Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Walt Disney World and Dineyland(s) Discussion

A Walt Disney World cast member is dead after an accident this evening at Hollywood Studios.

Stunt performer Anislav Varbanov, 30, was fatally injured during a rehearsal for the " Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular." He was doing a tumbling roll after 7 p.m. when he was hurt. He was transported to the hospital and has since died.

Varbanov was rushed to Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where he was pronounced dead 8:53 p.m., Orange County sheriff's deputies said.

Monday's death was the third in less than two months.

On July 5, monorail driver Austin Wuennenberg, 21, died when another train backed into his own. He tried to back his train away, but it was too late. The Orange-Osceola medical examiner's office said there were no drugs in his system, and he died of massive trauma

On August 10, Mark Priest, 47, died from complications he experienced after a bad on-stage fall at the Magic Kingdom.

Priest was performing a mock sword fight during Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial, an interactive show in which actors lead guests through a series of pirate-skills tests, when he stumbled on a wet spot on stage and banged into a wall, his best friend said. He appeared to be improving, but died four days later.

The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, known colloquially as "Epic" to Disney cast members, is performed several times each day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Disney performers don't impersonate Harrison Ford and Karen Allen, the lead actors from the original Indy film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, but instead demonstrate the types of stunts used to film Indy and Marian's adventures.

The 30-minute show opens with a dramatic sequence in which the actor representing Indiana Jones dodges moving spikes and swings on a rope to get to a treasure. During the rest of the presentation, cast members perform acrobatics, stage fights, dodge moving aircraft and avoid pyrotechnics. The famous rolling-ball scene is also re-created.

The show has been performed at Disney since 1989.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration as well and the Orange County Sheriff's Office have been contacted. The Sheriff's office is investigating.

"We lost a valued cast member and our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family as we mourn his passing," said Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/disney/orl-bk-disney-death-081709,0,6075527.story

That's really sad to hear. Sounds like all were just accidents so I don't really see what Disney could do to prevent them.

That's awful!!...
I love that stunt show...
When I was at Universal a couple of weeks ago, I saw the Waterworld show,
and I wondered if anybody ever got hurt performing it...
very hardcore stunts...

Sounds like all were just accidents so I don't really see what Disney could do to prevent them.

If you're ever hired for any safety or security position, please let me know the details so I can avoid avoid that company.

Will Disney Unveil Star Tours 2.0 at D23 Expo?

/FILM - In May we wrote about top secret reshoots in Hollywood, which involved Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar, Tusken Raiders, Jawas, and even C3PO himself Anthony Daniels. Could the big revamp of Disney’s Star Tours, a ride which hasn’t been updated since it opened in 1987, finally be coming soon? And will Disney unveil plans for the new ride at D23 Expo

In mid-September, Disney is holding the D23 Expo, an “ultimate fan experience” convention which will feature sneak peeks at the future of both Disney’s films and theme parks. And the official website mentioned that George Lucas’ Star Wars would have a presence at the convention, which got quite a few Star Wars fans excited. Enough that Disney released an official statement:

“In response to inquiries from Star Wars fan sites about Storm Troopers at the D23 Expo, D23 issues the following statement: “We were contacted by the Galactic Empire and have been advised that Imperial dignitaries will be attending Disney’s D23 Expo,” said Steven Clark, head of D23. “As a result, a legion of Storm Troopers from the 501st Battalion will be patrolling the Anaheim Convention Center on Saturday, September 12.”

And Saturday September 12th also happens to be the same day that Jay Rasulo, Head of Disney Parks and Resorts will be speaking. Will there be a Star Tours 2.0 announcement? Or will the guests be treated to one of those lame dance offs from Disney’s Star Wars weekends? Lets hope not.

:chew :chew

About time. I went to Universal Studios yesterday and tried the Simpson's ride for the first time. If they could something like that for Star Tours....:drool

I can't wait to see the revamp.

I don't have many pictures with charaters. The only one's I have are

Goofy
Pluto
Tigger
Chip
Mickey Mouse
Buzz Lightyear
Stitch(Can't find it :( )
Tweedle Dee
Tweedle Dum
Pluto(again)
Donald Duck(Frontieer Land Outfit)
Tinkerbelle
Rosetta
Iridessa

I hope to add the following next friday: Chip, Dale, Goofy, Pinocchio, Captain Hook, Buzz, Woody, Ariel, Beast, and Belle.

I can now add to this list

Chip(again)
Dale
Mickey Mouse(Sorcerer's Apprentice)
Mr. Incredible
Elastigirl
Carl Fredricksen
Dug
Russel
Woody
Buzz Lightyear(again)
Sulley
Cinderella
Belle
Aurora

I take it you went to park today? How was it? Very crowded? Did they have a sign saying when Sapce Mountain and the Blue Line are going to open again?

Went yesterday. Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Wasn't really croweded. Mostly due to the weather. Didn't have to stand in lines long either. I didn't see any signs about when those were opening.

Also I was suprised that thay have Monorail Pink running already.

Went yesterday. Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Wasn't really croweded. Mostly due to the weather. Didn't have to stand in lines long either. I didn't see any signs about when those were opening.

Also I was suprised that thay have Monorail Pink running already.

We saw Pink running on our trip, and that started July 19th. We were really surpised too but when you stop and think about it they replace fallen trees overnight so I'm sure they have backups for all the techno stuff as well.

I'm sure they have several spares and some GIANT rolls of various colors of electrical tape ready to go at a moment's notice...

True, but the reason I was suprised was because there was talks of Pink and Purple being retired.

Liberace would roll over in his grave...

So,
Believe it or not... I'm going for the FIRST time ever to Disneyland on September 3rd!! :rock :rock!!!
Why? you may ask... long story short:
I'm from Mexico originally and I have 2 sisters and one brother, so imagine a 6 people trip to Disneyland... yep expensive... never got the chance to go...
When I got married, we went to Disney World though and it was great!.

Last year we moved to San Diego from Chicago, and finally managed to set a date for Disneyland!!! My birthday for free!! :lol! I'm just so happy I'll finally be at the original park that started it all!!

I'm very excited, but I'm sure I won't be able to see everything... we're planning on coming back maybe for Halloween and in November for my wife's birthday!! :rock:rock!

Congrats Kuzeh! Have fun! Happy early birthday. :fest

Back