba. I can't imagine what he and the throne would cost today. $600? The E-Web cannon cost MORE than Jabba himself did. Still, there needed to be something "impressive" like the Landspeeder or Droids or Chewie and another year we are let down.

Also probably doesn't hurt that I'm pretty much out of collecting 1/6 unless its Star Wars or custom pieces. Nothing recently from HT, EB or Medicom :)lol) has really grabbed my attention and wallet.

The Hulk is the only non-Star Wars I'm really looking forward to. I like the idea of the West Batman, but can't say I'd drop $200 on him :huh

as a 1:6th Star Wars fan, i would say the "good" was indeed good... but the inclusion of so many of the past clones seemed like space filler. personally, i was disappointed in the Vader... the original ANH proto from a few years back looked better.

...Ep I Obi Wan and Vader were disappointments after waiting so long to see them...
Yeah, meant to mention TPM Obi, too, really convinced me that HT ought to be doing the head sculpts for any human characters or working very closely with SSC on them to get the likenesses down better. I see trouble ahead for Sideshow if they release a mediocre Tarkin or Dooku at $175.00+, the way these figures are heading (or TPM Obi, for that matter as I don't believe he'll be cheap). Really they need to step up their game and either catch-up to HT or outsource the human head sculpts to them.

...I like the idea of the West Batman, but can't say I'd drop $200 on him :huh
I'd definitely pass on a West Batman but have to say the '60s Batmobile is pretty tempting. Would make a really nice standalone piece. For me, adding figures to it wouldn't increase the display value.

Also probably doesn't hurt that I'm pretty much out of collecting 1/6 unless its Star Wars or custom pieces. Nothing recently from HT, EB or Medicom :)lol) has really grabbed my attention and wallet.

The Hulk is the only non-Star Wars I'm really looking forward to. I like the idea of the West Batman, but can't say I'd drop $200 on him :huh

:lecture I feel the same.

Back