Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been firming up the dining plans for the trip and I was wondering... what culinary experiences would you "seasoned park hoppers" (and you know who you are :)) deem "not to be missed". I know all appetites are different but I'm just curious what you guys/gals recommend.

Funny, this will be the first trip since 1998 that we will be skipping Goofy's Kitchen since my kids consider themselves too old for those autograph books. End of an era. :(

Although my son Alex is going to miss Goofy's Mac N Cheese. :monkey2

Disneyland....
Blue Bayou...I finally ate there about a month ago and found the food good...but not enough to pull me back to pay the price tag ever again. So if you've never experienced it (or have and don't mind the high price tag) then I would totally recommend it!

Tiki Juice Bar for pineapple treats!

The new Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe has some good options. I especially like their grilled cheese and tomato soup option. Oh and the Matterhorn Macaroon (when they have it).

Cafe Orleans has some really good options. Their Pomme Frites are quite good! Outside the park in Downtown Disney there's the Jazz Kitchen that serves some of the same food as well. They have this amazing layered potato side dish that is AMAZING.

Mint Julep Bar for the Mickey Benets!

Disneyland....
Blue Bayou...I finally ate there about a month ago and found the food good...but not enough to pull me back to pay the price tag ever again. So if you've never experienced it (or have and don't mind the high price tag) then I would totally recommend it!

Tiki Juice Bar for pineapple treats!

The new Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe has some good options. I especially like their grilled cheese and tomato soup option. Oh and the Matterhorn Macaroon (when they have it).

Cafe Orleans has some really good options. Their Pomme Frites are quite good! Outside the park in Downtown Disney there's the Jazz Kitchen that serves some of the same food as well. They have this amazing layered potato side dish that is AMAZING.

Mint Julep Bar for the Mickey Benets!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions... I really appreciate it!

Funny, for as many times I've been to Disneyland, I've never eaten at Cafe Orleans. My wife has now put it on the list of places to go. We feel compelled to try a bunch of new places this time around.

Speaking of which, has anybody had the barbeque at Big Thunder Ranch?

And I have been to Blue Bayou before. I know what you mean by the high prices. I had their jambalaya which I thought was quite good. My kids LOVED the atmosphere so I think we are slated for a return visit.

At their ages now, I think my kids would rather go to Blue Bayou than Goofy's Kitchen. Strange how things change. :horror

Last edited:
I just love the atmosphere in Blue Bayou. I could hang out in there all day if a) they wouldn't kick me out and b) I didn't have that Disney "GOTTA GET STUFF DONE" mentality.

I've been firming up the dining plans for the trip and I was wondering... what culinary experiences would you "seasoned park hoppers" (and you know who you are :)) deem "not to be missed".

I'm late chiming in but hopefully can be helpful. You already have dinner plans at Carthay Circle Restaurant which is the newest "fine diner" at the resort that even I have yet to try!

Here's some highlights... and i'll repeat some of the more popular choices already mentioned above just to echo it.

DISNEYLAND
-Carnation Cafe -- This is the restaurant in the middle of Main Street U.S.A. that usually gets passed by because they're on their way to the lands with the rides and all that, but I urge you to consider it. It's table service and stationed right next to Gibson Girl ice cream so it's the only restaurant where you can get all these ice cream sundae desserts without having to wait in line at Gibson Girl! This is a great lunch spot. Reservations recommended.

-Cafe Orleans -- Another table service spot in New Orleans (the upstairs is Club 33) and I get the same thing everytime. Monte Christo sandwiches and pommes frites. Reservations recommended.

-Blue Bayou -- I actually haven't been back since they redesigned their menu but you've been there so I really don't need to say anything else.

-Jolly Holiday Bakery -- This is Main Street USA's latest restaurant at the end of the street close to Adventureland entrance. It's counter service and nothing that special but does offer baked goods, sandwiches, salads, and some soups.

DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
-Carthay Circle Restaurant & Lounge -- You're already doing this but I recommend if you like your booze, go to the lounge and order the Carthay Manhattan. They make their ice sphere ***** on the premises...
DL_02092013_11.jpg

DL_02092013_14.jpg

-Wine Country Trattoria -- Next to the Golden Vine Winery is what was originally the finer restaurant in DCA but it's a great location to enjoy some wine and a good meal. Table Service. Reservations recomomended.

-Flo's V8 Cafe -- Counter service eatery in Cars Land, this is actually a great place some meats and mashed potatoes. Diner-type food at decent prices. The outdoor area allows you to watch the passing Radiator Springs Racers too.

-Paradise Grill -- Located in Paradise Pier next to Goofy's Sky School, this mediterannean joint is one of my favorites. Steak skewer with some red sauce, pita bread and cucumber salad, glass of beer. If you're lucky they have live music playing there too. Counter service.

DISNEYLAND RESORT HOTELS
-Napa Rose -- Grand Californian Hotel. This is probably the pride restaurant of the entire resort. Commonly known as Disney's 5-star restaurant, this is the most expensive spot. You can try and ask for the Chef's table where you sit right where the chef is preparing all of your food. Reservations required.

-Storyteller's Cafe -- Grand Californian Hotel. This restaurant has a menu but for breakfast and dinner there's a buffet. it's about $30 per person (drink included) and has their amazing chicken corn chowder, fruit, salad, prime rib, etc etc and an amazing dessert bar. They even have all you can eat ice cream but don't mention it... just go up to the freezer and wait and someone will scoop you a plate of ice cream. Reservations recommended.

-Steakhouse 55 -- Disneyland Hotel. Pretty much what it sounds like. I dunno if it's on the menu but check to see if they still have the potato cheese brick. I don't know what it's called but it's amazing. Reservations recommended.

-Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar -- Disneyland Hotel. This is my favorite bar. Ever. It's basically if Disney themed a bar the way they would a ride and awesomeness ensues. Make sure you sit on the right side of the bar for the better views of all the craziness that happens when you order certain drinks. Their food is also really really good. Head over to Tangaroa Terrace next door if you just want food, but there's a few items at Trader Sam's you can't get at Tangaroa Terrace.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
-Earl of Sandwich -- While you can get this in Orlando, Miami, Boston, Las Vegas, etc... this is the only location in California and it's my favorite sandwich spot. It's also the nearest location to the Disneyland Hotel and yah.. I just love this place.

-UVA Bar -- This is the outdoor bar area, part of Catal Restaurant, but it's just fun to be in an outdoor area enjoying the weather and a fine drink. The food is pricey here but also good.

Aaaand, there you have it. My favorite spots at the Disneyland Resort.

Yeah, the V8 Cafe was a fantastic surprise. I wasn't looking forward to it much, but wound up loving it. It's great for a very filling lunch, or a reasonably-priced dinner.

My wife and I grabbed an outdoor seat so we could just watch Racers.

And regarding the Tiki Bar. I know I mentioned this, but my advice for going to this is counter-intuitive to everything else Disney-related: go when it's busy. It is much more fun with a lot of people in there.

We enjoyed the Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant in WDW and it was by far our favorite place to eat and unwind. I'm suprised they haven't replicated that at Disneyland.

We enjoyed the Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant in WDW and it was by far our favorite place to eat and unwind. I'm suprised they haven't replicated that at Disneyland.

There's a decent handful of Irish Pubs in Southern California. Was there anything about Raglan Road that made it unique or special?

I'm late chiming in but hopefully can be helpful. You already have dinner plans at Carthay Circle Restaurant which is the newest "fine diner" at the resort that even I have yet to try!

Thank you SO much for your post... I really hoping you would chime in. I appreciate the time and effort it took for you to post it, CB! Your post has been extremely helpful in our developing culinary plans. And I'll post a full report of my Carthay Circle visit when I get back.

Since it's so close to the Disneyland Hotel, I was definitely considering a trip to Steakhouse 55. But when you mentioned the potato brick, I looked it up on the online menu. Turns out its called Chef's Potato Stack Au Gratin. And it looks AMAZING!:

celebrationport55fw3095.jpg

And since we really enjoyed Earl of Sandwich at WDW, we're planning to visit this place as well since we don't have one anywhere near us.

And I think you are right... Carnation Cafe is a real gem. I don't think that I have yet to visit Disneyland without going to Carnation Cafe at some point on the trip. At peak times, it's funny to see the hordes of people pass it by on their way to the attractions. My kids have always liked the Mickey Waffles. :wink1:

Speaking of my kids, they are probably most excited to visit Cozy Cone.

And Trader Sam's Tiki Bar... here I come! It might be a great way to cap off a bustling day at the parks. :clap:clap:clap

Last edited:
Proto, I'm late to the dance as well, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Cove Bar yet. It overlooks Paradise Pier and is a great place to get a light lunch and a drink while taking in the views. I take everyone I know there and they're never disappointed. The Lobster Nachos and Beef Sliders are AMAZING. And nothing washes them down better than a Captains Mai Tia. If you time it right it's also a pretty good place to watch World of Color.

The lounge at Carthay Circle is pretty darn cool too (as is the whole restaurant; if not a bit pricey).

And, like most people will agree, Trader Sams is pretty much the coolest bar ever!

There's a decent handful of Irish Pubs in Southern California. Was there anything about Raglan Road that made it unique or special?

It was a 300 year old Irish pub that was disassembled in Dublin, shipped to Orlando and put back together in the Destination Disney/Pleasure Island area. Beautiful interior, very lively atmosphere, great food and lots of imported drinks. Like real pubs it's a place the whole family can go. The dancers that evening were a traveling group of stepdancing girls who took a liking to my girls and pulled them up on stage for a leason.

We ate there on our final evening. If we had gone earlier in the week I would have changed one of our reservations so we could go back.

Planet Hollywood was OK but way overpriced. Glad I did the meal plan or that would've hurt. They have some neat film props but I suspected a few of them are replicas. I saw Jack Nicholson's ax from The Shining hanging in the resteraunt. Later went through the gift shop and there's another ax claiming to be the same.

Hollywood & Vine was the biggest waste. Golden Coral level food, big $$$. If they have one in Disneyland don't bother.

Man Dune, I wish I could go back to Disneyland Paris. I've been once in 98 and it's changed quite a bit since then.

Proto, I'm late to the dance as well, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Cove Bar yet. It overlooks Paradise Pier and is a great place to get a light lunch and a drink while taking in the views. I take everyone I know there and they're never disappointed. The Lobster Nachos and Beef Sliders are AMAZING. And nothing washes them down better than a Captains Mai Tia. If you time it right it's also a pretty good place to watch World of Color.

There is a reason I didn't mention it and it's more of a pattern as of late.... it's been too crowded for me to even step foot in there. Past few times there has been a queue of people waiting to get in from the back entrance (laugh it up) and the service there is so spotty that I couldn't really recommend it.

But I agree... they have better than decent lobster nachos. Haven't tried the beef sliders but will consider them if I ever make it back in!

It was a 300 year old Irish pub that was disassembled in Dublin, shipped to Orlando and put back together in the Destination Disney/Pleasure Island area. Beautiful interior, very lively atmosphere, great food and lots of imported drinks. Like real pubs it's a place the whole family can go. The dancers that evening were a traveling group of stepdancing girls who took a liking to my girls and pulled them up on stage for a leason.

Well that sounds great! I mean, shipping a 300 year old pub from Ireland is pretty unique in itself! So no, there isn't anything like that at Disneyland but there also doesn't need to be.

Just for kicks, here's a list of all the bars at Disneyland Resort for you booze hounds.

DISNEYLAND
-Club 33, New Orleans Square -- Of course this isn't something you can walk into but I'll list it for your bucket list. It's also not much of a "bar" but a place that serves liquor.

DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
-Every restaurant or counter service eatery here does serve beer and some wine so I won't list them all but I'll try to remember the ones that are noteworthy.

-Carthay Circle Lounge, Buena Vista Street

-Club 1901, Buena Vista Street -- This is for Club 33 members only, located in the Carthay Circle building, you can only get in if you know a member.

-Mad T Party, Hollywood Land -- There's a variety of booze windows here that serve Long Island Ice Teas and beers... I forget what they call them here though.

-Golden Vine Winery, Golden State

-Rita's Margarita's, Pacific Wharf

-Karl Strauss Brewery Truck, Pacific Wharf

-Bayside Brews, Paradise Pier

-Cove Bar, Paradise Pier

GRAND CALIFORNIAN HOTEL
-Hearthstone Lounge (near the lobby)

-Napa Rose -- you don't need reservations for the bar but it does get crowded.

DISNEYLAND HOTEL
-Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar, near Adventure Tower

-Steakhouse 55 Lounge -- outside of Steakhouse 55 (haha duh)

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
-UVA Bar

-House of Blues

-Tortilla Jo's

-ESPN Zone

Drink up, me hearties!

The lounge at Carthay Circle is pretty darn cool too (as is the whole restaurant; if not a bit pricey).

And, like most people will agree, Trader Sams is pretty much the coolest bar ever!

Did you say LOBSTER NACHOS!!!! :horror :horror :horror

I remember the time my son first ordered sliders only to be disappointed that they didn't actually slide.

Coheteboy, I have to agree with you on the bad service. I was actually going to mention that but was posting at work and it slipped my mind. The service is horrible. It doesn't even matter if the place is slow or busy, the waiters and bartenders just suck. They have no urgency and never seem to care how fast the food or drinks come out. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I love that spot so much that we suck it up and go either way; who knows, maybe someday we'll be pleasantly surprised and get a competent cast member.

Man Dune, I wish I could go back to Disneyland Paris. I've been once in 98 and it's changed quite a bit since then.

I second that. I'm hoping to visit Disneyland Paris within the next ten years for the very first time. The last time I was visiting Paris, the park was only in the planning stages. :monkey2

It's definitely on the bucket list of places to visit... as is the rest of the Disney Parks. :wink1:

Coheteboy, I have to agree with you on the bad service. I was actually going to mention that but was posting at work and it slipped my mind. The service is horrible. It doesn't even matter if the place is slow or busy, the waiters and bartenders just suck. They have no urgency and never seem to care how fast the food or drinks come out. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I love that spot so much that we suck it up and go either way; who knows, maybe someday we'll be pleasantly surprised and get a competent cast member.

Hahaha, omg whew, I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I've gone so many times over the past 10+ years and my verdict is always the same. Fun if you're with the right crowd but be ready to spend some time there once you sit down.

But yah.. now that there's Carthay Lounge, Trader Sam's, Uva Bar (now boasting mixologists on staff), I have no need to step foot in Cove Bar again.... unless it's dead.

I mostly go to Trader Sams now, but I do love to bar hop throughout the resort. Have only stopped at the Uva Bar once, gonna have to check it out next time I'm up there (which will hopefully be soon).

As for bucket lists, I don't have a very big one, but visiting all the Disney Parks is on the top for sure! And Club 33. So far I've not been able to get in, even though so many of my friends and family have.

Back