Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The backlot tour, the maelstrom, the parade, and now the great movie ride? This hurts me. As long as they don't ever replace the Gran Fiesta, I think I'll be ok. A lot of the old Disney is being replaced, which is good and bad, but hard to adjust to when you dont go as often and expect your favorite rides to still be there.

This is kind of how i felt about WDW to begin with coming from Disneyland. I was expecting everything that I see at Disneyland multiplied by 2 or 3. Not the case unfortunately.

I haven't heard anything about The Great Movie Ride... but I just find that one hard to believe, especially since so much is already closed to build Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land.

Gran Fiesta Tour is relatively new so that will stay for a while.

I love the Mexico ride in general, even before it was the Gran Fiesta, but like the changes they made to it. The only other thing I can think of that's still old that they could remove/replace is the Tiki Room. All of the others get changes here there to be more modern, like Haunted Mansion or Hall of Presidents, but they're never remove them entirely. I hope the same is said about the American Pavilion as well.

Great Movie ride isnt going anywhere, they are just getting rid of Turner Classics. I've heard this is going for other properties as well as they are getting away from the outside backing and advertising for the attractions. Rock N Rollercoaster just removed all Aerosmith merchandise and there are Mickey's Rock N Roll stuff there.

This is kind of how i felt about WDW to begin with coming from Disneyland. I was expecting everything that I see at Disneyland multiplied by 2 or 3. Not the case unfortunately.

I haven't heard anything about The Great Movie Ride... but I just find that one hard to believe, especially since so much is already closed to build Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land.

Gran Fiesta Tour is relatively new so that will stay for a while.

Great Movie Ride should be replaced or at least updated. The animatronic scenes are still cool but the "live action" bits are beyond terrible. I loved the Maelstrom and lamented it's closure but I just rode the Frozen ride and it's really great.

Great Movie Ride should be replaced or at least updated. The animatronic scenes are still cool but the "live action" bits are beyond terrible.

Agreed. I really like TGMR because it has a "classic" feel - lots of stuff you'd like to change, but for some reason you think it'd be offensive to change. But my wife and I find the live scenes so cringe-worthy that it turns this attraction into a "once a trip" ride.

Maelstrom, I'm whatever about. I loved it as a kid (mostly because all I remember were trolls popping up and falling backwards), but was very indifferent to it considering the wait. I'd rather chill out on Rio / Gran Fiesta for an hour on loop than wait on Maelstrom's line.

I assume they changed the ride vehicles for Frozen, is that the case? Because hot DAMN were the Maelstrom boats uncomfortable.

Agreed. I really like TGMR because it has a "classic" feel - lots of stuff you'd like to change, but for some reason you think it'd be offensive to change. But my wife and I find the live scenes so cringe-worthy that it turns this attraction into a "once a trip" ride.

Maelstrom, I'm whatever about. I loved it as a kid (mostly because all I remember were trolls popping up and falling backwards), but was very indifferent to it considering the wait. I'd rather chill out on Rio / Gran Fiesta for an hour on loop than wait on Maelstrom's line.

I assume they changed the ride vehicles for Frozen, is that the case? Because hot DAMN were the Maelstrom boats uncomfortable.

You know, I can't remember the boats. :lol

Only got to do it once using a FP and I was razzle dazzled by the "new."

So we're booking everything right now for a Christmas trip to Disney World and Universal to surprise the kids. Both grandma's are coming. It's largely a gift from my mother. I can't believe the cost... Anyway, the boys (8 and 10) don't know and won't know until we're on the road to the airport! I think the passes we're buying are Majic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom for 3-4 days there over Christmas. We'll be setting up our fast passes next month.

So we're booking everything right now for a Christmas trip to Disney World and Universal to surprise the kids. Both grandma's are coming. It's largely a gift from my mother. I can't believe the cost... Anyway, the boys (8 and 10) don't know and won't know until we're on the road to the airport! I think the passes we're buying are Majic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom for 3-4 days there over Christmas. We'll be setting up our fast passes next month.
Very cool! Will this be the first time there?
You can save a lot by not booking a hotel associated with Disney, but that's something you'll have to decide. For first timers, I think a Disney hotel will be nice to complete the entire experience.

Get the Park Hopper passes.. Animal Kingdom is fun but its a half day place. Hollywood is getting that way too with all the construction.

I went about 16 years ago with my wife for our honeymoon (I had never been, she had). We only did Majic Kingdom. We did the movie park but so much was under construction there were only a few things open. I did love the Muppet Theatre though. The kids have never been and haven't got a clue about it!

I'll be sure to share that info. I know we booked a house rental but I think that was for the time we're going to Universal for a couple days. I remember Park Hopper coming up in conversation...hopefully wifey did that option. I'll check. Thanks!

Yeah, Animal Kingdom / Holywood Studios are the two I merge together.

Did you guys see the video of Dopey falling on Goofy in Fantasmic? LOL it was so great.

I went about 16 years ago with my wife for our honeymoon (I had never been, she had). We only did Majic Kingdom. We did the movie park but so much was under construction there were only a few things open. I did love the Muppet Theatre though. The kids have never been and haven't got a clue about it!

I'll be sure to share that info. I know we booked a house rental but I think that was for the time we're going to Universal for a couple days. I remember Park Hopper coming up in conversation...hopefully wifey did that option. I'll check. Thanks!

No problem.
I know you will all have a great time.
Make some great memories with the family and take plenty of pics. Not just the typical portraiture/posing stuff, but the room you stay in, the unique Disney desserts, the rides, shops, etc.
It's a different atmosphere during the holidays and Disney never disappoints with the decorations.

I'll be going back to Disneyland next yr ... In California adventures , the Grizzly Rapid ride was closed . Anyone know if this ride is seasonal then ? We went in late April .. Would like to go at the same time ..

I'll be going back to Disneyland next yr ... In California adventures , the Grizzly Rapid ride was closed . Anyone know if this ride is seasonal then ? We went in late April .. Would like to go at the same time ..

No, this ride is opened year round. The lines are significantly shorter during the winter season for obvious reasons, but it's operating.
The ride will get shut down for any technical difficulties or inspection just like any other ride there.

Select years any given attraction that's due for a refurbishment will go down for one. It's really the luck of the draw, unfortunately. There are closures at Disneyland that are guaranteed though:

Haunted Mansion: before Halloween (early Sept), after New Year's for Haunted Mansion Holiday

Space Mountain: before Halloween, after Halloween for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy

Jungle Cruise: before thanksgiving, after New Year's for Jingle Cruise

it's a small world: before thanksgiving, after New Year's for it's a small world Holiday

Haha man, Apone, I love your signature pic but you're gonna get be busted at work one of these days.

Haven't posted pics in awhile, so here's a few stragglers from the 60th anniversary which is now officially over.

DL07302016_0033.jpg

DL07302016_0083.jpg

DL07302016_0092.jpg

DL07302016_0107.jpg

DL07312016_0002.jpg

DL07312016_0005.jpg

DL08212016_0088.jpg

DL08212016_0091.jpg

DL08282016_0140.jpg

DL08282016_0146.jpg

DL08282016_0168.jpg

DL08282016_0162.jpg

DL08282016_0158.jpg

DL08282016_0190.jpg

DL08282016_0185.jpg

DL08202016_0089.jpg

DL08202016_0067.jpg

DL08202016_0113.jpg

DL08212016_0207.jpg

DL08202016_0118.jpg

Obviously, this isn't meant as an insult to your pictures - since I'm on record multiple times being pervy for them - but Indy looks HORRIBLE there.

It's not a great likeness regardless, but something about the angle or something - he looks like a bloated, sweaty mess. :lol Also, on quick glance, it looks like he's got a Jay Cutler-esque cigarette dangling.

On the flipside - that closeup picture of the guitar... I don't know exactly what it is about it, but that's a gorgeous shot. I've always loved that guitar shape, so I'm sure that helps.

Back