Voltron re-launch!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuzeh

Machete Don't Tweet!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in the Super Robots thread, but might as well have it's own thread...:yess: on the re-launch... not so sure if Mattel is the right one for this though... :dunno

https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118020276.html?categoryid=1050&cs=1

TV and toys set to relaunch 'Voltron'
Latest project to scrap plans to reboot via bigscreen
By MARC GRASER

The reintroduction of "Voltron: Defender of the Universe" will begin with an animated series on Nicktoons and a new toy line from Mattel rather than leap straight onto the bigscreen.
That's the plan from rights holders World Event Prods and Classic Media, which are attempting to relaunch the massive robot, popular in the 1980s, to a new generation.

It's the latest of several properties to scrap plans for an initial film in favor of relaunching the brand through TV and toys.

Warner Bros.' animation aims to produce an anime-influenced version of "ThunderCats" for Cartoon Network to revive the '80s property, which has had a feature treatment stuck in development.

Likewise billionaire Haim Saban bought back "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" from Disney last month for about $100 million to reboot as TV shows on Nickelodeon and toys.

Starting next year, Nicktoons will air 26 half-hour episodes of "Voltron Force," about five space explorers who pilot robotic lions that combine to form Voltron, an invincible guardian sworn to defend the Universe.

Series will remain faithful to the old show, while introducing new recruits to fight alongside the original characters.

New episodes will be timed to the 25th anniverseries. It's the first "Voltron" TV project in 10 years, although an iPhone game came out in December.

WEP and Classic Media ("Casper the Friendly Ghost," "Where's Waldo?") will produce the toon with Kickstart Prods. ("Wolverine and the X-Men"). Classic Media is shepherding international distribution, merchandising and licensing deals.

Mattel will tie-in with the anniversary to launch toys based on the classic "Voltron" range, as well as action figures and playsets that revolve around an edgier, modernized robot. There is no date on when the toys will hit shelves.

"What's paramount is getting the toys right," Ted Koplar, president of St. Louis-based WEP told Daily Variety. "They're pretty involved toys that have to transform and fit together."

WEP and Classic Media had been developing a live action feature for some time but scribes, including Justin Marks, have yet to lock down the right tone, producers said.

Hasbro took the opposite approach with "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe," relying on the first films in the franchises in 2007 and 2009 to introduce new toys for the lines.

The move to TV makes sense: "Transformers," "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" and "G.I. Joe" were introduced to kids via shows produced by Hasbro and Mattel to sell toys. "It's an exciting way to introduce the brand to a generation that isn't familiar with 'Voltron,'" Koplar said.

Contact Marc Graser at [email protected].

:rock :yess: :rock :yess: :rock :yess: :rock :yess: :rock

I'm loving all of this 80's revival goodness!!

I have the Toynami Masterpiece Voltron, but am interested in seeing what Mattel does with this. Great news!!

Did the CGI show do very well? I remember seeing toys... but didn't get the sense that the reboot was a success.

Anyway, interested in seeing how this goes. I think cartoon series are a better fit than going for a movie.

Talk about double-dipping. They get our money when we're kids, now that we're all grown up with real money to spend they plan on taking more from us now.

I had the original Voltron toy set when I was a kid and it absolutely sucked. The thing was so F'n heavy you couldn't do anything with it once it was assembled (each lion had numerous die-cast metal parts) and if you tried to move it too much the pieces came apart. So it was basically a statue. Impressive.. but completely worthless to a kid.

is it really that hard to come up with new ideas for a kid show now? :dunno

Talk about double-dipping. They get our money when we're kids, now that we're all grown up with real money to spend they plan on taking more from us now.

I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. The marketing in the 80's was really brilliant. They were able to capture the hearts and minds of kids (and their parents wallets) and now 20+ years later we're so conditioned that we're willing to open up our own wallets :lol

Wonder if they were predicting this kind of impact, or if it was just a happy surprise?

:pfft::lol I just remember Vehicle Voltron as a kid. Never grew up with t'other show...

There were three that I remember. Version 1 which was the lions, version 2 which was the vehicles and a version 3 which never aired in the U.S. but was 3-robots who combined into Voltron.

I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. The marketing in the 80's was really brilliant. They were able to capture the hearts and minds of kids (and their parents wallets) and now 20+ years later we're so conditioned that we're willing to open up our own wallets :lol

Wonder if they were predicting this kind of impact, or if it was just a happy surprise?

gotta love the 80's.:yess:
even toy ads on tv those days are damn nostalgic.

Vehicle Voltron or NOTHING

Vehicle Voltron is probably the only toy that I've been wanting an update for and I've been waiting for years now:impatient: Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line seems to be updating every mecha under the sun except Dairugger XV:monkey2 Here's my Dairugger XV with the MP Voltron
DSC00996.jpg

Back