Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disneyland opened 61 years ago today. I've been to Disney World 4 times in my life but I've never been out west. I don't really have a bucket list but a trip to Disneyland is definitely something I want to do at some point.

I'm like the opposite of Cokebabies haha... having done WDW 4-5 times (i'm losing track now) I prefer the original park for the very reasons he mentions. (I do enjoy trips to Orlando but I enjoy it more once and awhile whereas I need my Disneyland fix monthly).

It IS insanely small though if you're used to WDW, but it packs a punch and the best thing is, you don't need to ride a bus to park hop! I think that might effect my thought process more so than anything else because the ease and comfort is one reason I prefer visiting Universal Orlando over Walt Disney World.

But having just come back from Shanghai and Hong Kong... Shanghai is something I'm dying to revisit. Hong Kong not so much.

So those rumours about Tower of Terror being converted in DL to a Guardiand of the Galaxy ride were true.

Shame, as I love the look and theme of the ToT.

So those rumours about Tower of Terror being converted in DL to a Guardiand of the Galaxy ride were true.

Shame, as I love the look and theme of the ToT.

I know it's going to be an incredibly fun ride and with different variations that Star Tours has, which will be fun. But i just can't get over the thematic shift of old Hollywood. The Hollywood Tower of terror is the tallest structure in California Adventure and it stands behind the Carthay Circle Restaurant. Having this.... "thing" will be an eye sore.

At least the superior version in Orlando will still exist. Sigh.

They're replacing Ellen's energy adventure with a guardians ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, are they allowed to? Or does Guardians of the Galaxy manage to slip through the contract made by Universal and Marvel?

I don't get how that can happen.

As I understood it, as long as IOA exists, WDW can't have Marvel within the parks (except for souvenirs, it seems). That's why Magic Kingdom's monorail could have Marvel wrapping, but Epcot's couldn't (since Epcot's monorail goes into the park itself). And I thought that's why ToT wasn't getting screwed with.

Disney hasn't confirmed it yet, but there were test height balloons out recently at Ellen's ride. Not sure how they got around. I know a few years ago there was a store in HS that had Marvel trades and other stuff. It's gone now, but perhaps the contract isn't as black and white as it seems. Maybe there is something that allows them access to marvel studio.

I grabbed this from slash film:

And if you’re wondering, yes, Universal Studios Orlando owns the rights to Marvel attractions east of the Mississippi, but that apparently only includes characters currently featured in Islands of Adventure Superhero Island. When that themed land opened in 1999, the Guardians of the Galaxy were not nearly as popular as they are today, and thus Universal focused on the characters and villains from the Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

The restrictions of Universal Studios’ deal with Marvel are very complicated and no one knows for sure if Disney can sneak a Guardians attraction into Disney World. So far Disney World has had Gamora and Star-Lord appear in limited meet and greets, as well ashosted Marvel movie previews, Marvel movie monorail skins and even include footage from the films in the Great Movie Ride. Most people seem to agree that a Guardians ride could not be constructed in Disney World unless Universal were to agree to it, which isn’t beyond the realm of possibility. Its also possible that the Guardians of the Galaxy could feature into the attraction in some kind of hosting capacity. This stuff gets really complex.

I grabbed this from slash film:

Interesting I wonder if they will be able to do something with Dr Strange if the movie hits, he is no where in islands of adventure either. I like universal marvel island but Disney or for that matter Universal could do so much more with it. Look at what they did with Harry Potter give Marvel Island that kind of treatment and see what happens to attendance

I read that the great movie ride will be closing as early as next year. Theater will stay but will be gutted for something new.

Interesting I wonder if they will be able to do something with Dr Strange if the movie hits, he is no where in islands of adventure either. I like universal marvel island but Disney or for that matter Universal could do so much more with it. Look at what they did with Harry Potter give Marvel Island that kind of treatment and see what happens to attendance

Speaking of Marvel Island, you gotta watch this clip from the re-launch of the Hulk coaster. The costumed characters they have look especially ridiculous after seeing Disney's movie versions of everyone.

Electrical Parade leaving Magic Kingdom for Disneyland in October. Bummed about that, as there are no plans for a replacement yet.

Electrical Parade leaving Magic Kingdom for Disneyland in October. Bummed about that, as there are no plans for a replacement yet.

I remember the Electrical parade very well. I'm sure there's plenty of vids on youtube, in case anyone is interested.
If for anything, it has nostalgic draw but the current Paint the Night Parade has such a rockin' soundtrack, I'm going to miss THAT when Electrical comes back.

To make us both happy, I wish they would keep it there in Orlando. But that wish ain't coming true even with a little help from some pixie dust.

And to clarify, it ends its run in WDW in October, but Disneyland won't get it until early 2017.

I no longer have any feelings about it. I loved that parade but they took it away, brought it back, took it away so many times that I no longer care. I'll happily see it when it returns to Disneyland, but I'm not fretting the loss of Paint the Night neither.

We used to get a brand new parade each and every year during the 90s and then it would be gone.

The backlot tour, the maelstrom, the parade, and now the great movie ride? This hurts me. As long as they don't ever replace the Gran Fiesta, I think I'll be ok. A lot of the old Disney is being replaced, which is good and bad, but hard to adjust to when you dont go as often and expect your favorite rides to still be there.

Back