Voltron re-launch!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's already a given that anybody that liked the original is destined to hate this already, but I actually don't think it's too bad. It looks like it's right up the ally of little kids who this show is targeted for anyway, so no point in being negative towards it without even watching a single episode. With that being said, the thing I'm looking forward to most is the new toys:clap

That looks like ____. Terrible cellshaded CGI, bland character designs and it looks like it was animated in flash. The only good thing about it was the design for Voltron. I hope the writing is good, because if it isn't, this will be a flaming, unwatchable turd.

Gotta say... this was kind of my first reaction as well.

That looks like ____. Terrible cellshaded CGI, bland character designs and it looks like it was animated in flash. The only good thing about it was the design for Voltron. I hope the writing is good, because if it isn't, this will be a flaming, unwatchable turd.

says the person who's embraced the Bayformers design.

I like the look of the new lions but not really liking the CG cartoony stuff. I will wait for new toy designs, not re-hashes of classic voltron that I already have enough of.

It's already a given that anybody that liked the original is destined to hate this already, but I actually don't think it's too bad. It looks like it's right up the ally of little kids who this show is targeted for anyway, so no point in being negative towards it without even watching a single episode. With that being said, the thing I'm looking forward to most is the new toys:clap

I'm all for new takes as well. Hell, I usually give them all a chance and I can see the good sides of them, even with ones that some members here hate, like GI Joe Renegades. And I know that shows have to appeal to kids, sometimes in different ways then when we were young.

But this feels so...Cheap. The animation is poor, the character designs are lazy, the choice to include kid sidekicks is predictable and formulatic. It doesn't feel like a show that had love and effort put into it. It feels more like a movie by studio executives to cash in on the current update/reboot train while trying to spend as little money as possible.

At least Voltron itself looks cool. :(

You pay first and pick up at the Con, stay tuned to MattyCollector.com when they open pre-orders, no info on that yet though.

:hi5:

I hear you, the masterpiece one is awesome, but I think this one looks great and jumped out of the cartoon!

:rock!

Info and pics:

Voltron_001_md.jpg

Voltron_002_md.jpg

Voltron_003_md.jpg

Voltron_004_md.jpg

I gotta say, I'm a little underwhelmed by this, too.

I don't know. I guess I just like my Voltron to be BIG, made of metal preferably, and certainly able to disassemble and transform into five lions... but maybe that's just me! :dunno

I'm MUCH more excited about this:

...ALSO, though they had nothing on display, I was able to ask one of the Mattel reps about the new Voltron Classics line. I learned that it is coming in about 5-6 months, each lion will be around $30 each, with diecast parts, spring actions, articulated figures that fit in each lion, sold on MattyCollector.com, and fully combined into Voltron is over 2-3 feet! Also, each will come with a part to build the blazing sword!

They also mentioned that the classic Voltron toys will only be on Matty Collector at first, but once the new series toys hit retail for a little bit, they plan to start mixing the two at retail.

Yep, thats what Im talking about. Id be interested in a diecast version, especially something that big.

I'm amazed how harsh we tend to be these days.

I watch the old ones all the time and I have to say the voice acting is bad, the animation antiquated but the spirit of it all brings me in and I love it.

Really odd how hard we can be on things so simple.

I'm amazed how harsh we tend to be these days.

I watch the old ones all the time and I have to say the voice acting is bad, the animation antiquated but the spirit of it all brings me in and I love it.

Really odd how hard we can be on things so simple.

well, it's really what happens when nostalgia is involved. You tend to overlook/not remember a lot of the bad things about it. And then when a company tries to re-boot it for todays kids, pitchforks come out from people who won't even watch it just because "it's not their Voltron and it'll never be the same". well, duh:lol

LOL I remember re watching Voltron and laughing at the Indian speaking alien I was like WTF? not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Anyone watching the premiere...so far Im trying to give it a chance. Its just so kiddy. 90 min commercial free

Yeah, it just seemed to kiddy for me. I still like the design of the Lions, but the over all style of the show I just couldnt get into.

Well the new articulated figure isn't bad. I like the bright colors and it definately is Voltron. However, even as a kid I never got into a Voltron figure that didn't actually separate into the lions. But if they make a good figure that separates I'll likely get it. It doesn't even have to have die-cast in it. I've got the masterpiece Voltron for my display piece. I wouldn't mind having one I could play with. And I totally mean "play" too. I will sit in my bed and make all the sound effects from the original show while he beats up imaginary ro-beasts. Hey speaking of ro-beasts that's a toy that needs to be made. All the old school ones just didn't really work for me.

yeah i they did a robeast Id buy it for sure as long as it looked like a quality piece. As for the toys I'll just wait to see how they present the newly designed lions and hoping they do Vehicle Voltron as well.

Back